Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Issues with my sound card.

snipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I recently got the ASUS Xonar DSX sound card but it seems when I plug it into my PC and try start my computer it just says "no DVI signal" but when I unplug it and try to start my PC it works fine.

I would really appreciate some help on this because it's really starting to annoy me.

PS: Apologies if I seem like an idiot, I've never had a sound card before.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

That's strange, no dvi suggest that there is no signal coming from your computer. I would say that the addition of the sound card causes your videocard to not have enough power. Or maybe it just doesn't boot at all, do you have another slot where you can put the soundcard in?

snipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel: The only other slot that the sound card would fit in is being used by my wi-fi card so I won't be able to do that.

And when I try to boot up my PC with the sound card in my Graphics card fan turns on so I assume that it's booting up.

Is there any information that may be of use to you if you're keen to continue to try to help me?

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm it somehow didn't post my previous message :/.

I'll try to help but a hardware forum probably will be better as there are more skilled people there.

Does it boot at all? Do you see the BIOS or nothing at all? If it boots into bios you can try booting in safe mode -> That probably means some driver conflict.

If not at all. It's probably a hardware fault. Can you try and switch your wifi card and sound card around? To see if it does work in some configuration? To see if the sound card works at all. (note that it will mean you need to reinstall your wifi card so remember that)

snipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel: No it doesn't boot at all, instead of it automatically turning my monitor on it just sits there doing nothing and when I turn my monitor on manually it then comes up with "DVI no signal"

I think i'll save the old switcheroo as a fail safe because I have a sneaking suspicion that it will also screw up.

I'll check out a hardware forum and see if the pros can help me but either way thanks for the help.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Devildoll

yeah my tip would be to replace the wifi card with your soundcard for a testrun.

what motherboard do you have by the way?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.