Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Need a decent GFX card < 200

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Jambones

I am pretty out of the loop on GFX cards. Last one I bought was an ATI 9600xt if that tells you anything.

I recently built a modest m-atx based computer, the HD 3100 has treated me well but I am starting to need something with a little more 'oompf' as I get back in to PC gaming. one PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot open, so hit me with your best shot. It doesn't have to be amazing, but will have to last me a while I am afraid.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

You could look at this if you want a little lower end.

Or this if you want higher end.

You should look around on newegg.com though. Those are just a couple quick suggestions.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jambones

Cheers for responding. I am actually shopping around newegg as we speak, and I spotted this which seems similar, and a little cheaper then the second one you mentioned, but perhaps I am missing something about the card that makes it 40 bucks cheaper... *squints*

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Jambones:  The 250 your looking at is basically the same as the 260 that I posted. The 260 has more stream processors though which will just make it even more capable of rendering all the high end settings in games. But if your looking for the cheaper option, the 250 isn't bad by any means.
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Lunarbunny

Here's a good comparison (see the arrows in the upper right, there is another column)

I'd personally recommend the 4850s for price vs. performance although the 9800 GTX+ would be a good option, especially if you want to push antialiasing.

GTS250 is same GPU (G92b) as the 9800 GTX+
    Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jambones
    @JJWeatherman: Thanks again. I will probably be getting one or the other in the next few days. I will read around and see if it is worth squeaking out a few extra bucks formy needs.

EDIT: Or I could just wait for the rebate on the 260 you mentioned. Guess I will do that!
    Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jambones
    @Lunarbunny: I will check that out too, thanks. I have a few days to decide, so thatnks for the info.
    Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Xelloss
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By sodiumCyclops

a lot of people pointing out nVidia. I would personally go for an ATi 4850 for a midrange card, then you cold also go for 2x 4850s to compete with the top end cards. Although, if i was to go all out and buy a top end card, i would look at nVidia's 285 or 280+.

hope this helps man, if you need any extra help im currently building a gaming rig from scratch and i could give you some tips.

peace

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By subject2change

GTX280 is a little over 200 but if you are gaming at 1650 or higher, its superior to GTX260 Core216.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.