Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

My first PC, game recommendations?

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By kaos_cracker

So I am ordering all the parts for my PC this Friday and am wondering what the best exclusives are that I missed over the years, or best ports of games. I already own Amnesia and Civ 5 as my main PC games I was able to kinda play before. So any recommendations?

This is my PC build.

My PC

Only thing that isn't correct on that build is the optical drive.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

The Witcher games, moddable Elder Scrolls/Fallout games if you're into that, Stanley Parable, Dragon Age: Origins, Gone Home, maybe DotA, and I'm sure there's a lot of others I can't think of right now.

If this is your first PC, you might also wanna check out gog.com for some cheap, old games, like Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

World of Warcraft! You know you want to.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Start watching the Steam, Humble Bundle, and GOG sales daily for inexpensive games that you will probably never play. Soon you'll be like the rest of us with a backlog hundreds of titles long!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I actually just built my first Pc and have been going through my steam library. The first thing that comes to mind is Saints Row 4. That game ran absolutely terrible on consoles to the point that I couldn't play it. It's been a dream come true playing it on Pc. The Swapper's pretty good too.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By monetarydread
    • Lose / Lose
    • Trackamania 2
    • Skyrim all modded out
    • Monster Girl Quest 3
    • NES emulator and a copy of "Princess Tomato In Salad Kingdom." (Of course you have to find a legit copy of princess tomato, but it is worth it)
    • Stalker
    • The Witcher
    • Il-2 sturmovik
    • Unreal Tournament 2004

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

might i suggest upgrading the video card? the 760 is pretty much a 670.. you can find one (either 760 or 670 ) with 3gigs of ram (vs 2)

for a game i'd suggest Dragon Age (origin and awakening) plays totally different from the console version.

tbk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mb said:

Start watching the Steam, Humble Bundle, and GOG sales daily for inexpensive games that you will probably never play. Soon you'll be like the rest of us with a backlog hundreds of titles long!

oi... don't tempt him to the dark side :( that place is so sad to see, specially if you shop for 60+ hour games all the time.

@kaos_cracker: whatever genre you enjoy, PC exclusives are a bit rare these days it seems, at least in the AAA segment. If you're looking for smaller budget titles or Independent games, you're going to find a lot more.

And ports, well... I go ahead and toot the horn for http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home . Might be a nerve safer later on.

Store wise: @mb called out a few already. There is a humble store now too and Paradox Interactive also has a store (Gamersgate) and there is also Greenmangaming who sometimes offer some good discounts. Please note that I haven't used greenmangaming at all and that in most cases you end up with a steam key regardless.

And there are of course the "glorious" lands of free to play titles.

Posting a list of preferred genres or games you enjoyed in the past would probably increase the quality of the recommendations you might receive.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been getting into Counterstrike something fierce the past couple of weeks.

Also, Starcraft 2 is worth playing, beat both campaigns near the end of last year.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By crithon

team fortress 2, and then just look through servers with odd map names and just go down a rabbit hole of all bizarre and unique personalities. You might find a Sonic the hedgehog erotic fan fiction reading server.

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dominions 4! That plays on anything! If you like Civ, check that game out!

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Pretty great list in this thread already.

Go play Mass Effect 1-3 in hi-res at 60fps and full keyboard+mouse controls so no need to break up action with the little pause-combat-wheel.

Witcher 1 & 2, Modded out Elder Scrolls games, check out Minecraft, Titan Quest, Legend of Grimrock, The Real Texas, Endless Space, Fallen Enchantress, Path of Exile, Sacred Gold, and of course Zeno Clash series. Dawn of War II series is alright too if you like squad RTS.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

• Left 4 Dead 2 (Community maps are great)
    • Kerbel Space Program
    • Torchlight 2
    • Orcs Must Die

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#15  Edited By BeachThunder
    plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By plaintomato

Uh, Postal 2. Duh.

pondwhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pondwhale

Its already been mentioned here, but if you want to dive deep straight away, modding Skyrim is a great way to see what you've been missing on your silly console-boxes. I actually spend more time modding Skyrim than playing it, I think.

And indie games. Indie games, indie games, indie games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.