Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Serious overheating issues with GTX295

quirkwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By quirkwood

Firstly I need a little clarification on what might cause my video card to heat up to 100 degrees C. I've never noticed any problems until I started using a 1080p capable monitor, could running games at 1080p resolution be contributing significantly to the overheating issues I am experiencing (It appears the fan is running fine)? I know my computer could use a little more in the way of cooling but this problem seems to have come out of nowhere.

Secondly I am planning to upgrade in the near future and I am looking at purchasing an AMD 6850 (I have been unhappy with my last nVida card I am changing teams). This card seems to have Ok performance and is within my price range (Hardware can be expensive in Australia). Does anyone have any experience with this card with regards to value for money.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mosdl

I assume you've cleaned the box well (get rid of dust), made sure there is enough space for the outflow of air and updates to the latest drivers?

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Zelyre

I've found my 2X0 series cards always ran very hot. It's one of the reasons I switched to a ATI 5870. It runs much cooler, makes almost no noise, and has 6 outputs.

Have you cleaned your card's heatsink? Checked to make sure you don't have cables obstructing airflow? Checked to make sure the fans are still spinning?

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SomeJerk

Check for dust, and if you don't have any case fans, you're lucky it hasn't melted on you

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FritzDude

Have you tried downgrading the resolution to 720p or similar?

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Contro

Which GTX295 model?

I would try disassembling the cards cooler to remove all dust. It could be that your case appears fine but within the card itself you have a major build up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.