Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Help buy me a laptop.

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By swordmagic

Let's pretend I'm 4 years old and don't understand computer terms and what they mean. Now pretend I'm 23 and have a budget of $500 and haven't owned a computer in about 2 years and I'm finally sick of using my iphone for everything I do online.

Here's the breakdown. I want a PC, I don't like Macs. I want it to run well enough, it doesn't have to be gaming focused as I don't play PC games, but I would like it to run java/flash as I stream a lot of video and I would like it to look nice.

Honestly I know nothing about ram or processors and what any of that means, so I get really overwhelmed when I look on amazon and I see all these stats and I don't truly know what I'm paying for.

I would really appreciate some recommendations.

Thanks!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If it's mainly for online use then I would recommend a chromebook. It literally will do everything you need and they are dirt cheap. If you aren't using desktop applications for work or playing games then I dont know what more you would need then a chromebook. The link below is a pretty good chromebook to my understanding and its only 200. There is a higher model with a touch screen if that is your thing.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromebooks.html#ac-c720

With that said there are plenty of great sub 500 laptops. While not the greatest site, CNET.com is pretty good at reviewing a shit ton of various laptops. I dont always agree with them, but it should help you find something you are looking for. Here is one example.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/asus-vivobook-x202e-dh31t/4505-3121_7-35530760.html

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By swordmagic

@ssully: Chrimebooks aren't quite what I'm looking for, my girlfriend has one and I really hate it. The OS is pretty awful (I just like windows) I couldn't download iTunes to it. Or Minecraft even and I couldn't watch giantbomb videos in the highest setting. Just wasn't for me, it felt like an iPad with a keyboard.

Maybe I should have been a bit clear, what I ment by not playing games on ot I still would like it to run WoW, but I don't care about graphic I just ment I don't want anything that's going to run console games (like steam stuff) on max highest settings, I still want a PC. Maybe to check out indie games I can't get on console.

whoareyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's pretend I'm 4 years old and don't understand computer terms and what they mean. Now pretend I'm 23 and have a budget of $500 and haven't owned a computer in about 2 years and I'm finally sick of using my iphone for everything I do online.

Here's the breakdown. I want a PC, I don't like Macs. I want it to run well enough, it doesn't have to be gaming focused as I don't play PC games, but I would like it to run java/flash as I stream a lot of video and I would like it to look nice.

Honestly I know nothing about ram or processors and what any of that means, so I get really overwhelmed when I look on amazon and I see all these stats and I don't truly know what I'm paying for.

I would really appreciate some recommendations.

Thanks!

Are you ok with a refurbished laptops?

Also, would you prefer a non gaming laptop over a more gaming centric one?

if you are interested in gaming, what kind of games?

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I bought my wife an Asus laptop about six months ago and we both use it daily. Check out amazon as they have a good selection of laptops varying in price.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ilikepopcans

@wolfhazard I bought this baby a few months back refub for $400.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZVTBOK/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Runs pretty good, I can play most indie games, I can stream 720P stuff fine. I had a loose screw for a little but that's the only problem I had with build quality yet. Sure the brand may not be the best but I have little complaints surprisingly so far. The specs are great for the price.

But this laptop is built for not going out in the wild though. With it's 4 hour at most battery and 15.6 inch screen, it will be hard to go out with it.

It does have win. 8 too unfortunately, but it's not the worst.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.