Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Might upgrade to Haswell-E, Suggestions needed

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sanity

So i'v been running my 2500k happily for awhile now, upgraded to a 780ti in the spring and have been waiting it out for new CPU's, Looking at the line up it seems the 5820k is the way to go for gaming with a single card right? Im not seeing the benefit of a 5930k for gaming, but someone correct me if im wrong. The only down side here is the crazy fucking DDR4 prices but i dont see them dropping much soon. Id be looking at about 1000 bucks for 16 gigs ram, the 5820k and a mobo....

What you guys think?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Is you 780Ti getting bottlenecked by your 2500k? I assume it wouldn't be.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

What games are you playing that are CPU-bottlenecking that your 2500k can't handle?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What games are you playing that are CPU-bottlenecking that your 2500k can't handle?

The only possible answer would be Watch Dogs which is because it's terribly optimized.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sanity

Im starting to see issues with Strategy games, Rome 2 has never run well for me and Wolfinstine runs like shit also, but not sure if thats a issue with my CPU or just the game being funny on my system. Also i imagine Beyond earth would benefit from a better CPU in the later turns, yes that game wont be very demanding but like civ 5 im sure it will chug in the end game. Also wouldn't mind having a better cpu for Gal Civ 3 when it comes out next year. So i guess not a ton that i need a new cpu for but i'll see some benefit as well, you guys think i should just hold off for awhile then?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@sanity said:

Im starting to see issues with Strategy games, Rome 2 has never run well for me and Wolfinstine runs like shit also, but not sure if thats a issue with my CPU or just the game being funny on my system. Also i imagine Beyond earth would benefit from a better CPU in the later turns, yes that game wont be very demanding but like civ 5 im sure it will chug in the later turns. Also wouldn't mind having a better cpu for Gal Civ 3 when it comes out next year. So i guess not a ton that i need a new cpu for but i'll see some benefit as well.

Was gonna mention something like Civ V in my post because that was the only thing I could think of.

Is it really worth your money to upgrade everything to only potentially save a handful of seconds per turn in late-game Civ?

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im starting to see issues with Strategy games, Rome 2 has never run well for me and Wolfinstine runs like shit also, but not sure if thats a issue with my CPU or just the game being funny on my system. Also i imagine Beyond earth would benefit from a better CPU in the later turns, yes that game wont be very demanding but like civ 5 im sure it will chug in the later turns. Also wouldn't mind having a better cpu for Gal Civ 3 when it comes out next year. So i guess not a ton that i need a new cpu for but i'll see some benefit as well.

@sanity said:

Was gonna mention something like Civ V in my post because that was the only thing I could think of.

Is it really worth your money to upgrade everything to only potentially save a handful of seconds per turn in late-game Civ?

... maybe =P

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd say hold off at least until DDR4 prices aren't ridonkulous.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

$1000 to upgrade your CPU & RAM seems nuts...plus I'm not sure why you would need a 6 core/12 thread processor for gaming anyway. Just wait for DDR4 prices to come down, or go to something like a 4690k and stick with DDR3 if you really need to upgrade now.

Anything i7 is going to be a waste of money unless you are doing something like video editing with an application that supports multithreading.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys are no fun, but your right i suppose... i'll wait out for awhile and see what skylake brings.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.