Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Powering down a Video Card

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By gosukiller

Hey Duders,

I've got quite a luxery problem that I can't find answered on the regular PC-forums. Here's the deal:
    I have two 8800gt video cards. Since I've recently become a cheap bastard, I'm trying to save money on my energy bill. Now, I have taken my 2nd 8800gt out of there and now run just a single 8800gt. Now I'm struck by the dilemma when playing GPU taxing games of putting my 2nd 8800gt in there again for SLI. 

Now here's my question to you: 
    Is there a way to keep my 2nd 8800gt in there, but not making it use power? I want to be able to keep the thing in my motherboard and keeping it hooked to the power-sopply, but only to be accessed when I put my SLI-cable between the two cards.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

Try MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision,  just make a setting when gpu usage = 0% to throttle down the gpu clock to about 50mhz, and another when it goes above 5% to go back to full power.  So when it's idle it isn't eating up your energy.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By gosukiller
    @Marz said:
    " Try MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision,  just make a setting when gpu usage = 0% to throttle down the gpu clock to about 50mhz, and another when it goes above 5% to go back to full power.  So when it's idle it isn't eating up your energy. "
    Since I'm using a MSI motherboard I'll try out Afterburner. I'll let you know how it goes.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By korwin

Cards don't run at full tilt all the time.  In Multi-GPU configurations the secondary adapter is put to sleep in 2D applications, additionally the primary adapter scales down to a low clock speed and low power usage scenario in 2D mode and dynamically spools up based on the detected need.  Theres no harm in leaving both cards in your case as they will use sod all power when idle, heck my dual 5870's only suck something like 38watts when idle.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By TheHBK

Why don't you just not play games?  Seems kinda counter intuitive to think that you want to save on electricity but aren't willing to sacrifice the electro guzzler known as a gaming computer.  Even then, just give up those high activity games.  Switch to the intergrated GPU and play web based games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.