Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Got my Six Core CPU Computer Up and Running.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

The AM2+ Mobo  
     The AM2+ Mobo  
    Well, some of you may have seen my previous and first blog, which announced that I bought a six core AMD Phenom II X6 1090 6-core CPU from Newegg.  With the help of two very kind Giantbombers (many thanks to Slasherman and Ham08), I was able to choose a motherboard to use.  Thanks to the others who helped me get a shit ton of views and 92 comments on my very first blog. 

The fabled processor in all its blurry glory.
    But, it's the future now, and it's my second blog.  And my shit's come in the mail.  Well, not literally my shit.  That would be kind of fucked up.  Anyway. 

I spent most of the day yesterday setting it up, and, like most times that you perform a major heart/brain transplant on a computer, there were times where I could have sworn it didn't work, and times I ended up with wires and didn't know where the hell they went..  But, eventually, I made it all fit into my case somehow, and it is now fully operational with a new version of windows.  And, boy, you don't realize what  you got 'til it's gone.  Holy Christ, it's a pain in the ass to install all my new programs again.  The minute I finished that sentence I just finished installing Vista SP1.  I have zero games installed right now, and as my internet is a remarkably slow piece of shit, chances are it will take me 2 more years to download them all again.   

But enough of my bitching.  Let's talk about the performance of this little sucker, huh? 

The CPU naked.
     The CPU naked.
    As soon as Windows was installed it became apparent just how much of an upgrade from my shitty Pentium D this was.  Opening up a Windows Exlorer window is fucking instant.  Not a one second, two second, half second delay.  Instant.  My computer reboots about 3 times faster now; it's pretty fucking miraculous.   Right now I'm sitting at a Windows Rating of 5.9, as opposed to about 4.7 or something around there that I was at before.  I've tried looking at the Can You Run It? site, and I sat at about halfway between required and recommended before.  Now I sit at maximum (right up to the fast side of the bar). 

But all these tests mean close to nothing if the game cannot perform in-game.  So, I transferred over an old installation of Crysis from my Program Files folder to my new one, and fired up the infamous resource hog.  Before, I had to run this game on Medium/Low settings.  My GPU, a GTX 280, could certainly handle it, but my Pentium D was waaay out of its league.   

At the time of playing Crysis I did not have Fraps installed, and, as such, have not benchmarked it.  But judging my feel, I was running it at max settings with 25+ FPS with no shooting, and it dropped to low 20s when shooting started happening and buildings started collapsing around me.   I will post benchmarks of this and other games in an upcoming blog. 

FOR THOSE WHO WILL SAY TL;DR, HERE'S A LONG STORY SHORT: I am fucking ecstatic right now.  I was playing Crysis yesterday with max settings while running Windows Updater, transferring 50 GBs of files to my computer, downloading a game from Steam, and I had a stable framerate with my CPU usage at ~50 to 60% or less.
    I couldn't be happier with the purchase, certainly worth the money.  Now to stop posting this blog and getting back to installing drivers, so I can actually play games on this beast of a machine.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The AM2+ Mobo  
     The AM2+ Mobo  
    Well, some of you may have seen my previous and first blog, which announced that I bought a six core AMD Phenom II X6 1090 6-core CPU from Newegg.  With the help of two very kind Giantbombers (many thanks to Slasherman and Ham08), I was able to choose a motherboard to use.  Thanks to the others who helped me get a shit ton of views and 92 comments on my very first blog. 

But, it's the future now, and it's my second blog.  And my shit's come in the mail.  Well, not literally my shit.  That would be kind of fucked up.  Anyway. 

I spent most of the day yesterday setting it up, and, like most times that you perform a major heart/brain transplant on a computer, there were times where I could have sworn it didn't work, and times I ended up with wires and didn't know where the hell they went..  But, eventually, I made it all fit into my case somehow, and it is now fully operational with a new version of windows.  And, boy, you don't realize what  you got 'til it's gone.  Holy Christ, it's a pain in the ass to install all my new programs again.  The minute I finished that sentence I just finished installing Vista SP1.  I have zero games installed right now, and as my internet is a remarkably slow piece of shit, chances are it will take me 2 more years to download them all again.   

But enough of my bitching.  Let's talk about the performance of this little sucker, huh? 

The CPU naked.
     The CPU naked.
    As soon as Windows was installed it became apparent just how much of an upgrade from my shitty Pentium D this was.  Opening up a Windows Exlorer window is fucking instant.  Not a one second, two second, half second delay.  Instant.  My computer reboots about 3 times faster now; it's pretty fucking miraculous.   Right now I'm sitting at a Windows Rating of 5.9, as opposed to about 4.7 or something around there that I was at before.  I've tried looking at the Can You Run It? site, and I sat at about halfway between required and recommended before.  Now I sit at maximum (right up to the fast side of the bar). 

But all these tests mean close to nothing if the game cannot perform in-game.  So, I transferred over an old installation of Crysis from my Program Files folder to my new one, and fired up the infamous resource hog.  Before, I had to run this game on Medium/Low settings.  My GPU, a GTX 280, could certainly handle it, but my Pentium D was waaay out of its league.   

At the time of playing Crysis I did not have Fraps installed, and, as such, have not benchmarked it.  But judging my feel, I was running it at max settings with 25+ FPS with no shooting, and it dropped to low 20s when shooting started happening and buildings started collapsing around me.   I will post benchmarks of this and other games in an upcoming blog. 

FOR THOSE WHO WILL SAY TL;DR, HERE'S A LONG STORY SHORT: I am fucking ecstatic right now.  I was playing Crysis yesterday with max settings while running Windows Updater, transferring 50 GBs of files to my computer, downloading a game from Steam, and I had a stable framerate with my CPU usage at ~50 to 60% or less.
    I couldn't be happier with the purchase, certainly worth the money.  Now to stop posting this blog and getting back to installing drivers, so I can actually play games on this beast of a machine.
    Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Gav47

I'm so fucking jealous, I really want to build a computer now.

theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By theduke

upgrading after long periods of time always feels great
    I went from an old Athlon 64 3000+ single core at 2Ghz to a phenom II x4 925 and it was amazing 
    I'm hoping to milk it out with a nice cooler until 8 core cpu's are around $150 which means I'll probably be going AMD again

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SlasherMan

TL;DR.

j/k

Glad to see you got it up and running. :)

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By emkeighcameron

Are you going to upgrade to W7? Seems a shame to use all that good tech with the inferior Windows version.

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rmills87

My rig: 

CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full Tower 
    Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.8GHz  - Hyper-threading to emulate 8-cores
    6GB OCZ Triple Channel RAM @ 1333MHz PC10666 
    EVGA nVidia GTX 480 
    ASUS P6T X58 Mobo 

Not the best, but with you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.