Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Conflicting error reports on hard drives.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463
    I think I can see the issue here.
    I think I can see the issue here.

Before I throw my hard drive out the window and go to buy a new one I thought I would post my problem here and see what you fine folks think of the situation.

So, over the last few days I have been getting weird errors when trying to download large files with utorrent and when I did some research it turned out that they are apparently related to disk read errors. So naturally I download the first free hard drive checking program I can find. I'm using a program called HD Tune. The first time I ran HD Tune it gave me several errors with my hard drive while the built in disk checker in windows gave 0 errors, and when I try to use the official seagate program it caused my entire PC to lock up and freeze the second I started the program before it could do anything. I have since tried to install the official seagate tool several times with the same result. Hard lock up. Apparently it's a problem as there are several threads on the forums with many people having this issue with, sadly as usual, no response from the manufacturer.

I'm guessing then that the built in windows checking software is crap? Other than these issue while downloading files on utorrent and this HD Tune program saying my hard drive has errors I'm not seeing any problems with my computer running. My OS is installed on a M7 SSD, which is fine, but I have a 2TB seagate ST2000DM001 that I'm using for media and games which is the one I'm having the problem with.

Any suggestions on where to go from here would be appreciated. Aswell, here is the current results of the ongoing scan as I type this.

No Caption Provided

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I recommend SpinRite if you aren't able to salvage important files and need them, but it costs as much as a new hard drive.

https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

I am assuming your screenshot is just bad sectors? All platter drives have bad sectors. That's just the way it is. I wouldn't worry about that unless you are seeing a lot of red. Nothing should actually be attempted to write to those sectors because the hard drive is supposed to flag them and not write data to them in normal input. I am not sure if this tool is showing sectors already flagged or not.

For what you want, you probably want to open command and run good ol' "chkdsk /R" or "chkdsk /B". /R will attempt to recover data in bad clusters it finds and mark those sectors as bad so the file system doesn't use it anymore. /B will do the same thing, but it will actually re-evaluate ones that are already marked as bad.

Good luck. I would start backing stuff up now while you can just to be safe. It's going to actually be tricky to diagnose it if only uTorrent is having a problem. Usually a hard drive failing causes a lot more problems than a single error in one program.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By crusader8463

@tycobb said:

I recommend SpinRite if you aren't able to salvage important files and need them, but it costs as much as a new hard drive.

https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

I am assuming your screenshot is just bad sectors? All platter drives have bad sectors. That's just the way it is. I wouldn't worry about that unless you are seeing a lot of red. Nothing should actually be attempted to write to those sectors because the hard drive is supposed to flag them and not write data to them in normal input. I am not sure if this tool is showing sectors already flagged or not.

For what you want, you probably want to open command and run good ol' "chkdsk /R" or "chkdsk /B". /R will attempt to recover data in bad clusters it finds and mark those sectors as bad so the file system doesn't use it anymore. /B will do the same thing, but it will actually re-evaluate ones that are already marked as bad.

Good luck. I would start backing stuff up now while you can just to be safe. It's going to actually be tricky to diagnose it if only uTorrent is having a problem. Usually a hard drive failing causes a lot more problems than a single error in one program.

That's what has me confused about this. I have had other hard drives fail on me in the past and other then this one program I'm not noticing any of the other warning signs. I will give the command prompt codes you suggested a try and see what comes up. Maybe try a different torrent program too and see if they run into the same issue.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By VACkillers

let us know if you ever fixed this issue.... SpinRite is a superb! piece of software but this still could be the very early signs of a harddrive just starting to go bad though.... don't want to alarm you or anything but you could be on burrowed time so just take that into consideration as well, might be worth just getting a new harddrive anyway, their not terribly expensive these days now. At the moment its only a few bad sectors but the windows built in software actually isn't too bad, there are better programs out there of course like guy above me posted, SpinRite. How long have you had these drives? Post a follow up anyway I'm curious how you got on with the DOS checks.......

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vackillers: The DOS checks checked out fine and after deleting and retrying the affected torrents they completed with no problems this time. I think it was just an error with utorrent misreading something. As I said, I have literally not seen any problems on the hard drive outside of that one error and all the information on the error said bad hard drive which is why I wanted to check to be sure. It's a new PC and less then a year old. I already found a replacement HD should I see more signs pop up. Nothing valuable on there even if it fries. It's just used to store my media files, and while it would suck to loose TBs of media and need to redownload it all, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.