Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Has my 2500k bit the dust?

ComradePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I thought I'd try a modest (200 MHz) overclock using Easy Tuner which seems was a bad move.

I got one boot to a windows BSOD of inaccessible boot device and now it won't even make it to the BIOS. I've tried resetting the CMOS both through the jumper and battery and swapping the memory into a different slot all with no luck. Anything else I should try before I start scraping together the pennies for replacement parts?

the_devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By the_devoid

Does it show any signs of life when you hit the power button now?

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By dagas

That is odd. A 2500K should be able to overclock much more than that without any problems. And there are safety protocols that are supposed to prevent any kind of permenant damage anyway. I've never destroyed a CPU by overclocking and I've overclocked 1ghz.

Most motherboards these days will automatically go back to a non overclocked state if you overclock so much that your computer crash. You might just have been very unlucky with your CPU or your motherboard is really bad. Either way the 2500K is not exactly new so it might be best to build a new system. If you are short on cash then a used 2500K is not that expensice at this point. You can use a 3570K or 3770K too if your motherboards support it. Most Z67 motherboards got a BIOS update so you can use them with Ivy Bridge CPUs.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Did you touch the voltage at all? If it killed itself on just a 200MHz increase without changing anything else, it was probably on it's last legs anyways.

ComradePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_devoid: It starts up spins the fans for a couple of seconds then restarts. Every now and then it gets as far as the BIOS splash screen and then does the same.

No voltage change, I was just putting a tiny boost to the multiplier to see how it would work out. I did get the 2500k near launch so it has more than done its time I guess. Everything around it has been replaced at least once bar the fans and case. I'm lucky enough to have the spare cash to build something new so a Sunday on PC Part Picker looks like my future. Thanks for the advice.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By rethla

Remove the cpu and see how it starts without it. Then if everything looks normal put it back and try to start. At that point you will know if the CPU or something else is broken.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It does seem odd that such a small OC would kill it, I've had my 2500k sat at 4.4ghz for a solid 3 years now, no probs. I'd assume if it has gone if was gonna go whatever happened, and this was some slight coincidence.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.