Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Mid cycle upgrade dilemma - failing mobo

Perilion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi everyone,

So my PC is slowly dying and its become apparent what is at fault. It is looking like the motherboard and potentially power supply are the culprits. I purchased the ASROCK Extreme 6 LGA1155 board in 2012 and the power supply which is an OCZ (650 I think...) in 2008.

The issue I'm having is that the motherboard is clearly broken as it has two RAM slots (slots 1 and 3) that will not pick up any ram, I've tried changing the slots around and those channels fail to read perfectly fine DDR3 RAM. I also have start up problems where it will continually boot loop. By this I mean the fans will power on but not much else, then it will power down for a second, and repeat the process. I have to hit the BIOS reset button on the mobo to get it boot past the looping.

My dilemma is that the Z77 / LGA1155 boards are old hat now and cost as much as a new board would for a current gen Intel CPU.

I'm running an i7 3770k and I don't have any CPU based performance issues currently so I was hoping to not have to change the chipset as I would need DDR4 ram too as well as a new CPU to match.

What do you think, should I spend between £80-150 on a new (older generation) board, or fork out a few hundred for an entirely new build. I really cant afford the latter, but with money being a factor, spending inefficiently just seems like a bad move. Maybe someone has a suggestion for a good cheap LGA 1155 board I could look at?

Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers,

-Perilion

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I had to make this decision recently too. Given that you'd need new cpu and ram for 1150/1151 boards, matching your current build is gonna be a whole lot more expensive. I opted to just get a new 1155 board for my system and will probably hang on to it for a couple years.

I managed to get mine (a mini itx) for about $80 just a couple days ago, and newegg is listing 1155 boards for $40, so I don't think that's particularly close to the price of new board + new cpu + ram unless you went used on the newer stuff.

Perilion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow its really reasonable. I'm from the UK and the sites I would normally hit for PC parts are all listing the entry level boards at around £70ish. So around $100. I'm currently watching on ebay in case any go cheap.

My only stipulation is that it has 4 ram channels. I've paid for the ram, I kind of want to use it hah.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can't afford it I think you answered your own question, get a replacment board and psu and hopefully nothing else is wrong. From my understanding the performance gains of the new processors aren't that huge a leap anyway so i'd only upgrade everything when you actually need/want too.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I definitely wouldn't spend £150 on an old motherboard. I did check out pcpartpicker and saw one for £68(including shipping), but I would definitely start saving up for a z170 and a new CPU.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.