Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Softpedia delivers drivers in good time

PlipO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A few days ago I sent a message to softpedia.com – complementing them about the ease of use of their site and asking them if they intend to expand their drivers database. This message was prompted by my frustration at searching for but having little success at finding drivers for an Advent laptop which I had recently bought. I was lucky, they responded within three days and gave me a link to drivers for my laptop. I suspect they posted that driver page on the same day they sent me a response, the update date on the page, was the same as the day I received softpedia's response.

If you are looking for old driver but struggling – you might consider doing the same thing. The more people softpedia sees asking for drivers, the more likely they are to make a real effort to expand their drivers database.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I prefer to use AltaVista AOL Keywords to get the Windows 95 drivers that I need for my Sound Blaster.

PlipO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you make a mistake when you typed 'Windows 95 drivers' or do you really still use that OS?

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@plipo: Its the hottest new hipster craze to use Windows 95. Some are hardcore and deal with all the problems, others just apply win 95 skin to win 7 and are total poseurs. In any case, there are now those who are working on improving driver support for win 95 so the hardcore can at least do the basics.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You haven't lived until you've played Oregon Trail on Windows 95 in 1080p.

PlipO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PlipO

@super2j: If I see anyone using an OS that is earlier than Windows 2K, I would throw some ice water over them, laugh until I'm weak then introduce them to the warms pleasures of the various Linux distros.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hey now, nothing wrong with having 95 on hand. As Vinny could attest, sometimes you just gotta get your FMV (or other game that just isn't the same/just won't run on a modern machine) on.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Softpedia always seemed like it would just have viruses named the same as the file you needed. I don't know why, but I always avoided doing anything on that site.

PlipO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb: You are very wrong, I have been using that site for many years and I have never got a dodgy file from it. And because Download.com, Softonic.com etc are now offering and misleading people into download their unnecessary download managers - sites such as Softpedia are more user friendly because you simply get the file you requested, nothing else.

Someone must have started a user friendly, public accessible driver database project. I am not the only person that get pissed off at the thought of having to sign up to those sites run by dodgy gits who want to get you to install their crapware before they will allow you to download drivers they did not create, pay for or improve. These gits should be put out of business, the best way I believe - a free, no sign up site that allow easy download of legacy drivers. If manufactures had common sense, they would build such a service together and stop these gits from frustrating people when we try to use old computer equipment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.