Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Help build my Friends PC. (suggestions)

chrisovc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By chrisovc

So my friend got his tax return back, and is looking to build a PC for $800 (will got $5 or $10 over, thats it), When talking to him he wants it for games like Diablo 3, Guild wars 2.

Now he also prefers amd (Ive mainly built Intel) so not entirely sure whats good/bad in that area. I put together a wishlist on newegg and was hoping you guys (and girls) might have some suggestions or swap outs you might do. And only thing he insists on having is the case.

$799.92
    $799.92
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SlasherMan
    1. Why are you getting a 6850 for $180 when you can get a 6870 for $160? The extra memory isn't worth it for anything up to 1920x1080, and neither of those cards are good for anything above that.
    2. The power supply is a bit much for this build. You don't need a TX750 to run this.
    3. I would consider going for an i5-2400 build at this price point.
    4. You can probably find memory with similar specs cheaper than the XMS3.
    5. Get a WD Black drive instead of Blue. Black are the performance Caviar drives.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @SlasherMan said:
    1. Why are you getting a 6850 for $180 when you can get a 6870 for $160? The extra memory isn't worth it for anything up to 1920x1080, and neither of those cards are good for anything above that.
    2. The power supply is a bit much for this build. You don't need a TX750 to run this.
    3. I would consider going for an i5-2400 build at this price point.
    4. You can probably find memory with similar specs cheaper than the XMS3.
    5. Get a WD Black drive instead of Blue. Black are the performance Caviar drives.
    Pretty much this.  Modern games often need more CPU grunt than AMD can deilver (lots of CPU driven physics and AI routines going on at the same time) so an i5-2400 is a much better build.
    Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zelyre

I was just on Amazon, you can get a 6870 for less than that 6850.
    Spend a few extra bucks for a WD Black. 
    Ditch the optical drive if you can.
    Pick up two Noctua fans for the case if you're going for a quieter build. 

I always suggest people never skimp on the power supply and the case. They'll last you the longest, so why skimp? Sure, you could drop the TX750 to something smaller, but if he wants to upgrade in the future, it'd suck having to replace the power supply as well.

NachoBizNas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By NachoBizNas

My two cents:

• Cut the budget for your case in half and buy a GeForce GTX 560 Ti Right now it's 200 on Amazon with rebate.
    • I would keep the optical drive for DVD ripping needs, But if you Cut that out as well you can buy a Caviar Black 1 TB and be a little bit over your budget. (this works out with the lower budget case.)

I'm not a fan of AMD, but i'll respect his opinion of it.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#6  Edited By Kidavenger

@SeriouslyNow said:

Modern games often need more CPU grunt than AMD can deilver

Any specific example you would care to share? Keep in mind we are talking about building a $800 pc here.

astrodoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By astrodoggy

I second the notion of Intel over AMD, the i5-2400 sandy bridge is only $30 over your AMD, and you can afford it if you drop your power supply to a 550 or 600.

Note: the i5-2500 sandy bridge is 209, and seems like a good jump over the 2400, but thats me.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By haffy
    shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By shinboy630

@haffy: While SSD's are awesome, the other parts that you would have to sacrifice to keep it withing the $800 price range aren't worth changing simply to get one.

Tomzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Tomzombie

get a 650 Watt power supply its about 80$-60$.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Subjugation

You don't need that much power for that build. I have an overclocked i5 and a 6870 running on 600w wonderfully. Also, I used to think I was an "AMD guy" as well, and then I got my i5 ... if you can transition that into an Intel build, you won't regret it. Trust me.

chrisovc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By chrisovc

Want to thank everyone who made suggestions. Really helped out! Convinced him to go Intel with the i5-2400. This is what it looks like now.

$806.41 (after shipping and discount promo code)
    $806.41 (after shipping and discount promo code)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.