Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Arena

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 07, 2012

Persona 4 Arena is an Arc System Works-developed fighting game with an Atlus-developed story mode that serves as the official sequel to both Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Gamespot "Quick Look" of P4A

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By myniceicelife
    Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That menu sure does have a ton of modes.

• Lesson Mode
    • Story Mode
    • Arcade Mode
    • Score Attack Mode
    • Training Mode
    • Challenge Mode
    • Versus Mode
    • Network Mode
    • Gallery Mode
    Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Phatmac

Sweet! Thanks for this!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Aetheldod

Oh it looks awesome and interesting ...

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus

I don't even know why I'm watching any more footage of this. I already know I'm going to buy it day one.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#6  Edited By metalsnakezero

Cool, now Giant bomb needs to get their quick look on this game.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@metalsnakezero said:

Careful what you wish for...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@FluxWaveZ said:

@metalsnakezero said:

I'd link to the original BlazBlue Quick Look but I don't want to relive that nightmare.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#9  Edited By metalsnakezero

@Rmack said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@metalsnakezero said:

I'd link to the original BlazBlue Quick Look but I don't want to relive that nightmare.

I'm fully aware of how Jeff feels about Arc Systems games but they have changed since he last tried any of their games and they have improved their system over the years.

Still, Jeff really needs to learn that not all fighters are going to be a Street Fighter.

pepperzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By pepperzz

ALL FIGHTERS AREN'T STREET FIGHTER?! WHAT BLASPHEMY IS THIS!

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11  Edited By Phatmac

Ugh, this quick look is really awkward. Also wish they showed some story stuff as that is probably the main reason that I'll play this.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

@metalsnakezero said:

@Rmack said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@metalsnakezero said:

I'm fully aware of how Jeff feels about Arc Systems games but they have changed since he last tried any of their games and they have improved their system over the years.

Still, Jeff really needs to learn that not all fighters are going to be a Street Fighter.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By xymox

Gamespot did this before Giantbomb.

Cya in anotha life brotha

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Canteu

I cannot wait for P4A, and this "quick look" cements that feeling.

I just hope they iron out the 360 net code before release.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By renmckormack

@pepperzz said:

ALL FIGHTERS AREN'T STREET FIGHTER?! WHAT BLASPHEMY IS THIS!

ALL RESTAURANTS ARE TACO BELL

yea. I always felt Blaz Blu characters felt too floaty? But I got into it after Street Fighter 4ing my face off. But I did like Guilty Gear back when fighting games were in a tough spot. So maybe if a take a break from SF4 P4A will make more sense.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Animasta

@Hailinel said:

@metalsnakezero said:

@Rmack said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@metalsnakezero said:

they are automatically going to be more fair about it because jeff didn't care for guilty gear or blazblue but he definitely cares about the story in persona 4 so he'll try harder to learn stuff in it.

simple!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Animasta said:

they are automatically going to be more fair about it because jeff didn't care for guilty gear or blazblue but he definitely cares about the story in persona 4 so he'll try harder to learn stuff in it.

simple!

He already said something to the effect "too bad this game will be trash" in one of the past TNTs referring to P4A. So, again, don't get your hopes up.

He's a game reviewer. Come on, it's obvious he won't ignore gameplay issues he has with the game just because he likes the story or characters.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@metalsnakezero said:

@Rmack said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@metalsnakezero said:

simple!

Very true. I wonder how he feels about Chie's voice being replaced. I never watch passed the first couple episodes of the endurance run but I got the impression she is Jeff's favorite.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Animasta

@FluxWaveZ: he literally only played it at e3 as far as I know. He'll give it more of a chance because of the story; he'll probably not like it also, but who knows?

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Petiew

Jeff and Vinny Quicklook. 

"Welcome to another episode of the Persona 4 Endurance Run. "
    "Jeff what is going on here, because this looks CRAZY"  "I dunno man, just hitting buttons"
    "Yu Narukami, who's that guy?" 
    "This is an Arc System Works fighting game, and it plays like an Arc System Works fighting game."
    "There are Japanese voices and text for people who are into that sort of thing."

Trial mode will be looked at for 2 minutes, there will be a complaint about the button notation used.
    Simple 5 hit combos will consist of mashing the buttons 20 times loudly.

Quick look bingo!

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kindgineer

I didn't watch the video, not really interested, but I did like the "trimming" for the layout on "Now playing." I thought it was really neat and I'm hoping Giantbomb's new layout really adds more personality to the site design itself. Not saying it's wrong, but there isn't any difference between a game-page from the quick-looks.

