Strange Flickering. Help please -_-;;

#1 Edited by Fobwashed (2169 posts) -

My pc started having weird flickering and crash issues all of a sudden. I think my Video Card may be going bad, but I'm not positive. I just picked it up a few months back and am wondering if I'll have to swap it out again =\

Any insight or suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryyQvYZoFrc&feature=youtu.be

#2 Posted by Kaiserreich (732 posts) -

Does it happen in any other programs?

#3 Posted by mosdl (3243 posts) -

You card might be overheating, check with HWMonitor or similar tools.

#4 Edited by ModernAlkemie (368 posts) -

Obviously your computer cannot handle those taxing graphics.

#5 Posted by BombcastGoldthwait (250 posts) -

Don't know. Hope that helps.

#6 Posted by Fobwashed (2169 posts) -

@Kaiserreich said:

Does it happen in any other programs?

Not the same problem. In Left 4 Dead, textures are like, stretching across the entire screen.

@mosdl: I thought that might be the case, so I downloaded MSI Afterburner to keep track of heat and it never goes over the mid 80s Celsius so I don't think it's overheating.

@ModernAlkemie: The same aforementioned application tells me that on that specific program, it's only using like 2% of my gpu and heat is very low.

I've tried lowering my Core Clock and Memory Clock speeds and for now it seems to have stabilized everything but I wasn't overclocking anything to begin with so I really don't understand what the problem might be. I'm just wondering if my vid card is actually going bad or if someone knows what other things may be causing these issues. Thanks for the responses and any more pointers would continue to be appreciated.

#7 Posted by NakAttack (1291 posts) -

@Fobwashed: Anything over 50c is way to hot duder. Your gpu is overheating.

#8 Posted by stenchlord (233 posts) -

Sounds like a temp issue, up the fan speed.

50°C is fine for GPUs under load. nVidia cards are usually best under 70°C and Radeon cards 80°C. Anything more and you will be doing damage to your card. Just raise the fan speed and you should be fine.

#9 Posted by Fobwashed (2169 posts) -

@NakAttack: @stenchlord: I'll try upping the fan speed. One of my first guesses as to what was wrong was overheating which was why I got the Afterburner thing to check. Following, I did some light research online and what I found was that you're good to go up till you hit the 90's. I'm not overclocking or anything and I think I've got at least average airflow in my pc so it's a bit weird that I'm getting so much heat =\

Thanks for the tips. I'll report back if I have any more issues or, if I can't get my temp to get down to the numbers you guys are suggesting.

#10 Posted by NakAttack (1291 posts) -

@Fobwashed: No prob duder. The fan on your gpu may be clogged with dust also.

#11 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@NakAttack said:

@Fobwashed: Anything over 50c is way to hot duder. Your gpu is overheating.

Sorry, but that's not correct. GPUs like the 460 and beyond are rated to operate at 80-120c (nominal-peak). Very few cards idle that low (50c) though some will.

@Fobwashed: Nobody has bothered to ask (useful) but what's your GPU?

Personally it looks like your video card's RAM might be failing because the issue is showing up in a recording. Did you use FRAPS?

#12 Posted by Grillbar (1898 posts) -

instead of making a new thread im gonna ask this question. BSOD problems with my pc it basically does this as soon or very close to when i log in even in failsafe mode. but if i pop my windows cd in my drive its no problem. i have not installed anything new on it not even drivers. i have tried reverting windows to the safepoint, that diddent help and tried reinstalling windows/repair and that did nothing. the only thing i have not tried is formatting my drive and starting all over agian. thats last resort.

cant completely remember the fail log but its something like interrupt_ something_something

#13 Edited by hussatron (189 posts) -

@Grillbar: Probably something like Interrupt_Exception_Not_Handled? On the screen there might be a file listed that ends in sys (or you might be able to also get this information in the event viewer). If so, post the file name since it will likely be associated with the problematic driver. Otherwise, if you can find the any related events in the event viewer, then the information they contain might be helpful.

@Fobwashed: If you bought the card new just a few months back it should still be under warranty so before you do anything too crazy if might be worth it just to contact them and see what they say. Also, 80 degrees celsius is not overheating for the gpu but I had a similar problem once with a video card that had the memory heatsinks become detached. The monitoring program I was using reported the gpu temperature but not the memory temperature so it took some detective work.

#14 Posted by Fobwashed (2169 posts) -

I tried upping my fan speed and keeping it in the 60~70 range and the problem continues. =\

@SeriouslyNow said:

@NakAttack said:

@Fobwashed: Anything over 50c is way to hot duder. Your gpu is overheating.

Sorry, but that's not correct. GPUs like the 460 and beyond are rated to operate at 80-120c (nominal-peak). Very few cards idle that low (50c) though some will.

@Fobwashed: Nobody has bothered to ask (useful) but what's your GPU?

Personally it looks like your video card's RAM might be failing because the issue is showing up in a recording. Did you use FRAPS?

My GPU is a GeForce GTX 560 Ti.

@NakAttack said:

@Fobwashed: No prob duder. The fan on your gpu may be clogged with dust also.

My fans appear to be functioning properly and are clean of dust. Problem ensues =(

@hussatron said:

@Fobwashed: If you bought the card new just a few months back it should still be under warranty so before you do anything too crazy if might be worth it just to contact them and see what they say. Also, 80 degrees celsius is not overheating for the gpu but I had a similar problem once with a video card that had the memory heatsinks become detached. The monitoring program I was using reported the gpu temperature but not the memory temperature so it took some detective work.

Since it's going crazy running a very simple 3D program, I sorta doubt that it's memory temperature. The program I linked is barely taxing the GPU at all (around <5%) and the temp of the card is below 55 degrees. No clue what's going on so I went ahead and submitted a question at Nvidia. I'm not sure what that'll do but it's worth a shot. Also, while I only bought the card a few months back, I no longer have the packaging for it =( I'm also unsure whether or not I actually registered the product when I picked it up. Shazbot. . .

#15 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

I tried upping my fan speed and keeping it in the 60~70 range and the problem continues. =\

@SeriouslyNow said:

@NakAttack said:

@Fobwashed: Anything over 50c is way to hot duder. Your gpu is overheating.

Sorry, but that's not correct. GPUs like the 460 and beyond are rated to operate at 80-120c (nominal-peak). Very few cards idle that low (50c) though some will.

@Fobwashed: Nobody has bothered to ask (useful) but what's your GPU?

Personally it looks like your video card's RAM might be failing because the issue is showing up in a recording. Did you use FRAPS?

My GPU is a GeForce GTX 560 Ti.

You didn't tell what you recorded that vid with.

#16 Posted by Fobwashed (2169 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow: Oops, sorry. I recorded it with FRAPS. The video came out exactly like my screen.

#17 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

@SeriouslyNow: Oops, sorry. I recorded it with FRAPS. The video came out exactly like my screen.

OK, cool because I wanted to know if that came from the Framebuffer or from the video output pins. As it came from the framebuffer we can safely eliminate a monitor cable or display connector issue. If a driver update/reinstall doesn't fix the problem then it's most likely your VRAM which is failing. GPU VRAM (on consumer cards) isn't error checked (for speed) so it can operate even when whole segments are faulty. Your screen corruption indicates such an issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.