Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Help with what to do.

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By roborobb

My rig is as follows,

8800 GTS, Q6600 processor @ 2.40ghz , Gigabyte Motherboard P35-DS3 S series, Windows Xp Professional and 4GBs of Ram.

I am getting decent frame rate on the highest graphical settings on most games, but its not a great as i would want it. Would you recommend-

A. Getting a 9 series or whatever new series of graphics card there is new available

B. Getting Windows vista to utilise the 4gbs of Ram that I can really use due to the limitations of Xp

C.Get a better processor

Please help.

Thanks <@:D
    Robo

*EDIT* Sorry forgot to mention- Should I attempt to overclock my processor? I have heard that the Q6600 is fairly easy to do so.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I seriously doubt RAM is the bottleneck. What games are you talking about?

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By roborobb

Well I play crysis at around 20-25 fps oh the highest--

But i dont really play that so im not too bothered!

Its only really a slight problem when playing Garrys Mod, As I play this server called mr green zombie survival..The room supports up to 44players which can dip the frame rate.. plus i do have it on the highest settings..

I get around 50fps on Garrys Mod, Depending on the level usually.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By thebeast

In a system like that, you're probably limited by the video memory on the 8800 GTS. It's a great card, but if you're looking to play new stuff in 'high quality', you're going to constantly need to upgrade it.

What sort of games are you trying to play, and in what quality? Is it an FPS performance hit you're experiencing?
    There are other factors that could be affecting performance like hard drive read times (try defragging and clearing some space), cheap memory with loose timings which will bottleneck your CPU, or just something running that's overusing the CPU/RAM.

The Q6600 is super easy to overclock - it should go up to around 2.8GHz on stock cooling with no problem, and you'll probably be able to push it to 3.4GHz with a better cooler.

Edit: Just saw your latest post - being able to run Crysis on highest at that FPS is a pretty impressive feat - I certainly wouldn't worry about trying to push more out of it unless you're willing to spend a ton! GMod with that amount of players will be highly resource intensive, the processor will take a hefty hit, but yours should be able to cope with that, so I'd probably put it down to the graphics card. Perhaps you could just lower your settings a bit? :)
    roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By roborobb

Thanks for the quick reply :) Yeah I might consider turning the graphics down slightly to improve performance a bit, Though I may consider to also Overclock my processor if everyone seems to say it is simple when careful.. Or I might look to purchase a new graphics card in the future.. Who Knows!! :)

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Yit

Aye, graphics first.

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By roborobb

So err... Whats the latest Nvidia Graphics Card then? :D

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    RoboRobb said:
    "So err... Whats the latest Nvidia Graphics Card then? :D"
    A monster called 
    Feel the Power !!!
    Feel the Power !!!

with this card you can play Crysis on the highest resolution/ Quality  with 60 frames per second . 
    Cole : WOOOOOOOOOOO !!!
    roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By roborobb

HOLY CRAP. I WANT

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By thebeast
    RoboRobb said:
    "So err... Whats the latest Nvidia Graphics Card then? :D"
    The 'latest' desktop nVidia card is actually the GeForce GTX 280, the equivalent ATI card being the HD 4870 X2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.