Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Price range for a gaming PC?

JonGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JonGamer

Right now I have an Acer Aspire M3201. The only game I really want to play right now is Starcraft II, and SRtest.com says my system is well above the minimum specs. I'd like to take the plunge into PC gaming though and start saving up for a new rig. There's plenty of topics about specific builds but I just wanted to gauge about how much money I need to save up.....

I'm looking a high end PC that I won't have to upgrade for a couple years. Some games I am interested in playing in the future are Diablo 3, The Old Republic MMO, Portal 2, and Dues Ex. About how much would a quality PC that would easily run these titles be? I don't need specific builds or anything right now, just an estimate of the total cost. I will be getting a new monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers as well. Thanks.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Around $1600 USD will get you a pretty decent setup.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By emkeighcameron

$1000 will get you something functional but not great

$2000 will set you up nicely for a few years

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spoonman671

Check out this thread:

http://www.giantbomb.com/pc/60-94/gaming-pcs-what-to-buy-and-how-to-build/35-420988/#54

EDIT: Also, it's impossible to tell you how much you need to spend to play the games you've listed because none of them have had their system requirements released, and most of them are pretty far off.

j_meyer_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By j_meyer_13

I spent about $1100 on mine, including everything. There's a few things I would change now (at this point, definitely would go quad core, I have a Core 2 Duo now, maybe a newer video card... my first upgrade is definitely going to be an SSD, though) that would bump the price up a bit... maybe $1400 new. That would be lower if you don't have to buy peripherals, obviously... that was like $300 of my build.  Not sure what the requirements are going to look like for Deus Ex, that would probably be the most complex of the games you listed, and the setup I have should be able to at least push native resolution, maybe not maxed out though.

tl;dr: $1000 to $1500. Hope this helps... I'm super-tired right now, so it might not all make sense.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB

A grand should be enough for a sufficient rig. Even better if you can build it yourself. For instance, awhile back there was a bundle for a good AMD motherboard combined with one of their new 6 core processors for just over $200. That's $200 for what are normally two of your more expensive parts, and enough power to run anything. I'd normally say stick with Intel for the sheer power/performance/energy efficiency, but I'd always recommend AMD for those on a tight budget. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Some videocards are expensive and they really add to the overall cost, like $350-$500 more to your cost. If you choose very carefully maybe you can keep it near a grand if your starting from scratch and not recycling anything. You might have to buy a cheaper mobo, maybe us a AMD cpu, cheap ram buy windows 7. Or else you can just get a cheap videocard, the gtx460 1gb that seems like the best deal ever. You get enough power for only $220-$250. However a monitor might cost like $200 or more. A gaming pc isn't cheap, it's quite an investment and quite a luxury.

Steveo6906

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Steveo6906

I would check out Tom's hardware. They are my favorite site when deciding on new builds. Every month they recommend different processors, and video cards. In different price ranges. What's even better they do new computer builds all the time. Usually in 3 different price ranges, for example $500, $1000, $2000. Then they run performance tests and give recommendations on which build they like. Really good stuff! 

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I'm not sure what the other people in this topic are talking about but for around $800-$1000 CND you can build yourself a fast computer and that also includes buying a monitor lol.

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ISuperGamerI said:
    " I'm not sure what the other people in this topic are talking about but for around $800-$1000 CND you can build yourself a fast computer and that also includes buying a monitor lol. "
    I'm gonna want some proof of what you consider a fast computer as well as what mythical store you can buy that from. LMAO
    mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By mau64

I would be prepared to spend around 1,000-1,5000 depending on how you go with things. 

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By gosukiller

Depends on what you are going to put inside it.
    Are you going to build it yourself? You will save up to 300-400 bucks if you buy the components individually. 
    You should do some serious research on sites like TomsHardware or PC-building sites.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArcLyte

i built a good budget gaming machine for $600, not including monitor. make sure you future-proof your machine with a good high-end processor though, so that you can easily upgrade video cards and ram as tech advances for a few years without having to worry about building a whole new system. 

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ajamafalous

Between $1000 and $1500.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By No0b0rAmA

You can actually get a relatively reasonable gaming PC for $700. I'd probably spend about $1000-$1400 myself, cause that's the price range to go if your also doing a bit of encoding.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Evilmetal

Investigate local universities to see if they have a surplus store or something where you can buy used monitors and other stuff from their computer labs, for very very cheap. Then you can spend the big money on what you have defined as key components.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Skytylz
    @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill said:
    " @ISuperGamerI said:
    " I'm not sure what the other people in this topic are talking about but for around $800-$1000 CND you can build yourself a fast computer and that also includes buying a monitor lol. "
    I'm gonna want some proof of what you consider a fast computer as well as what mythical store you can buy that from. LMAO "
    Newegg
    Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Crocio
    @ISuperGamerI said:

Seconded, why in the world would you spend more than $900 on a new PC? You'll spend less later just upgrading the graphics card.
    PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PhilESkyline

About $1500...here you go. 

http://www.tested.com/news/video-how-to-build-the-best-1500-gaming-pc-step-by-step/152/

Ceebs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ceebs

Anywhere from $500 and up. If you already have basics like a monitor, mouse, and  a keyboard, you can get something very high end for just over 1000.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#21  Edited By sjschmidt93

Just go all out so you don't have to upgrade anytime soon.  

$2500 and you'll be good to go for 6 years or so.

necrotoxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By necrotoxin

Yep you can easily build a new computer including Monitor for $1000 on Newegg or other similar sites. I like to use TigerDirect my self.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.