Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Need some help please

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I've read over the other threads asking which graphics card and such is better, and I have some ideas as to which ones would suit my needs.  My question though is how do I know if the graphics card I buy at the store will fit into the slot I already have?  I'm not a computer guru, but I am in need of an upgrade. 

So basically what I want to know is how do I know what will fit into my computer?

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By agent_lost

Ah yes, the old, "What slop is that?". OK, let get started.

Right now there are 2 type of slot that take GPU Card, PCI-Express and the old AGP. If you have somewhat of a new PC then it PCI-E. If it older then you have AGP. The real way to know what you have is by checking your PC or motherboard manual.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By xruntime

But you need to also check your power supply, see if it is enough. Also, this is somewhat obvious, but SLI requires special motherboards.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Yeah, after some research I found out I have a PCI Bus (I'm talking way over my head here so sorry if I sound a bit stupid on the matter.)  I'm thinking that this means that I'm going to want to update my motherboard first.   I think I have my hands full.

Thanks for the help!

Vandreren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Vandreren

The normal PCI bus isnt the same as PCI-E.

Sound cards, network cards etc go in the PCI bus. PCI-E is a different slot. You need to check your manual to see what slots you have. For best performance you want a PCI-E x16

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By albaker

Also whats the power supply you have because I think your going to need to upgrade that depending on what card your getting

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I've gotten a 400W power supply, should be here today.  I also got a 8400GS (PCI, not PCI-E -- I have no choice in this, otherwise I'd just go and buy a new pc).  And I'll be getting 2G ram next week.  It's not going to be a beast of a computer, but it will be good enough.   Everything I got should connect to my system fine.  I did quite a bit of research and so far (fingers crossed) it looks like I'm going to be alright. 

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep this thread updated.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By krazy_kyle

dude chances are it is pci express cuz you cant buy a pci graphics card lol XD they simply dont exist.

but if the card connectors for the motherboard are too small, then its a VGA card and you got a PCI-e slot on your motherboard, but if its too big, then you probably have a VGA slot on your motherboard and a PCI-e compatible graphics card.

you should probably have done more research, no offence man.

whyzenheimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By whyzenheimer

No offense, but why did you buy a 400w power supply?  On top of that, for the money you spent, why did you buy and 8400?  Next time ask people who know before you spend your hard earned money.  You've completely screwed the pooch on this one.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Out_On_Bail

lol, more research?  It's working fine, i did what I could afford to do.  Thanks for the criticism, I'll make sure you guys are the first to know about my future projects.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By shotaro

if it works then why worry - everywhere has people that make stupid comments

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.