Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Weird issue while building my PC...

Neezie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I got all of my parts together and my friend said he'd help me with the build. We spent all day putting it together, but we keep hitting this weird issue. Whenever we try to boot it up, it goes for about half a second then shuts down.

We have tried a bunch of different tests to figure out the problem. We tried removing everything down to the basic components needed to run, and it still happened. During that test we tried each stick of RAM, his RAM, with and without the graphics card, and still face the same issue. Things got weird when we took everything out of the case, and it booted just fine. It even worked when we put all the pieces together outside of the case.. So we tried putting it into his case (he has the same one as me) and the issue happened again. So it has to be either the power supply or motherboard.

This weekend we are going to try running it outside of the case with the power supply in the case, and try running it with new screws, holds in the case, and with rubber washers between the scews/holds.

If it still does this we are going to RMA/return the motherboard and power supply, but before we do all this I was wondering if you guys had any ideas about what could be the issue?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jams

Did you buy a heatsink for your cpu?

My money's on the power supply. Did you ever try switching that out?

Neezie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By mikey87144

I had this issue. Make sure your CPU power cable is connected to the motherboard. It's probably a good idea to check all the cables while you're at it.

Neezie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jams: Tried the stock heatsink and a separate one I bought, both worked outside the case

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FritzDude

So let me get this straight: When removing the motherboard out of the case with or without components it works? But when putting it in the case it doesn't function? Are you guys sure it's not the board that is short circuiting because you have put too many motherboard standing screws? If one screw doesn't pop through the whole of the board, but instead under it, it will crash the system and can damage the motherboard.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

So let me get this straight: When removing the motherboard out of the case with or without components it works? But when putting it in the case it doesn't function? Are you guys sure it's not the board that is short circuiting because you have put too many motherboard standing screws? If one screw doesn't pop through the whole of the board, but instead under it, it will crash the system and can damage the motherboard.

First thing that came to my mind.

Sounds for sure like something is shorting out somewhere on the case.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Your power switch, stand-by or something case derived at fault. I got a faulty case when I did my first build.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah, that sounds right for this problem. I had that happen to me once.

Neezie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fritzdude: hmmmm, we did use all of the stand off screws so that sounds like that could be it. Thanks!

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Zelyre

@neezie said:

@fritzdude: hmmmm, we did use all of the stand off screws so that sounds like that could be it. Thanks!

Yeah. If you use all of them, you're shorting something.

Put the board in first, make a mental note of where the mounting holes are, remove the board, and put the stand offs in.

Cases come with mounts for standoffs for just about every make and model of board. A smaller board may need standoffs at the ends and in the middle, so the holes are drilled in. On a larger board, the middle isn't going to line up with the middle on the smaller board, so holes are drilled in. If you put stand offs in every hole, you'll have the metal of the standoff pushing against the motherboard where there's no hole, causing a short.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@rowr said:

@fritzdude said:

First thing that came to my mind.

Sounds for sure like something is shorting out somewhere on the case.

I have to agree when I heard this it sounded like something was shorting. Might want to grab a voltometer and do some testing if the standing screws does not solve it.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

A poorly placed back plate for the motherboard connectors can also cause a short as well... I hate those things, the ones where you gotta fiddle about with those god awful prongs to make the back plate cover fit, one time I hate one of those prongs touching the motherboard in a weird way which was causing it to short, I just took it out and worked fine then.

Neezie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was the stand offs, we took a few off and it works perfectly. Thanks everyone!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.