Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Monitor recomendation for my current PC setup

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By solidlife

Hey Everyone I am back again.

I would like to thank the GB community for helping me build my first PC, I got a bit of advice a month ago and after more research I will be ordering all the parts tonight I wanted to wait to see if there was any deals for boxing day. Below will be the parts I order tonight:

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bzTvD8

Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bzTvD8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£215.99 @ Aria PC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.99 @ Ebuyer)

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£123.36 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£89.98 @ Ebuyer)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£86.99 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£44.46 @ Amazon UK)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (£434.99 @ Amazon UK)

Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.88 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£82.88 @ Ebuyer)

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans (£23.98 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £1219.50

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-26 18:18 GMT+0000

As this is my first gaming PC I wanted to get a new monitor for it and had my heart set on the Acer G257HU as it had such great reviews and seemed to be the best monitor around the £250 price point for 1440p & IPS, however it is not available I have been searching for it for a few weeks but I can't find any sight in the UK that are selling these. If anyone could suggest a alternative that would be much appreciated I am looking for something that is 24 inch or more, IPS and below 300. I am willing to go to 350 if it is worth it. Also as CES2017 is round the corner is it worth me waiting until then to see the new announcements ? I was thinking not as my budget is bit low.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Personally I would prioritise refresh rate and response time over 1440p and IPS especially for first person shooteers (not sure what sort of games you like to play).

I've owned a few BenQ monitors over the years, including this one which seems to be in your price range: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/GbNp99/benq-monitor-xl2411z

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@dgtlty said:

Personally I would prioritise refresh rate and response time over 1440p and IPS

I second this, but I do play a lot of CSGO.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ezekiel

Looks fine. I wouldn't get a monitor that isn't at least 2560x1440 and IPS. Full HD just doesn't give you enough room and definition in a lot of situations and TN panels look poor.

60 Hz is fine. Your card won't always be up to date, so a higher refresh rate isn't that important.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ezekiel:

This just isn't true. IPS is obviously more desirable but there are some great looking TN panels on the market right now. As for refresh rates, even outside of games or fullscreen applications, it is really difficult to go back to 60hz after your eyes adjust to something like 144hz.

1440p is nice but I would take a 1080p @ 144hz panel over 1440p @ 60hz any day.

Basically choosing a display can be very subjective. The best advice is to actually go see some screens with games running for yourself if possible and compare them with your own eyes to see what looks best to you.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thanks for all the info, Ideally I wanted to go for a IPS 1440P model to take full advantage of my new RIG, I do play a lot of FPS games but not competitively so I thought 60hz would be fine as I am coming from console games.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty said:

@ezekiel:

This just isn't true. IPS is obviously more desirable but there are some great looking TN panels on the market right now. As for refresh rates, even outside of games or fullscreen applications, it is really difficult to go back to 60hz after your eyes adjust to something like 144hz.

1440p is nice but I would take a 1080p @ 144hz panel over 1440p @ 60hz any day.

Basically choosing a display can be very subjective. The best advice is to actually go see some screens with games running for yourself if possible and compare them with your own eyes to see what looks best to you.

To continue running new games at that framerate, you'll have to upgrade more often. QHD is easier to run, and IPS and QHD are more valuable for other uses, like image viewing, viewing folders and websites and watching films. I hated the pale colors and dull blacks and whites on my TN monitor and TV. I would never go back.

yabbering_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By yabbering_yeti

IPS and 1440p, never look back.

144hz is only useful if your hardware can drive those rates, but IPS will always look great.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If your hardware can handle 144hz, go for a high response rate at either 1080p or 1440p. If not, go with a nice IPS panel at 1440p at 60hz. IPS is going to give you better color reproduction at the expense of response time and input lag. Generally speaking, unless you are playing competitive games that require fast frames and low input lag (such as twitch shooters or action games), you are probably going to have a better experience with a better looking panel and higher resolution. In order to hit a consistent 144hz/144fps, you'll either need to continually upgrade your GPU to keep up with more demanding games, or have to stick to a lower (1080p) resolution.

Since you are running a GTX1070, you can probably pull off 1080p at 144hz, but you'd be pushing it at 1440p 144hz. Meanwhile 1440p at 60hz would be just fine for a while. It's up to you.
    CES is happening now so we might see some new monitors coming out soon with nice specs at a decent price. Might wanna wait until CES is over before you buy anything.

One of the best 1080p 144hz monitors (TN)

One of the better 1440p 60hz monitors (IPS-VA)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.