Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Good Gaming Keyboard

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mikewhy

I'm using an old (really old), bad (really bad), no-numpad-but-wired Apple keyboard for my PC.

It's just awful, the ghosting, the fact that I have to run some shoddy third-party app to get the volume keys to work (and there's no Fn inverting).

It's probably time to get an actual keyboard. Thing is, I'm finicky as heck. So I was hoping people here might have some suggestions.

What I like:

• Media Controls that are separate from Function keys.
    • Anti-ghosting

What I don't like:

Something like the Das Keyboard 4 Professional is up my alley, but not at that price point.

So yeah, anyone have any suggestions. Or should not even bother with this and go for a cheap logitech thing.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What... is "ghosting"?

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mikewhy

When keys don't register if too many are down, or too close to others.

Like if I'm holding "W" and "A", then "2" doesn't register.

Keyboard Ghosting Explained.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crap, I never even knew this was a thing.

Sorry, I am no help! :-)

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Franstone
    BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By BoboBones

Well, you wouldn't like what I use, but it does have anti ghosting. I have a Corsair Vengance K70 (non rgb) I got a good deal on it while at Best Buy years ago. Not a single issue, but like I said, not your thing. I really enjoy the way it feels

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816010

For work, I use a Mac style membrane keyboard made for a specific piece of software

This might be more up your alley.

https://kotaku.com/topre-realforce-rgb-keyboard-review-life-beyond-the-ru-1795217305

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@franstone:I was looking at that one too. Especially since Rorie's been preaching about the volume knob.

@bobobones: that Realforce one looks real nice! But at +$400CAD, I'll have to admire from a distance.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By fatalbanana

I have been using the Logitech G110 for forever and I'm a huge fan of it.

No Caption Provided

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By AlexW00d

@franstone said:

This Logitech has been on my radar for a bit, people seem to like it according to reviews/articles I've read.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BBKYM3I/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2ORK360DF77FD&colid=UJH6QQCV65US

Has mechanical keys but they're supposedly just as or more quiet than cherry blue switches, dedicated media keys as well.

FYI Blues are the loudest, so them being the same volume is the last thing op wants.

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:
    @franstone said:

This Logitech has been on my radar for a bit, people seem to like it according to reviews/articles I've read.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BBKYM3I/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2ORK360DF77FD&colid=UJH6QQCV65US

Has mechanical keys but they're supposedly just as or more quiet than cherry blue switches, dedicated media keys as well.

FYI Blues are the loudest, so them being the same volume is the last thing op wants.

Those are Romer-G switches, which are Logitech's own proprietary mechanical switches. I have them in 2 of my current Logitech keyboards, and they are no where near as loud as Cherry MX Blue switches.

The Romer-G switches are almost as loud as Cherry MX Red switches, yet still maintains a slight actuation bump similar to MX Brown switches.

Any Logitech keyboard with Romer-G switches should be fine if noise is a concern, they're one of the most quietest switches available. Just don't expect any 100% mechanical keyboard to be as quiet as a membrane keyboard, because there's always plastic clacking on plastic with mechanical switches.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Franstone
    Bratcher_Lev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Bratcher_Lev
    No Caption Provided

This is MY gaming keyboard.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the Logitech G710+. It's a mechanical keyboard around $70. It has everything you asked for plus it's non-RGB. It may be a tad pricey but you will be treating your fingers nicely for years.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone!

The Logitech 810 is $90CAD cheaper today, so I went for it! It being mechanical is fine, I just don't want switches that are loud for loudness' sake.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.