Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Upgrading only gfx card or whole system?

Atlanton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Atlanton

Hey guys,

I have a upgrading question, my current setup is a i7-2600k, GTX680, 16GBDDR3. The problem i have is that the gfx card is acting difficult for some time now so i decided to look at an upgrade. i'm looking at both a 980GTX and a 980GTX ti.

The question i have is if it is wise to put such a gfx card in with the rest of my hardware or will the rest of my system be a bottleneck for this card? I thought i ask because as you can see from my setup it has been a while since i build my pc and i haven't followed every evolution since then... If my current setup can manage with these cards i will def take the Ti, if not the whole thing becomes a bit expensive... If this is not a good idea what CPU do you recommend, looking at the numbers i think a 5820k or 4790k both seem good options but the combo of all these parts is a great chunk of money so i hoped you guys could give your opinions and info so i can make a smart decision!

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Honestly I'd stick with the CPU you have an get a good GPU. Very few games are pushing the limit CPU wise so your older i7 is still pretty decent. If anything get an SSD in the machine to notice even better performance.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This article should be an interesting read for you even if it's about i5-2500k.

If you want to upgrade now then only buy a new GPU. If you have patience then it is rumored that AMD and NVIDIA release their new entry level graphics cards sometime during the summer and high end cards will arrive later.

980 ti is a fast card and should run fine in your system. If you want a cheaper card in 980 range then r9 390X is actually faster especially if you have windows 10.

beanswater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll repeat what @icemo and @yothatlimp have said in that you should be just fine with a GPU upgrade. That CPU should still drive even high level cards just fine.

Also, this is surely the default by now but I would say if you don't already have an SSD definitely do that because it will change your life.

Barthez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You only need to upgrade your graphics card, the rest of your system is fine for now and the near future, the CPU will definitely not bottleneck any current and near-future graphics cards you decide to pair it with - even more so as games start using the new APIs such as DirectX 12 and Vulkan, which free-up the CPU from doing work for the GPU substantially.

To be honest, if I were in your position I'd wait until the next set of GPUs are revealed from both AMD and Nvidia (which will happen within a month) to see if they're worth waiting for.

Also, as @beanswater said, if you don't have an SSD in your PC, I'd focus on that as it will be a huge boost over a traditional HDD.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Atlanton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an SSD and as said, that is a gamechanger, i guess the best thing is to wait for the new announcements. i'll try to stretch this thing a little longer! So thanks for now guys and of course: more advice, tips and opinions are always welcome ;-)

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

You CPU is fine. But, I think this is a hard time to recommend spending a ton of money on a new rig. I think VR is not going away, and I think the stuff we are seeing in 2016 is really the early adopter stuff - not the VR we all will really want.

So, I would hold off re-doing you whole computer for another two years. Just upgrade the GPU, and to be honest I would shove a $650+ card in it either...unless money isn't an issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.