Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Decent Gaming Notebook?

jereico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jereico

So right now I'm running on an absolutely garbage year-and-a-half-old HP with integrated graphics and about 5 minutes of battery life.  I've come to the conclusion that this absolutely sucks, since it's really not good for much.  Since I'd like to replace this hopefully within the next year or so, I'd like an idea as to what to look for.  I don't play anything too intense, but I'd like to be able to play something along the level of Borderlands or SC2.  I don't mind turning down graphics settings, but as it stands, these games run at about 4 fps, if at all. 

So what sorts of benchmarks are we talking about these days for a decent laptop to play some games?

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @jereico:  First and foremost, if you are not willing to spend at least $800 or so (though more will certainly get you a higher-performing machine), a gaming laptop is not a worthwhile endeavor. You might be able to get some good discounts on Black Friday but nothing is guaranteed.

Second, video card will almost always be the bottleneck for games on laptops. For something like Borderlands, look for ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 or higher, or Nvidia GT 320M or higher.

After finding laptops with the hardware you want, other stuff (feel of the keyboard, battery life, etc.) comes down to personal preference.

If you just want a recommendation on a specific notebook, this one looks pretty good. Obviously, this is a rather large purchase so be sure to do your own research and don't take my word for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.