Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I Am Back! What Did I Miss?

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

I used to be a PC player, until I got a 360 and didn't want to deal with the hassle of the poor ports and honestly garbage PC support back then anymore. So, from 2006 to this very year, I've been gaming on 360. When they announced the next gen consoles, and they looked like a mid-range PCs, I was very bummed out. Thus, instead of buying a new console, I am building a beefy-ass PC.

Which brings up the question, what did I miss during the time I was away from PC gaming? I played almost every retail game that came out for 360, but didn't dwell much with XBLA releases. I am open to any type of game, any genre, any anything.

Thanks in advance!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Also Hotline Miami 1.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teaoverlord: Finished 1 on my Vita. Getting 2 as soon as I can.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon age? Witcher 2, Civ, Crusader kings 2, League, Elite Dangerous, CSGO, Planetside 2, ARMA 3, A million MMOs, Outlast, total war games, Warhammer 40k dawn of war games to name a few

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This question is interesting to me, because you have enough posts to make me believe that you are a fairly frequent visitor to the site. If you've kept up with the gaming world are there really any notable games that you straight up haven't heard of? I assumed this would be about PC hardware, not games.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Cities: Skylines, Elite: Dangerous, Total War: Atilla, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Europa Universalis IV.

Five of the games that have been taking up all my time recently.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dawn of War II and it's expansions

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Naoiko

Check out steam if you haven't already (which you most likely have). Also sites like humble bundle and gog have great sales on pc games. Maybe also try out Diablo 3 if you haven't already, its pretty darn fun.

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daiphyer said:

what did I miss during the time I was away from PC gaming?

Since 2006? Only the greatest indie game revolution of all time, and the superior version of every cross platform AAA game released nowadays. A better question is probably what kind of games do you like to play? Then we can actually start getting somewhere! LOL

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By nok

Transistor if you didn't play it on console as that game is awesome.

dewin50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon age? Witcher 2, Civ, Crusader kings 2, League, Elite Dangerous, CSGO, Planetside 2, ARMA 3, A million MMOs, Outlast, total war games, Warhammer 40k dawn of war games to name a few

This guy knows

No Caption Provided

DirtyRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Modding PC games is incredibly fun. Modded Fallout 3 is possibly my favorite game of all time. There's also modded New Vegas and Skyrim. For me the modding experience is one of those things that really makes me appreciate PC gaming. Ooooh also, Cities: Skylines is very fun. And get Besieged. It's the best $6.99 I've ever spent.

rcath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dwarf Fortress

Prison Architect

Counter Stike

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rcath: dwarf fortress broke my mind

rcath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullpanda1: Steep learning curve but after the first couple hours it sinks in.

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By anywhereilay

There's a lot of good indie stuff if you didn't play it on xbox already. Dust: An Elysian Tail, Dragon age 1 (haven't played the others) if even just for the isometric camera; it really does make that much of a difference. More recently perhaps Ori, although I haven't played that myself. Oh and Gang Beasts if you've got friends! (hence why it's not in my library haha)

Gta V when it comes out. I'm going to get it solely for the inevitable 'GTA IV Driving Physics mod'.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Starcraft 2 has an expertly designed campaign. The story is awful and makes me pretend Brood War was the end of the series, but the campaign is fun and challenging and incredibly varied (both Wings of Liberty and the Heart of the Swarm expansion).

JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JDDrewes

Jesus Christ you guys, if he's been out of PC Gaming since 2006 then don't just recommend decent games from the last few months. He's got an entire world to explore.

Put these games in your Steam Wishlist: Skyrim, Civ V, CSGO, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Killing Floor. Most of these games are fairly cheap by now but they go on sale every several months so you can get a steal. Even if you've played these games before it's worth it to buy again for the PC for the mods.

Smaller indie games: Binding of Isaac rebirth, FTL, Besiege, Transistor, Magicka, Braid

And then there's the big world of PC Exclusive games, filled with MMOs and RTSs and grand strategy games. They're very complex and require a lot of investment so I won't get into those now.

Best of luck!

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@daiphyer:

I don't know where to begin, there's just so much, I mean PC gaming has absolutely exploded since 2006. There were 3300+ new games on Steam last year alone.

Can you give us any parameters to narrow it down for you?

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

FTL for sure. I might even start there.

And I sure like Wasteland 2 a lot

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly if you've kept up with games on a console since 2006 you haven't missed much beyond better versions of games you already know.

Just a few recs off the top of my head:

Chivalry

To The Moon

Gunpoint

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan: I played almost every release on the 360, so I guess what I am looking for are the PC-only gems that I somehow missed. Here's the list I've conjured so far.

Blackguards

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing

Gunpoint

Ori and the Blind Forest

Shoot Many Robots

Splunky

Krater

Chivalry

@anywhereilay: GTA V for PC has already been leaked where I live, it's pretty good!

@slag: I really only looking for those PC-ass PC games that never made it to consoles.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By bacongames

Shit, I mean if you're going from more or less exclusively retail games on a 360 to the entirety of PC games since 2006, you've got a LOT of amazing stuff out there but if you've been following the site closely in those years you should already know about a good bunch. Basically most everything that mattered on XBLA or PSN made its way to PC and you saying you didn't keep up with the digital stuff as much means you're going to have to know because that's a big part of PC gaming now.

But anyway, here's two lists, the first being stuff that wasn't on 360 and the second being non-retail stuff that technically was but I'll put in case you missed it and should play it on PC. The order is pretty slapdash so I wouldn't read too much into it.

