Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Could someone look over this build please? :)

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JazzyJeff

Hello! Just making sure everything is compatible and everything.

- Corsair CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 XMS3 8 GB PC3-12800 Core i5 Memory Kit

- Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA II 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD10EARS

- Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155

- ASUS P8P67 PRO

- Cooler Master Elite Mid Tower Case, RC-310-BWN1-GP

- EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB 1024 MB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card 01G-P3-1556-KR

- SilverStone Element ST60EF 600W ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

It's all being ordered at Amazon for $807.94. I am tempted to go with a different video card, but the 560 Ti is $100 more. I'd rather just upgrade in a year or so.

If anyone knows of any extra cables/components I'll need, that would be helpful too.

All comments/suggestions are appreciated!

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By amomjc

No idea, but I do like your rig sir. However, is the 550 worth it? I have always seen anything under the "60" mark isn't wonderful.

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JazzyJeff

@csoup: I'm not super knowledgeable, but it seems like a decent mid-range card. Going off websites and user reviews, anyways.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Surkov

If your going to go for a GFX card in that price range, buy a 460 GTX 1gb over a 550 GTX. The extra $20 is worth it.  

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Jadeskye

@JazzyJeff: Thats a solid machine, i would spring for the 560Ti personally just to futureproof, the 550 isn't so hot. I'd also look at a Z68 board instead of a p67 purely down to featureset and overclocking as you've taken advantage of the excellent 2500K CPU.

You might want to get a caviar black hard drive instead of the caviar green. i've got 2 greens in my home server, while they're excellent drives, they're sluggish in terms of speed. Best used for storage, not operating system and application.

8 gigs of ram is overkill but it probably won't be in the future and RAM is pretty cheap so sure, i can get behind that.

You won't need anything else, cable or component wise, everything will come in the power supply and motherboard box.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Surkov
    @jadeskye: I would say a p67 board is fine. I doubt the OP will need SSD caching or the on board GPU. 
    JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JazzyJeff

Thank you for the suggestions!

@Surkov: I will definitely look into that. Thanks!

@jadeskye: You are awesome. Thanks. I'll look into the hard drive, and I agree the RAM is overkill. I was going to go with 6GB, but it didn't seem like the price difference was that much.

@billnyethesciencepie: Yeah, I don't know. I was thinking of going with 6GB.

SeanTheBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SeanTheBomb

550ti is fine for most things but if you are looking to be playing BF3 on higher settings I would say go for 560.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Surkov
    @billnyethesciencepie: because RAM is cheap right now. For $70 you can get 8 gigs of RAM. When I bought my computer I paid $105 for 4 gigs and that was 9 months ago. 
    Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Dark_Jon

Looks good but you might want to consider a small SSD to install your OS on. You can turn your computer on and have everything running in 20 seconds. If not, that's cool too.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Jadeskye

@JazzyJeff said:

Thank you for the suggestions!

@Surkov: I will definitely look into that. Thanks!

@jadeskye: You are awesome. Thanks. I'll look into the hard drive, and I agree the RAM is overkill. I was going to go with 6GB, but it didn't seem like the price difference was that much.

@billnyethesciencepie: Yeah, I don't know. I was thinking of going with 6GB.

Don't go 6gb, the 6gb kits are for x58 chipsets that support triple channel ram. the p67 h67 and z68 boards are dual channel.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By subject2change

Why are you buying from Amazon? NewEgg will be better incase you need to RMA anything. Also Free Ship (1-2 Day normally pending on your location) compared to like a week long free ship at Amazon. 

Don't use a Green Drive for your Operating System. Use it for storage ONLY. Go WD Black for OS/Apps. I'd suggest you buy like a 500GB Hard Drive for OS/APPS and use the 1TB for Storage of music, movies, whatever.

8gigs of RAM is fine, if its 2x4GB go with that, do not get a 4x2GB kit. 

If you are going to OC (assuming you are cause of the K version), get some after market cooling. The H70 is nice or the Coolermaster V8, also Noctua makes some great coolers.

Otherwise looks fine. Go 460 instead of 550 or just got 560 and not upgrade later. GL.

Also look at different cases, take a look at the Antec 300. That one doesn't seem very roomy and may have cooling issues.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Gav47

Don't bother with the extra 4GB of RAM, what you have is plenty for gaming and normal use. If you have the $70 to spare put it into a better Gfx card.

