Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Got a weird monitor error today......

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By teh_destroyer

I tried running Left4Dead,but once the game started running my screen went blank and I got an error on my monitor that said "Out of Range Frequency", I have never had something like this before. Especially while playing Left4Dead, everything else on my pc is running just fine. I can even load up Mass Effect without any problems. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

It sounds like the game tried to run at a resolution or refresh rate higher than your monitor supported.  Did it just happen for a split second?  What kind of monitor do you have (CRT or LCD?)

I wouldn't worry about it if the problem doesn't continue.

Big_Fact_Hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Big_Fact_Hunt

Hmm, sounds familiar. Have you reinstalled L4D recently? For some reason it defaults (I think) to 1280x1024. A lot of users get a blank screen but can hear the audio just fine. If that sounds similar then I suggest changing your desktop res to 1280x1024. If it launches ok after that then you can go into the graphics options and change it to whatever you used before and it should be fine on subsequent launches.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

Rub peanut butter on it.  I hear that helps.

Anyways, it sounds like you were not only running too high of a resolution, but your hertz might be off from what they need to be...as your hertz will usually involve the "frequency" on your monitor.
    teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By teh_destroyer

I fixed it, the monitor was complaining about the resolution, as I set the launch options to start up at 800x600 the game starts up with no problems, I can even change the resolution in game up to 1280x1024 and it will run just fine. Weird fix, but it works.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince
    jakob187 said:
    Rub peanut butter on it. I hear that helps.Anyways, it sounds like you were not only running too high of ... [more]
    It does.
    teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By teh_destroyer
    LiquidPrince said:
    jakob187 said: Rub peanut butter on it. I hear that helps.Anyways, it sounds like you were not only running too ... [more]
    lol, nice try. that would be a last resort considering I just threw $600 at upgrading my pc >_>

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.