Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

system performance - Vista

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DeadlyPain

is there any program on the market - free would be nice - that allows me to tweak and store my teaked settings for help boost my systems performance?
    Manually messing with services and programs in the background etc
    you know, set it and simply click to use that setup then simply click again to restore previous settings.

Also - should i keep superfetch active?
    Im a gamer and games load - on the fly - so to speak and superfetch is really for people that do alot of other usage on the system - those programs im not too fussed about loading slowly - i want to free up my system from as much system hogging stuff as possible

plus i hear superfetch is pointless if you turn your computer off as it resets - i don't keep my computer on and only turn it on when im using it - so superfetch isn't exactly needed - but will i really see any benefits with it active? :/

Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Xelloss

Just uninstall unwanted programs, and disable windows system restore, it is pointless and uses up resources for no reason. 

But check out CCleaner its free will detele temp files, cookies cache etc.  Also you can go in and remove programs from starting up with vista.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zeus_gb

I don't think turning off system restore is a very good idea.  Changing the limit on the space it can use fine but disabling it can make it harder to fix Windows when something goes wrong.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Kazona

If you are absolutely certain that you will never need the system restore function, then you can disable it. As far as I know it's not possible to tweak how much space it takes up. Keep one thing in mind though: as a gamer you're likely to often install new drivers for your videocard and soundcard for the possibility of improving performance or compatibility. If this fails, however, and you don't have the restore function turned on, you will not be able to easily revert back to the previous driver. I dunno, it doesn't harm your system to leave it turned on, so I'd leave it be.

As for disabling superfetch, I've seen contradicting statements about it. But disabling it won't do any damage to your system, so the best way to find out if it helps improve game performance is by testing it out yourself. If you do disable it make sure you disable Readyboost along with it since the latter no longer serves any purpose when you have Superfetch turned off.

There are also plenty of programs available to tweak Vista, but most of them are counter-productive for gamers. Instead I suggest you take a look at this guide, which is awesome if you really want to turn off as many useless services as possible. Oh, one program I am a big fan of myself is TuneUp Utilities.
    SimpleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SimpleBear
    Kazona said:
    "If you are absolutely certain that you will never need the system restore function, then you can disable it. As far as I know it's not possible to tweak how much space it takes up. Keep one thing in mind though: as a gamer you're likely to often install new drivers for your videocard and soundcard for the possibility of improving performance or compatibility. If this fails, however, and you don't have the restore function turned on, you will not be able to easily revert back to the previous driver. I dunno, it doesn't harm your system to leave it turned on, so I'd leave it be.
    As for disabling superfetch, I've seen contradicting statements about it. But disabling it won't do any damage to your system, so the best way to find out if it helps improve game performance is by testing it out yourself. If you do disable it make sure you disable Readyboost along with it since the latter no longer serves any purpose when you have Superfetch turned off.

There are also plenty of programs available to tweak Vista, but most of them are counter-productive for gamers. Instead I suggest you take a look at this guide, which is awesome if you really want to turn off as many useless services as possible. Oh, one program I am a big fan of myself is TuneUp Utilities."
    Yes disabling services is a great way to save some extra resources. Also, vdeo card drivers (NVIDIA/ATI) both provide their own tweak settings and you can create profiles for them.
    Judge_Zetsumei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Judge_Zetsumei

I second TuneUp Utilities. It is the most useful maintenance program I have ever come across. I had a .dll error with guitar hero 3, I ran TuneUp Utilities and it fixed it! However for tweaking tweakvista by stardock is a better choice, buy them both and your pc will run like lightning.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By xplodedd

what id do is buy a ram specific USB key, those speed up your system.

Decimator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Decimator
    DeadlyPain said:
    "is there any program on the market - free would be nice - that allows me to tweak and store my teaked settings for help boost my systems performance?
    Manually messing with services and programs in the background etc
    you know, set it and simply click to use that setup then simply click again to restore previous settings.

Also - should i keep superfetch active?
    Im a gamer and games load - on the fly - so to speak and superfetch is really for people that do alot of other usage on the system - those programs im not too fussed about loading slowly - i want to free up my system from as much system hogging stuff as possible

plus i hear superfetch is pointless if you turn your computer off as it resets - i don't keep my computer on and only turn it on when im using it - so superfetch isn't exactly needed - but will i really see any benefits with it active? :/"
    As soon as I got Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, I started searching on how to tweak it and speed it up. Not because it was slow, just because I always want a maximum performing computer.

So after searching I came across two things, and I promise you they both work!

Good luck with the tweaking! For any questions or suggestions, feel free to post in my blog or write a private message! ;-)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.