Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

One final query about PSUs (sorry guys)

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My plans to upgrade my video card have gone awry due to the fact that every card onwards from mine requires two connections to the PSU, one 6 pin, and one 8 pin. Upon examining my own computer, I could only find one 8 pin connector, and that was connected to the motherboard. As such, I am already on a hunt for a new PSU (and I know where to look, thanks to you guys). However, (and this will show how incompetent I am), in the specs for PSUs, they don't actually list the connectors by how many pins they have. In order to make sure that the PSU has two 8 pin outputs, at which specs do I look at?

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

usually on the manufacturer website they have the details listed regarding connectors and accessories included
    what is the minimum wattage requirements, price and form factor measurements that you are looking for in a PSU?

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@@stressedoutcat:

Well, I was originally going to go for the GTX 760, which requires 500W and 6-pin and 8-pin connectors. However, seeing as I will have to upgrade my PSU anyway, I have decided to instead go for a GTX 770, which requires 600W and a 6-pin and 8-pin connector. As such I just want a PSU at around 650W that has those necessary connectors (my current one only has one 8-pin, its in the MoBo).

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well the general recommendations I would make is buy a Seasonic branded PSU
    those are slightly more expensive but they have great reliability.

the rest all depends on what other requirements you need, regarding to size and modularity
    and the rating.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stressedoutcat:

For some reason, both of my local branches of computer store franchises don't stock SeaSonic, so I may be going for a Corsair instead.

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StressedOutCat

@adequatelyprepared: if you can I would suggest the AX series PSU from corsair, I believe Seasonic developed them for Corsair and are basically identical to their own
    only the fan is different

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@stressedoutcat:

For some reason, both of my local branches of computer store franchises don't stock SeaSonic, so I may be going for a Corsair instead.

I like Corsair; it's a fine brand. I wouldn't feel bad picking up one.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@adequatelyprepared: exactly what psu do you have at the moment? you have not told us that once over the course of these 3 threads.

PHARAOH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stressedoutcat:

Seasonic is great they make alot of other peoples components like corsair and Antec.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Pretty much every single psu over 550w will have the connections you need.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.