Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

video card memory size?

Avatar image for canadiantoastzombie
    canadiantoastzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

how much of a difference would it make to go from 512 MB to 1 gig?

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Nomin

I reckon that at resolutions over 1680x1050, it would be prudent to go over 512 MB.

NazDun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NazDun

The size doesn't matter too much, but for the newer games you should have 512mb. The only thing you really have to worry about is the monitor size. For higher resolutions you need a higher  frequency (8800gt vs. 8800gtx/gts....on higher resolutions like 1600x1200 the gt would lose more performance over the gtx than it would on 1024x768).

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Black_Raven

Depends what your doing. For gaming the only reasonable choice would be 512mb of vram. 1gig isn't needed for gaming. And like whats already being said memory bandwidth is important.

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By StressedOutCat

wel like the other members have already stated... it depends on the size of your screen... if yours is not bigger than a 22" then 1680x1050 is your desktop.. so 512MB is enough.. if you go to screens the size of 24" .. then you would need the 1GB GDDR ...

y0y0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By y0y0

also remember that AA/AF is memory intensive so more would be better however if the card is at a 128 bit memory interface then theres no point really in increasing memory, so im just going to say dont look at memory at all look at the card first.

dwarfzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dwarfzilla

Beyond 512, the price-performance ratio is not realistic for most people.

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By albaker

Plus, if it is GDDR5 or GDDR3 it makes a difference, just look at the 4850 and 4870 they are GDDR5 512MB and beat alot of Nvidia cards out there

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By calf_exercises

it all depends on the card it self. Try finding some bench marks or reviews. that will give you a clear idea.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Black_Raven
    VonWolfman said:
    "I had an app for ati cards, it would show you the mem used on your card.. every game i had i cranked up and the highest it ever got was 350MB, so it seems useless to have more then 512."
    Same here, while running crysis on high at the res 1440X900. I think you would need to play at some ridiculous res to need 1gig of ram, whats more important is memory bandwidth.
    ShiningMyDuggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By ShiningMyDuggy
    Nomin said:
    "I reckon that at resolutions over 1680x1050, it would be prudent to go over 512 MB."
    To add to what Normin wrote, I believe from now to the next 2 years or so, you'll be just fine with 512mb of ram, but from what I've seen from the steady progression of games requiring more and more ram, 512mb will be the new "recommended" (required imo) amount to run future blockbuster hits at even 1280x1024 rez. That's just my honest opinion.
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By VACkillers

i also just wanted to add, if your into anything remotely like video editing, for me, i like using a program called FRAPS to record my gaming action which if you like to do, more memory you have, the better. When your multi-tasking like that, recording and ripping/encoding videos ect, always better to have more memory, but for standard gaming, unless your on super high resolutions  you wont really notice much between 512-1GB.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.