Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

XCOM first time playthrough - Enemy Unknown or Enemy Within?

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am going to play the new XCOM for the first time and I'm wondering if I should play Enemy Unknown to start out with or would I be better off just jumping right into Enemy Within?

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enemy Within. You just get more stuff and more options for tech. If you feel completely overwhelmed you might want to restart with unknown though. Both offer tutorials and such

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I always think you should do one play through of a game without the expansion, unless it is literally buggy garbage and the expansion serves as a giant big fix patch. I think it's nice to be able to appreciate the additions/tweaks.

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always think you should do one play through of a game without the expansion, unless it is literally buggy garbage and the expansion serves as a giant big fix patch. I think it's nice to be able to appreciate the additions/tweaks.

I understand that sentiment, but maybe I should rephrase my question. If I were to only play through XCOM one time, which version would be the best version to play? I know that isn't exactly how I worded my original question, but that is what I meant to ask. :)

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@sargon: Alright, then Enemy Within. On Normal. Classic (hard) will tear you apart until you fully understand the pace you have to set with the tech tree to keep up (plus you need to know every way to leverage tactical advantages in combat). I do recommend playing the game a few times, though.

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, thanks for the replies. I went ahead and picked up Enemy Within for 50% off in the Steam sale, so I will give that a go over the holiday.

JJenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently started playing as well, and I actually prefer having more assault soldiers than heavies. Dat run and gun.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Enemy unknown first. Enemy Within makes you way too powerful and can change the game to a reckless run and gun style.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.