Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

what laptop should I get?

Avatar image for canadiantoastzombie
    canadiantoastzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Hello, I'm looking for a laptop that can competently play a game like css, but can mainly run photoshop and some 3d programs like blender. I don't really know about laptop hardware in terms of how powerful a GT 335M and how it would perform in css. But I do know a fair amount about desktop hardware. So if you could compare the laptops hardware to my currant desktop build (or other desktop graphics cards and such) that would be great. Also I'm not look for a laptop that is really any more powerful than my currant build because I'm happy with it. The only reason I want this laptop is for school.

currant build:
    - radeon hd 4850 
    - AMD athelon II x2 2.8 GHz  
    - 4 gigs of DD2 ram  

I don't know what is considered cpu heavy photoshop work so here is a link to a few things I've done so far on my desktop  http://toastbomb.deviantart.com/gallery/  

Here are a few I was looking at, alienware Mx11(I know the mx11 has no dvd drive and that is alright with me) or asus k72 not really sure after that. 

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DystopiaX

I'd include budget, screen preferences, things like that. Hard to pinpoint otherwise.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By BigLemon

Always been a fan of ASUS products. Don't know much about the alienware line, except that they are usually hella expensive.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @canadiantoastzombie said:
    " Hello, I'm looking for a laptop that can competently play a game like css, but can mainly run photoshop and some 3d programs like blender. I don't really know about laptop hardware in terms of how powerful a GT 335M and how it would perform in css. But I do know a fair amount about desktop hardware. So if you could compare the laptops hardware to my currant desktop build (or other desktop graphics cards and such) that would be great. Also I'm not look for a laptop that is really any more powerful than my currant build because I'm happy with it. The only reason I want this laptop is for school.

currant build:
    - radeon hd 4850 
    - AMD athelon II x2 2.8 GHz  
    - 4 gigs of DD2 ram  

I don't know what is considered cpu heavy photoshop work so here is a link to a few things I've done so far on my desktop  http://toastbomb.deviantart.com/gallery/  

Here are a few I was looking at, alienware Mx11(I know the mx11 has no dvd drive and that is alright with me) or asus k72 not really sure after that.  "
    Anything alien ware is jacked in price because of the name brand. 
    canadiantoastzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Laughing_Man: yeah I kindove know that, I just looks so damn cool! Plus their lowest level mx11 is currently $600 as apposed to $800 so that's appealing.
    canadiantoastzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DystopiaX: I don't really care what size of a screen I have the mx11 is only 11.6" and I would be perfectly happy with that. And for hard drive space I don't need much, on my desktop now I'm only using about 90 gigs so I would never end up using more than 250 gigs. My budget would probably be under 900 if possible. I guess I'm mainly just wondering what laptops could perform closely to or out perform my current computer.
    tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By tourgen
    @canadiantoastzombie:  Lenovo makes nice stuff.  They're solid and hold together under a lot of abuse.  I've got a W500 that's probably around what you are looking for - FireGL 5700, 4gb, core duo T9600.  you can get some really nice options like a 9 cell battery and a backup battery that replaces the hot-swap optical drive.  The W500 is obsolete now and is replaced by the W510.  Way nicer, much better gfx card and CPU.  Lenovo runs good deals every now and then.  Watch dealnews.com and wait on a nice deal if you want one.  Lenovo T series are also pretty good but the W series are designed for gfx artists and designers.  The lower end Lenovo stuff is pretty much like all the other junky medium to low-end laptops out there.  Not worth it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.