Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Thoughts on this guys?

lukereees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lukereees

I only have £450 max is this probably the best PC i can build to play wow on with this budget and upgrade in the future, opinions on this?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/yP6xCJ

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That i3 kind of concerns me for gaming. I personally would have a floor of an i5 as a base.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullpanda1: I'd generally recommend an i5, but the dude's primarily going to be playing WoW and only has £450 to spare. Also, the i3's performance is often underestimated, it might surprise you how close it can come to matching an i5 in real world gaming performance.

@lukereees: If you're able to go up to £450, you could bump the cpu up to an i3-4360, and have enough left over to get a 1TB HD instead.

lukereees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pcorb: i got a 1TB HD in my current pc would that work?

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukereees: Probably, yes, assuming it's a regular SATA drive and not too old to be useful and reliable. Is there anything else in your current PC you could reuse? The case, DVD drive, or RAM maybe?

lukereees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pcorb: its around 3-4 years old, its an acer aspire i think the ram is like 3gb its so bad and i actually play wow on it with low graphics and 20ish fps makes me feel ill... the dvd drive is fine i assume the case is worn and quite small so probably will get a new case

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

If you wanted to save a bit of cash you could swap out that i3 in favor of the Pentium G3258. It's basically an i3 with hyperthreading disabled and is overclockable. Really great performing CPU for the price, and you can still upgrade to an i5 4690k in the future.

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By TPoppaPuff

WoW came out in 2004. While it has evolved and they recently upped the graphics, it's still a relatively low spec game. Any modern PC should be able to run it just fine so long as it's not a Pentium or Celeron* processor with built in GPU.

EDIT: Just took a look at it. You should be more than fine. I'm not even sure how much WoW can take advantage of quad-core processors anyway. If it's unoptimized for quad-cores an i3 at 3.5GHz is better than an i5 at 3GHz, but I haven't been keeping up with any of WoW's tech progress. I'd suggest quad core for future games but if your primary concern is just WoW you'll be fine.

*Yes, Pentium and Celeron do still exist. They are the bottom tiers on Intel's five star system (i3 = 3 stars, etc.).

lukereees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm its my first custom build im unfamilair with overclocking, how do i do this?

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukereees: Oh, if it's a pre-built case then yeah, I definitely wouldn't bother reusing it. Those things aren't designed to be built in. I'd be reluctant to use a mechanical drive that old as a boot drive for a new system. You might be better off just using it for additional storage and booting off a new drive.

You can save a tenner by reusing the DVD drive at least.

@turtlebird95: The G3258 would be the best budget chip by a mile if it weren't for the fact that a number of modern games refuse to work with a non hyper-threaded dual core, and that looks to be a growing trend.

lukereees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So hard to decide to build the Pc in OP or change one or two things also will there be a lack of usb ports?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@lukereees:

I honestly wouldn't worry about overclocking unless you plan on doing a lot of emulation with things like Dolphin and such. The stock speeds will be fine for pretty much any game I can think of.

If you decide you do want to overclock make sure to read/watch a bunch of guides and fully understand it before attempting. It's pretty simple though, just a matter of going into your bios and tweaking a few a numbers.

@pcorb Which games have been doing that? I'm currently using one until I can swing an i5 and I haven't really seen or heard of any particular games that won't run on it for that reason. (Unless you mean the games that require 4 cores, but those probably wouldn't run on an i3 either)

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pcorb

@lukereees: There are 2 USB 2.0 ports on the front of the case, but no USB 3.0. At the back (on the motherboard) there are 4 USB 3.0 and 4 more USB.2.0. There won't be a lack of USB ports, no.

@turtlebird95: I've heard specific accounts of Dragon Age Inquisition and Far Cry 4 having issues with the G3258, and from what I can tell, Frostbite and Ubisoft's engines just don't want to work with dual cores in general.

thisluckyguess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks fine (possibly even overkill) for WoW. If it were me, I'd consider going for the cheapest 'known' memory/mobo, and putting the small savings towards a small SSD instead of the HD. Amazon has a 120 for £50. That's not for everyone and involves some sacrifice, but it'll make everything feel so much faster.

Personally I wouldn't go below i3. Mine is starting to show it's age a bit, but it'll cope for a while.

lukereees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thisluckyguess: really? Do you think i could run wow on max settings and maintain a steady fps?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Corevi

@lukereees: At a not ridiculous resolution sure. You aren't going to get 4k out of that thing, but at 1080? Definitely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.