Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Dualshock 4 PC-dongle, controller won't work.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By HellBrendy

I got one of the Dualshock 4 dongles Sony recently released for PC and I can't get it to work in-game.

I have connected the controller to the dongle and I know it works in the menus in Big Picture on Steam (where it is shown as a Xbox-controller). It also sends the audio through the controller.

Have I missed anything?

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
    deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Isn't that thing specifically designed to work with Remote Play and PS Now? If a game doesn't have Dualshock 4 support, it won't work out of the box. You'll still need a third party program like InputMapper or DS4Windows, though it seems that those might not work correctly if you use the dongle instead of just the USB cable or direct Bluetooth.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither the box nor the manual says anything about Remote Play or PS Now, it's just named "Dualshock 4 USB Wireless Adaptor".

I used DS4 earlier but it stopped working all of a sudden, and having read about this dongle I thought it would finally be a proper solution from Sony itself.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I was thinking about getting this, and read a bunch of reviews that seemed to say similar things, that the controller doesn't work in Steam games. This review is the highest-ranked negative one on Amazon.

It looks like it still works as a bluetooth adapter, so you might be able to get something like http://www.x360ce.com/ or http://ds4windows.com/ working with it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Neither the box nor the manual says anything about Remote Play or PS Now, it's just named "Dualshock 4 USB Wireless Adaptor".

I used DS4 earlier but it stopped working all of a sudden, and having read about this dongle I thought it would finally be a proper solution from Sony itself.

Well the thing is games have to support it since x-input is a microsoft thing. I haven't used my ds4 in a while and have been reading ds4windows is having issues at least in windows 10 recently, input mapper might be able to work for you.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HellBrendy

Well, crap. That sucks, even though it wasn't all too expenisve. I'll hang on to it though, maybe the recent news about Valve is opening up for native Dualshock 4 support on Steam gives it some use.

Thanks!

chadwick359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chadwick359

The adapter does nothing to add to add XInput support to the controller natively, you will still need a helper application for games that don't support DirectInput (and potentially even for some that do.)

Windows 10's device enumeration is weird/somewhat broken, XInput wrappers require a bit of a helping hand in order to work correctly. The developer(s) for InputMapper has written a script that automates the process. You can also perform the same action in CMD or the device manager if you're up to the task:

https://inputmapper.com/downloads/download/5-tools/63-duleshock-4-exclusive-mode-tool

https://youtu.be/EsfsTfZnPh8?t=91

The bit that I'm unsure on is if this fix will actually play nice with Sony's adapter, as I understand that it enables some features that the base driver and DirectInput support did not (audio output and trackpad.)

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HellBrendy

@chadwick359: At this point I don't really need the adaptor, I already got the cable and controller obviously. I was hoping to avoid using third party programs but I have to. Thanks for the Youtube link, hope it will help me.

Gah,I can't get anything to work. It doesn't really help that I'm Norwegian with Windows in Norwegian either. *sigh*

chadwick359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By chadwick359

@hellbrendy: I had a heck of a time getting the manual workaround to perform correctly with my controller being wired, however the tool in the first link has been successful in both wired and wireless tests, and is how I primarily use my DS4 (in conjunction with Input Mapper itself) currently.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chadwick359: I finally got DS4 to work, even wireless. No use for the dongle I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.