Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

New to PC Gaming.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Rockdalf

Hey guys, just got my PC built the other day and have slowly been downloading the queue of Steam games I had bought during the sale.  I do have one question though.  Do you guys usually play PC games on the standard sensitivity or do you have to turn it down?  I don't know if it's where I'm used to gaming on a console or if it's just my Windows mouse setting are incredibly high, but I've had to turn the sens. down on three games, to close to bottom, just so my view wasn't constantly jarring around like a sugar hyped child with ADD at the circus. 

Also, are there any other things I need to know about PC gaming to make my life easier?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Rockdalf:
    Well done on your choice to join the master race of gamers sir. 

As for your question, sensitivity is a point of much contention with PC gamers. Most of them, like myself, invest in higher grade mice/gaming mice that allow you to set sensitivity on the fly. 

Personally i use the Logitech G9 but there are many many others to choose from. 

In general you can't go wrong with Logitech and Razer. 

Have fun on the REAL platform :p
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @jadeskye said:

" @Rockdalf: Well done on your choice to join the master race of gamers sir.  As for your question, sensitivity is a point of much contention with PC gamers. Most of them, like myself, invest in higher grade mice/gaming mice that allow you to set sensitivity on the fly.  Personally i use the Logitech G9 but there are many many others to choose from.  In general you can't go wrong with Logitech and Razer.  Have fun on the REAL platform :p "

Second this. Gameplay devices matter as much as anything in PC gaming. Also, the G9/x is an awesome mouse for gaming :D
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By HitmanAgent47

You can actually go into the mouse settings in control panels of your operating system and slow things down a bit under pointer speed. Move your mouse around from point A to point B and if it's still to fast, then just set the settings lower until it's right. In game do the same thing when your aiming, aim at point A to B, if it's going to slow adjust your settings higher. Then now you have a natural point of aim. I used this system myself when I wasn't using a gaming mouse with different dpi settings. With my method or what I call natural point of aim, you can take a normal mouse and turn it into an accurate aiming device. I know the advice is different than ppl might expect, however I battlefield tested it and it works.

Of course the easy way out is just to spend more money and get a mouse where you can adjust your dpi settings.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By metal_mills

I forget what my sensitivity is but it's the 2nd of 3 settings on my logitech mouse. Fast but not too fast. Just try a few out and see which one you like.

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By rmills87
    @Rockdalf: Not sure if someone else posted this (don't have the time to read through right now) but there is usually a setting right by the sensitivity that reads "Smooth Mouse".  I find this helps with the "quick" acceleration of the mouse.  Turning this feature on in conjunction with setting the sensitivity usually gets you the sweet spot. 

And welcome to the thunderdome - PC is the way to go.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By emkeighcameron

I almost always have to turn the in-game sensitivity way up. I like my movements to be insanely quick. It's a damn necessity in things like BC2.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By kishan6
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " @jadeskye said:

" @Rockdalf: Well done on your choice to join the master race of gamers sir.  As for your question, sensitivity is a point of much contention with PC gamers. Most of them, like myself, invest in higher grade mice/gaming mice that allow you to set sensitivity on the fly.  Personally i use the Logitech G9 but there are many many others to choose from.  In general you can't go wrong with Logitech and Razer.  Have fun on the REAL platform :p "

Second this. Gameplay devices matter as much as anything in PC gaming. Also, the G9/x is an awesome mouse for gaming :D "
    Thirded
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By JP_Russell

Just a general tip, be wary of turning v-sync on in most games.  V-sync tends to reduce mouse responsiveness a fair bit, enough that I personally always opt to play without it despite how much smoother it makes things look even in games without tearing issues.  So if you're playing a game and the mouse cursor and/or vision panning feels kind of floaty and dissatisfying, check the settings to see if v-sync is on, because that may be the issue (of course, there are some games [mostly ports] with poor mouse responsiveness even when v-sync isn't on).

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Jams

Gaming mice and keyboards really do make a difference if you get one with the features you want. I would recommend not getting any wireless mice or keyboards too. Unlike the 360, your computer won't pause for you while you change your dead batteries on your Kb/m and you can't quick save or pause if you're changing your batteries. Just wanted to say that in case you do plan on buying a Kb/m. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.