Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Laptop recommendation

TheRookie727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hey duders need some recommendations on what laptop to buy. I'm looking at spending around $500 for decent laptop for basically schoolwork and some light gaming. Thanks for the help!

Theidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My wife got an Acer laptop last year and the hard drive failed already. So I currently am recommending against their products.

Avatar image for herman_mariusen
    Herman_Mariusen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Herman_Mariusen

I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad T420 a couple of years ago, and I really like the sturdy clean design of the Lenovo laptops. My use was basically the same as yours. The T420 isn't a gaming powerhouse but works for most older PC titles. You could get a pretty decent secondhand Thinkpad for that price, even a later model. They tend to be a bit heavy though. But if weight and size isn't an issue I would look up the Thinkpad W530, which came out in 2012 but is still a pretty powerful machine. If you want something that's light then the Lenovo Yoga line is also very nice laptops. Gave my sister a Yoga for Christmas last year and got pretty jealus straight away, they are more notebook-type laptops though so gaming might have to be even "lighter". I got my sister one of those SNES USB controllers and we play some SNES roms on it when I visit her. Dunno how well the Yoga would play 3d games or modern 2d games, but my guess it could play most 2d indie titles as well.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

to @herman_mariusen Lenovo makes some really good hardware but their repeated goofs with malware and adware going on units prior to shippping out a few times is a bit ridiculous and has made me lose a lot of trust for the brand. I've always liked Asus stuff, and the $500 price point can be a little challenging to really nail something for gaming in all honesty.

If you can stretch a little, this looks like a solid unit: Asus - 2-in-1 13.3" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 6GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Black Hairline

And we use Probooks at work which do the job very well, but again, don't count on solid gaming performance from near any laptop under $1k and even then it'll be iffy. Here's a decent ProBook if you've got a MicroCenter around: HP ProBook 450 G3 15.6" Laptop Computer - Silver or if you're quick on the draw and have an MC around try to find this; Toshiba Satellite L55-C5392 15.6" Laptop Computer..

These days you'll probably be able to play some older games but again, I'd focus on a solid multitasking unit, i5/i7 personally are my leanings. Build a tower at home for the gamings, or get this beast (I reviewed it and it's a monster, I loved it): MSI - GS40 Phantom 14" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive + 128GB Solid State Drive - Aluminum Black :)

Happy hunting!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.