Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is DS4Windows THE software to use for PS4 controllers on the PC?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

Hey, I want to use my PS4 controller for some d-pad games on the PC as I only have a 360 controller and not a XB1 controller. I use to use a Dualshock 3 in conjunction with montionjoy but after I installed Windows 10, it stopped working (not sure if that got fixed.)

Anyway, I know some of you use the Dualshock 4 as your PC controller so what's the best software to use for it? Thanks!

Edit: Yup, I know Steam supports it now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Yeah DS4Windows is what I've used for all the PC games. Easy to use, you don't really have to set up any button layouts unless you wanna change something. Just start the software then launch the game.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Steam just lets you use the DS4.

Even supports the touchpad.

shikon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Steam seems to have native support and so does ubisoft i don't use any special software for it!
    But i guess that doesn't really help you..... sorry =P

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I use DS4Windows and it works great. It's also got xpadder style features built in as well (for setting keys/mouse input to controller) so useful for games without native gamepad support too. Also different profile settings (which can autoload with an exe i believe) endlessly useful program for playing with ds4 imo.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By liquiddragon

@someoneproud: @boonsong: Thank you! Do you guys have to unplug your PS4 when using it? That's one thing about motionjoy I remember. The DS3 would try to reconnect via bluetooth when I unplugged the USB from the PC and turn on my PS3, an annoying little quirk.

Avatar image for deactivated-987696
    deactivated-987696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I personally use the older DS4Tool; and sometimes for mouse orientated games Xpadder so I can map the mouse to the right joystick (and adjust sensitivity curve).

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam works really well - you can set it up as a custom controller a la a steam controller.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OurSin_360

Yeah like others said steam supports it like a steam controller now, you can make your own configs and everything. I still use it for non steam games but thats pretty rare now.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mikewhy

I mostly use Steam's support for PS4 controllers.

Does anyone have any tips for getting them working in games launched outside of Steam? Ubisoft games are pretty good about natively supporting the controller, they use the lightbar and switch controller button prompts. But some EA games don't work. I've had to resort to adding Origin to my list of games in Steam, and launching Origin through Steam.

Reasonance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I use DS4Windows, especially it's bluetooth support is far better than steam's.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By TobbRobb

I use steam if I can. And if that fails it's definitely DS4Windows. In the case where steam drivers fail and the game is especially strict on timing, I'll go get my 360 pad. All third party dualshock drivers add a miniscule amount of input lag. Usually not noticeable, but I'd rather not in let's say a rhythm game, or when I do my practiced DMC4 timings and they dont fn working because of the difference.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I still use DS4Windows, yeah

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: @liquiddragon:

@someoneproud: @boonsong: Thank you! Do you guys have to unplug your PS4 when using it? That's one thing about motionjoy I remember. The DS3 would try to reconnect via bluetooth when I unplugged the USB from the PC and turn on my PS3, an annoying little quirk.

I use the official DS4 dongle for emulators and the controller that is synced only looks for that dongle not the PS4, so it's won't turn it on. The pc sees the dongle as if the DS4 is connected via a wire if that helps.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

That's what I've used ever since Jeff posted a link on twitter for it however many years ago. I've switched over to m/k the last year, and when I go controller I opt for the Xone, so I don't use it much anymore.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've started just using Steam except for the special cases where I need something from DS4Windows feature.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Can you use DS4 via Steam for nonSteam games?

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fatalbanana

@liquiddragon: if you have that non-steam game as a shortcut in your Steam library then yes you can.

Edit: you can set it up to work with nonsteam games (without the shortcut in your steam library) as long as steam is running but I haven't had great luck with that.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DS4Windows is great if only because I can rebind the touchpad to a different button for easy push to talk functionality.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to use steam all the time, but for some older games i still need to use Ds4tool. I think one Shantae game needed me to use that tool, as well as Enslaved: Oddysey to the West.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Yes. To answer, simply, yes.

To elaborate, if you can deal with Xbone input prompts while uing a DS4, it's absolutely the way to go. Support is flawless and you never need to fiddle, aside from launchng the DS4Windows tool (though the support is there if you want to). I've had some wonky issues with Steam before regarding d-pad mapping and most other games don't natively support the DS4 (sadly), so I've found launching DS4Windows immediately is the quickest and simplest way to use your DS4 without hassle for almost all games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Re: Turning ps4 on when disconnecting.

I used to get this problem with motioninjoy & ps3 controller, doesn't happen with the ps4 luckily, I connect with USB for both btw.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ALavaPenguin

I use it and it works great for me. I love my PS4 controller on windows. I will say though, SOMETIMES it is worth checking if a game even needs it. A decent chunk of games [but not enough to be reliable by any means] do just support PS4 controllers it seems recently. But it works pretty well and important to have, since most games don't support PS4 on PC well.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BasketSnake

When playing through Witcher 3 on pc I used it but then I also mapped the touchpad to the four keyboard buttons for map, items, character and skills if I remember correctly and then I modded the game to always show gamepad icons even if I switched over to kb/m. That way I only had to swipe in any direction to open any of those functions. Just a single swipe and back to close it. Master race. There's really nothing else to say. Micdrop. It also allowed for a button switch that wasn't possible with all the presets in the new Doom.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.