Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

RAM stick configuration question

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So I bought this motherboard 
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131363&cm_re=M4A79T_DELUXE-_-13-131-363-_-Product
    and this memory
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225&Tpk=F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 
    and I just noticed in the manual for the motherboard that supposedly the motherboard only supports either 1 stick or 4 sticks of this memory, and I bought it planning on using a 2 stick config - do you think that the 2 stick config will work or should I just use one until I get the money to buy another set of RAM that supports 2 stick config?

Thanks in advance!

RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like an ass for bumping this, but I really need to know as I'm about to put this sucker together in 30 minutes or so.

litrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By litrock

Maybe try the tested board? They're pretty savvy over there, being a tech site and all.  

I think you should be fine, though. It looks like there are dual channel slots. I don't know the difference between the two colors off the top of my head but your instructions should provide what you need.

RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, was just about to post it over there too.  Posted here first since GiantBomb generally has more traffic.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

First of all, why two sticks when you got a triple channel set? Second of all, the motherboard is a dual channel board. You would be fine with two sticks of memory, but it wouldn't be perfect. And I am pretty sure using two from a triple channel set is even more of a mess.

Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Helushune

That board's a dual channel board, not triple channel.  You can use all three sticks but don't enable dual channel mode (it won't have triple channel mode).
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

Well the board you bought performs best with a dual channel kit, which is 2 memory sticks in memory bank 1,3 or 2,4.  You can use more than 2 sticks no problem but it won't be running in dual channel bandwidth mode.

RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MordeaniisChaos: Someone told me a three stick configuration wouldn't work with that board.  The reason I got a triple channel set is because it was the same price as getting a dual channel set of the corsair memory I was going to get, so I figured "Hey, why not get 3 so I have a backup in case one dies?"

So 2 sticks of memory would work and be recognized as 4 gigs of DDR3?
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Also, in the future, you should really think about this stuff BEFORE buying. If you aren't super familiar with computers, post your build on the tested forums, or some other computer tech forums, and make sure everything is good. You would have been better off buying a dual channel pair and then another down the road.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

You can't use triple channel memory with a dual channel board. You can only run 4 or 8 gigs with dual channel, 6 or 12 gigs with triple channel memory which you don't have for your mobo. Download a compatible list of ram at the asus site and find a dual channel set that's compatible.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47

You can never use triple channel memory in a dual channel memory mobo. You will have to give up one of them and keep it as spare incase one ever breaks down. I'm not sure if triple channel memory will work with dual channel memory because I never ran dual channel DDR 3 memory before, but out the 4 or 8 gigs, you obviously can't run 6 gigs with three sticks of ram. It's either 2 or 4 sticks of memory for your mobo. Some ppl are saying it might affect your overall dual channel speeds if you added a third stick of ram.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @HitmanAgent47: He should be able to make them work, it won't work off the bat, it requires some things to be done, but I'm pretty sure he can do it if he finds out how. I don't know exactly how to do it, because I always buy compatible. 
    @xobballox: And now you know that it's because if its a 3 pack, it's meant for a board that supports triple channel ram. You might get it to work, but I'm not sure. I would suggest getting in touch with ASUS or whoever your board maker is, and finding out from them. Make sure you have the specific board model and everything when you contact them. And in the future, you should always have someone check over your build. I'm pretty familiar with computers, and I always have a buddy check it over in case there is some new thing I don't understand or I missed something. When you spend that much on something, you should be careful. Also, if it doesn't work, Newegg is great about returns. You can probably return the RAM if you tell them if doesn't work with your mobo, get a refund, and buy ram that is optimized for the type of board you have.
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MordeaniisChaos said:
    " @HitmanAgent47: He should be able to make them work, it won't work off the bat, it requires some things to be done, but I'm pretty sure he can do it if he finds out how. I don't know exactly how to do it, because I always buy compatible. 
    @xobballox: And now you know that it's because if its a 3 pack, it's meant for a board that supports triple channel ram. You might get it to work, but I'm not sure. I would suggest getting in touch with ASUS or whoever your board maker is, and finding out from them. Make sure you have the specific board model and everything when you contact them. And in the future, you should always have someone check over your build. I'm pretty familiar with computers, and I always have a buddy check it over in case there is some new thing I don't understand or I missed something. When you spend that much on something, you should be careful. Also, if it doesn't work, Newegg is great about returns. You can probably return the RAM if you tell them if doesn't work with your mobo, get a refund, and buy ram that is optimized for the type of board you have. "
    Yeah, I got a friend who has always been very tech-savvy in the past to check it out before I bought it, but I guess he wasn't aware about this stuff either.  Thanks for the help everyone.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Marz

he can use his triple channel memory no problem,  in theory you can have different brands of memory at the same speed and timings and run them in dual channel mode.   These memory packages are just tested by the manufacturer to work properly in triple channel.    So he could use 2 of the sticks in dual channel since they have same speed and ram timings.   If he inserts that third stick then he'll have to run ram at lower bandwidth which may affect the performance of the system and it wouldn't be running at dual channel bandwidth anymore.

RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Marz said:
    " he can use his triple channel memory no problem,  in theory you can have different brands of memory at the same speed and timings and run them in dual channel mode.   These memory packages are just tested by the manufacturer to work properly in triple channel.    So he could use 2 of the sticks in dual channel since they have same speed and ram timings.   If he inserts that third stick then he'll have to run ram at lower bandwidth which may affect the performance of the system and it wouldn't be running at dual channel bandwidth anymore. "
    Thanks a bunch! 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.