Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Question about upgrading from Vista to Windows 7

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By spiceninja

So I just started college and I qualify for getting the WIndows 7 Professional upgrade for $30 from Microsoft. I'm currently on Vista Ultimate 32-Bit. I know I'll have to wipe my hard drive to upgrade since I'm not on Vista Business but I wanted to know if I can upgrade to 64 bit or if I'm stuck with 32 bit.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Depends on your computer. Can your computer handle 64 bit?

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By spiceninja
    @LiquidPrince:  It can. I used Microsoft's compatibility program and it told me I was able to use a 64 bit OS.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By meteora

So haven't you just answered your own question? Are you making sure that its safe to upgrade?

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ZimboDK

um, why would you be stuck with 32 bit? Retail versions of Win7 comes with both 32 and 64 bit versions.
    Unless you have really old hardware without drivers for 64 bit, then there isn't really any reason to not upgrade.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spiceninja
    @Meteora:  I was just making sure. I didn't know if it was possible to use the upgrade program (I'm downloading it, not buying at retail) to go from 32 to 64. But I guess it is. Thanks for the help everyone.
    Stilblad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Stilblad

If you are doing an upgrade disc I am pretty sure you are stuck in 32 bit.  If its a full retail version then you can install 64 bit.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Evilmetal

Are you a computer science student? or some major using a lot of microsoft stuff?

You been here:
     http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/dd861349.aspx

?   Find your school.

You may be able to get Windows for free and other software for free.  You'll first have to contact a person at the University to get an account, but after that... free downloads.

That's how I get my stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.