Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Virtual Machine

Avatar image for deactivated-645bae7e4c4bc
    deactivated-645bae7e4c4bc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sup Duders,

Looking at trying to run a whole stack of old PC game's I've got and was wondering if any one knew of a good website to download a virtual machine from for Windows 7.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Oracle Virtual Machine.

But it's not exactly emulation, if that's what you're thinking.

edgeCrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've used Virtualbox, VMWare Player and DOSBox for virtualization, but have had limited success for gaming applications. The hardware virtual machine extensions on CPU's work fantastically with VM software for processing power, but anything more complicated than software rendering shits the bed in a VM. I've had games that require 512 MB VRAM crawl along at single digit frame rates inside a VM with gigs of system RAM. Sadly VM extensions for dedicated GPU's don't exist yet. Unless you're playing DOS games in a Win 98 VM, I'd quit while ahead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.