Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Purchasing First Gaming PC

mmartian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mmartian

I have been looking to make a budget gaming pc for the last couple months and have narrowed down my options to a couple bundles. Wondering if you guys can help me out in choosing or are these rigs no good either way.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1376670&CatId=332

OR

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1864495&sku=B69-0518

with this video card

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item_upsell.asp?EdpNo=41125&msg=

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By onarum

I would build a Intel machine with a gtx 6 series video card instead, the I5 is WAY better for gaming, worth the extra cash, check any benchmarks.

What is your max budget for the PC? I'll help you build it.

BlamBlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BlamBlam

Only suggestions I have is you might want a bigger power supply and if its strictly a gaming PC you could probably live with 4 gigs of ram (for now). Also get a solid state drive... its amazing. Leave the rest to those with more knowledge than me. Just built mine this weekend and its the perfect time of the generation to do it. Good luck!

Also don't be set on going through Tiger Direct. Put those same components in Direct Canada and I bet you save some money.

mmartian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mmartian

@onarum: Thanks for the reply, I'm looking to go no higher than 800.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By onarum
    @mmartian said:

@onarum: Thanks for the reply, I'm looking to go no higher than 800.

something like this then :
    That Case is pretty weak though, I had put a corsair one at first but then it blew the 800 buck point, you could experiment by switching the MB for a lesser one or maybe even for a cheaper I5.

Though it's a good idea to get a decent motherboard at first because it makes upgrading easier later.

Edit: plus there are those rebate things, dunno how those work but if I understand correctly you could save a nice bit of cash by punching those codes, also I would not recomend getting a SSD since you'd have to make some hefty sacrifices on other parts to stay on the $800,00 point, imo SSDs are overrated, sure it'll get you OS and games to load faster, but for the price they go I think it's just not worth it, specially considering you'd still have to get a HDD for storage.
    mmartian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mmartian

@onarum: Thanks this helped a lot. I made some adjustments, to try and get it down to closer to 800 after taxes, thoughts? \

No Caption Provided
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By onarum
    @mmartian said:

@onarum: Thanks this helped a lot. I made some adjustments, to try and get it down to closer to 800 after taxes, thoughts? \

No Caption Provided
    Holy shit that's a lot of tax to pay :P

Anyway yeah it's still a very nice PC, way better than a AMD build that's for sure, it'll run anything you throw at it , well maybe not metro 2033 at ultra settings :), but will still run it nice at high settings I'd wager.

I'm thinking that maybe that Mother board is a little overkill for the overall system, like I said before I still think it's worth it to invest in a good MoBo for future upgrades, but you could get a cheaper alternative like this
    Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Jace

@mmartian: If you could find a different motherboard, I would do that. Buying an ASUS product is the rough equivalent of putting a live bomb in your machine. Look for an EVGA or MSI product around the same price. Or look for two hamsters running really fast, anything but ASUS.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131766

^ This is an ASUS board much like the one you posted, and it has a 1/5 rating on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188073

^ Similar EVGA product with much higher ratings. You'll pay $10 more for the EVGA, but it will work. So if basic functionality is worth $10 to you, avoid ASUS.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By onarum
    @Jace said:

@mmartian: If you could find a different motherboard, I would do that. Buying an ASUS product is the rough equivalent of putting a live bomb in your machine. Look for an EVGA or MSI product around the same price. Or look for two hamsters running really fast, anything but ASUS.

Pshh, you base that on what? ASUS products never gave me any problems, their Mother Boards are usually top notch.

But yeah EVGA and MSi are pretty good as well and usually a tad cheaper, so if you want to replace that to shave a few bucks no problem at all, just keep in mind the socket (it must be LGA 1155 for the I5), and if the overall features attend to what you're buying, like for example SATA III ports for your HDD, support for DDR3 1600MHz etc.
    Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Jace

@onarum: Might want to check my post again, and EVGA is rarely cheaper than ASUS. I don't know where you pulled that from.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By onarum
    @Jace said:

@onarum: Might want to check my post again, and EVGA is rarely cheaper than ASUS. I don't know where you pulled that from.

Was bad writing on my part, I meant only MSi was usually a bit cheaper, anyway the Z77 ASUS boards are getting overall good reviews, I've used ASUS all my life and never had any real big issues but whatever, like I said MSi is pretty good as well.
    NachoBizNas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By NachoBizNas

@mmartian:

Duder, You're spending way too much on that case. Something like this is what i'd recommend. You've also bought a larger power supply then needed, as that card only needs a 500 watt power supply. That's already $75 more that can be spent on getting you a better gpu.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By SpudBug

I'd say go with the 2500k if you can find it for less than $200. sometimes they are on sale or have rebates. 2500k will be more than enough for some time on almost all games. not too many are processor limited these days.

Also a larger power supply can be a good investment if you ever see yourself putting another graphics card in to get an extra boost in a year or two.

Also 128gb ssds are easy to find for $100 or so. I got a samsung one for about that much. It really is a HUGE difference for usability in your OS. It may get you over your budget a bit, but I feel like it's one of the things that's really worth paying a little extra for.

Building the system isn't that hard either. I was worried about the thermal paste and all that stuff but it worked out fine. Just read lots of tutorials and watch lots of youtube how-to videos. Newegg and ASUS both have an excellent video tutorial on youtube that uses the asus p8z77-v series boards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.