I played this RTS game online with a friend many years ago. It must've been a good game because I still think about it from time to time but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.
I'm just going to list off what I remember from it:
- I believe its a mid/late-90's era PC game
- The game is played in a 2D side perspective (think R-Type), it takes place entirely in space
- When the game starts, you control a mothership
- There are 4 races, each with unique colour (red, blue, green and yellow i think). Aside from slight aesthetic differences, they function the same
- The mothership had a 'drone' that would automatically fly out of it and retrieve nearby minerals that matched your race's colour
- The mothership spent minerals on buildings, which produced units like fighters and carriers (typical RTS tech tree stuff)
- One of the buildings was an 'academy'. If your units sat beside it for long enough they would level up.
- I believe it was a multiplayer-only game
- You would have to send your mothership farther and farther away from your base to find more minerals which created a risk/reward scenario
This is all I can remember for now.
If you know the name of this game please let me know!