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ocean_H

You should have gone with the GTX560Ti. 550 is in the low end. Btw, should have gone to Newegg instead of Amazon.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RsistncE
    @JazzyJeff: The 560 is worth the extra $100, it is by far the best bang for your buck card out there right now (especially the one from MSI with the Frozr cooler). Additionally get the Caviar Black instead of green; price performance on that drive is better (although it is louder, but that's usually drowned out by fans and other noises anyways). Haven't looked extremely in depth into the other stuff but looks fine. Have fun!
    JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JazzyJeff

@jadeskye: Ah, okay. Glad I didn't make that mistake.

@Subject2Change: I have Amazon Prime. I'll price it out with NewEgg and Tiger Direct, and see what I come up with. Thanks for the hard drive suggestion. The 1.5 TB black is decently priced, so I may go with that. I'll also put some more thought into the video card. Thanks for the suggestions!

@Gav47: I'll take this into consideration. Thanks!

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    @Surkov: I love gtx 460!
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bybeach

I'd upgrade the quality rating of your PSU, and if possible make it a 650-750. The Video card might be a 560, and the CPU is 'very' okay for your set-up. Sure the hell ain't going to get 'too much' out of me.I agree about geting the Caviar black with others, Also. sure liked that Cooler Master sniper case used by Tested, good design for most part.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I'll add another vote for upgrading to a GTX560 plus spending a little more on the PSU to get a 750w or bigger means you are ready to add another GTX560 sometime in the future, when or if you feel the need for it. Also Subject2Change talked about getting ram as 2 sticks not 4, having 4 sticks of ram reduces your overclocking potential, it might look better but 2 sticks will perform better.

Ghooble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ghooble
    @Surkov: My 4gb of RAM cost $50 2 years ago. Where are you buying yours? lol
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SeriouslyNow

560Ti for sure. The 550 isn't for BF3 at max settings.

That RAM isn't much good for overclocking (if you plan on extending your system's life) - go for some PC2000 C8 RAM.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ArcLyte

with geforce cards you wanna bump up to a card in the "60" range or higher if you want very good game performance.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Tsoglani
    @billnyethesciencepie said:
    I dont get why anyone feels the need to get over 5gb of RAM
    You need more to play certain games; I have 4GB and can't play the Witcher 2. That said, most games are fine with 4 or so, but I can see that in the future we will need more.
    lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By lethalki11ler
    @Tsoglani said:
    You need more to play certain games; I have 4GB and can't play the Witcher 2. That said, most games are fine with 4 or so, but I can see that in the future we will need more.
    The Witcher 2 is very gfx dependent, 2GB with the proper gfx card and processor will get your running maxed out (i think)
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Contro
    @JazzyJeff

Awesome choice on the mobo, I bought one myself recently :)   The P8 will give you 3.8Ghz  on a i5 2500k, at the switch of a button on the mobo (it goes through auto testing), make sure you have good cooling though, I'm using the tiny CPU cooler below, but I do have an open rig.

I wouldn't get an 8 Gig kit unless your running CAD programes. 4 Gig is sufficient for gaming.  A 600w PSU is a bit meagher, even if sufficient for this rig. If you do intend on getting a 560 Ti + ----, as well as new drives etc down the line, it would be better to invest in 700w at the very least.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Jackel2072

why not? i have 16 gigs of ram but its kind of a funny story how i ended up with that much.

OT - go with a 560 Ti. i have one and its a wonderful card.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's called Adobe Photoshop and Premiere.

Ghooble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ghooble

For a case I would suggest the Corsair 600T (color pending on your preference). It's massive for a midtower, has great build quality and great airflow. Very solid case imo 
    -Ghooble

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShockD
    @LethalKi11ler said:
    @Tsoglani said:
    The Witcher 2 is very gfx dependent, 2GB with the proper gfx card and processor will get your running maxed out (i think)
    And it's not only the Witcher 2. The GPU is crucial for playing games, no matter what game it is. Even if the CPU and RAM are below the minimum requirements, you should still be able to play it on high settings if you have a good GPU.
    lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By lethalki11ler
    @antikorper: I think you're right as long as the CPU isn't too low so that it bottlenecks the GPU, having a Pentium IV and a GTX 570 is going to render the power of the 570 useless and it will run as well as a low end 300-series.
    ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ghost_cat
    @Dark_Jon said:
    Looks good but you might want to consider a small SSD to install your OS on. You can turn your computer on and have everything running in 20 seconds. If not, that's cool too.
    If you have the extra cash, do as the man said.  It will be worth it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.