• Civilization V
    • Sam & Max: Season 1, Season 2, and The Devil's Playhouse
    • Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition and Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
    • Machinarium
    • Nelson Tether: Puzzle Agent and Puzzle Agent II
    • Cook, Serve, Delicious!
    • Dungeons of Dredmor
    • Diablo III
    • Starcraft II
    • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
    • Broken Age
    • Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
    • Legend of Grimrock and Legend of Grimrock II
    • Counter-Strike: GO
    • VVVVVV
    • The Witcher and The Witcher 2
    • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
    • Cryostasis
    • Trine and Trine 2
    • Darwinia
    • Audiosurf
    • Transistor
    • The Room
    • Osmos
    • Shatter
    • Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
    • Team Fortress 2
    • Endless Space
    • World in Conflict
    • World of Goo
    • And Yet It Moves
    • Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing and Icarus Proudbottom's World of Typing Weekly
    • Divekick
    • Surgeon Simulator 2013
    • Super House of Dead Ninjas
    • Antichamber
    • Risk of Rain
    • Don't Starve
    • Nidhogg
    • Sportsfriends
    • Samurai Gunn
    • Luftrausers
    • Octodad: Dadliest Catch
    • The Binding of Isaac
    • The Stanley Parable
    • Roundabout
    • Lethal League
    • Hotline Miami
    • Gunpoint
    • The Swapper
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Papers, Please
    • Velvet Sundown
    • Proteus
    • FTL
    • Guacamelee!
    • Rogue Legacy
    • Gone Home
    • Fract: OSC
    • Neverending Nightmares
    • Heavy Bullets
    • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
    • Fotonica
    • Braid
    • Super Meat Boy
    • Spelunky
    • Iron Brigade
    • Costume Quest and Costume Quest 2
    • Stacking
    • Zeno Clash and Zeno Clash II
    • Bejeweld 3
    • Orcs Must Die! and Orcs Must Die! 2
    • Terraria
    • Bastion
    • Plants vs. Zombies
    • Torchlight
    • Mark of the Ninja
    • Renegade Ops
    • Limbo
    • Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
    • Skulls of the Shogun
    • Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine
    • Valiant Hearts: The Great War
    • Mount Your Friends
    • Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
    Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gruff182

@icyeyes said:
    @daiphyer said:

what did I miss during the time I was away from PC gaming?

Since 2006? Only the greatest indie game revolution of all time, and the superior version of every cross platform AAA game released nowadays. A better question is probably what kind of games do you like to play? Then we can actually start getting somewhere! LOL

This pretty much.

Also, even with the flux of shitty ports, that was shitty to a PC standard, so were still by far the best version of the game 9 times out of 10. Take GTAIV, really shitty port, but still by far the best version.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MOBA, card games are a thing again and you are just in time for the VR hype, really nothing much.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@daiphyer said:

@anywhereilay: GTA V for PC has already been leaked where I live, it's pretty good!

Hold the phone - please explain more?

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: The PC version has been leaked for a week now, and since Iran (where I live) doesn't have any copyright rules, stores are selling GTA V PC like hot cakes.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daiphyer: Isn't it a bit early for stores to have copies in? Seeing as it isn't out till like April 14th (nearly a month from now).

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stay away from Cities Skylines. It's a great game and everything, but it can lead down a dark hole that ends with looking up PDFs of urban planning textbooks to find some way of getting rid of ALL THIS GODDAMN TRAFFIC.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

WITCHER 1 (Esp before W3 comes out)

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#34  Edited By Y2Ken
    @jddrewes said:

Put these games in your Steam Wishlist: Skyrim, Civ V, CSGO, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Killing Floor. Most of these games are fairly cheap by now but they go on sale every several months so you can get a steal. Even if you've played these games before it's worth it to buy again for the PC for the mods.

Smaller indie games: Binding of Isaac rebirth, FTL, Besiege, Transistor, Magicka, Braid

And then there's the big world of PC Exclusive games, filled with MMOs and RTSs and grand strategy games. They're very complex and require a lot of investment so I won't get into those now.

This is a very strong list. FTL, Civ V, and modded Skyrim were the first three that came to mind for me. Could definitely add a few others such as StarCraft II, Spelunky, Gunpoint, and so on to that list. That said, if you've been keeping up with this site you'll probably have heard about most of them.

The key takeaway is probably not to write off games you might already have played - some are well worth checking out for the mod support alone (such as Skyrim). If you toyed around with modding in the past you'll be impressed with just how simple and accessible it has become in recent years thanks to things like Steam Workshop. Also on the modscene you should definitely play some Minecraft and look into one of the big modpacks like the Technic Pack or Feed the Beast.

Additionally, you should play a MOBA. Either Dota 2 or League is fine, I'd probably recommend the former but maybe try both and see. There's every chance you'll bounce off it, but you should give one a shot because it's an important genre. Same with Hearthstone - it's free, go play it and you'll likely either love it or hate it.

Finally, go download New Retro Arcade. It's not PC gaming but it's wonderful.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@daiphyer:

Aha ok! That helps a lot!

In that case you will definitely want to check out some MOBAs (League of Legends and DOTA 2). They may or not be your thing, but they are perhaps the most unique thing to arrive on PC in that time frame. The other MOBAs, other than Smite possibly, are also rans in every sense.

As for the rest everybody else has given you great suggestions.

I'd say Starcraft II, Civilization V, Crusader Kings II, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Elite: Dangerous, Counterstrike: Go and Dragon Age: Origins are games I'd consider the high points.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

• Civilization V
    • Bastion
    • Transistor
    • Orcs Must Die 1&2

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.