Minor concerns, but I'm hoping the team throws some personality into the overall design!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Animasta said:

@FluxWaveZ: he literally only played it at e3 as far as I know. He'll give it more of a chance because of the story; he'll probably not like it also, but who knows?

Did he even play it at E3? He didn't talk about it at all during the podcasts or give any impressions on it.

Also, when one's going in with the prejudice that "this game is going to be crap" before they even play it, it's not as if they're in a mindset to have their opinions changed. I think people need to accept the fact that Jeff won't like fighting games without a legacy and, really, stop fooling themselves. This being a Persona game won't change anything.

Also, that negative comment Jeff and Jared made concerning P4A was made on a TNT 11 months ago, where I mention it in this thread.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Animasta

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Animasta said:

Did he even play it at E3? He didn't talk about it at all during the podcasts or give any impressions on it.

Also, when one's going in with the prejudice that "this game is going to be crap" before they even play it, it's not as if they're in a mindset to have their opinions changed. I think people need to accept the fact that Jeff won't like fighting games without a legacy and, really, stop fooling themselves. This being a Persona game won't change anything.

Also, that negative comment Jeff and Jared made concerning P4A was made on a TNT 11 months ago, where I mention it in this thread.

he played it at e3, it said so on his formspring.

also that was literally 11 months ago, was the game even playable in arcades then?

edit; he's also said this recently:

"Atlus is bringing a copy by next week and I'm curious about the same stuff. If it has a good story mode to it, I'll probably be pretty excited."

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Animasta said:

he played it at e3, it said so on his formspring.

also that was literally 11 months ago, was the game even playable in arcades then?

Oh, I didn't know that. Weird that he didn't mention it on the site, then.

And no, the game wasn't playable and that's what I'm saying. It's immediate prejudice because of the game's developer alone. I think it's ridiculous to think that just the Persona 4 backing of the game will make Jeff forget all the issues he has with games like BlazBlue, Guilty Gear or, basically, any anime fighter or fighting game that's not one of the big names. P4A plays like a mix of GG and BB from all accounts; it's not this ridiculously different fighting game.

Yes, but they won't be focusing on the story mode during a fighting game Quick Look.

I guess we'll see, but I don't believe for a second that story mode and characters alone will have this game be positively received by Jeff even if he doesn't like the gameplay, which is, based on precedence, likely.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Animasta

and like I said, he didn't care about blazblue because he preferred street fighter and there was no draw for him. Here, there is a draw in the story, there hasn't been a good new fighting game release in a while... I'm just saying that you're taking one comment made 11 months ago too seriously.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Animasta: From all of the podcasts and reviews that have demonstrated Jeff's tastes, it's always seemed that a game's core gameplay was more important than story for him. From that BlazBlue Quick Look, it's not just because he preferred SF that he disliked BB, but just because he hated the fighting mechanics of BB (which are really close to those in P4A). A lot of people like Skullgirls (which just came out 3 months ago), but Jeff didn't. I'm not putting too much importance on that quote, actually, but I'm saying that it foreshadows his final opinion on the game.

But yeah, we'll see.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Animasta

I thought he hated blazblue because all of the shit on screen, which is why I was saying that because he has a bigger draw then he'll actually be bothered to learn about it and get over it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Animasta said:

I thought he hated blazblue because all of the shit on screen

Reading his BB review and watching part of that BB QL, I guess he really does just mention problems with the game's aesthetics, inherent ridiculousness and numerous meters; I somehow made the mistake of associating his issues that with the actual gameplay.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kerse

@Petiew said:

Jeff and Vinny Quicklook. "Welcome to another episode of the Persona 4 Endurance Run. ""Jeff what is going on here, because this looks CRAZY" "I dunno man, just hitting buttons" "Yu Narukami, who's that guy?" "This is an Arc System Works fighting game, and it plays like an Arc System Works fighting game." "There are Japanese voices and text for people who are into that sort of thing." Trial mode will be looked at for 2 minutes, there will be a complaint about the button notation used. Simple 5 hit combos will consist of mashing the buttons 20 times loudly. Quick look bingo!

sounds about right, I love P4 but I'm pretty sure I'll hate playing this game so I may not buy it til it goes down in price, unless the story mode is substantial, like MK style.

Reddy1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Reddy1124
    kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kerse

@Reddy1124 said:

@kerse: Apparently, the story mode is 30-40 hours. http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2012/07/02/persona-4-arenas-story-mode-in-console-version-to-be-30-40-hours-long/Which is INSANE for most games, let alone a fighting game. But Arc System Works is known for their story modes in their games. (BlazBlue)

Whoa! If that's true that really is insane, but awesome.

Edit: Hmm wonder if its just like, you could play through the story as each character and that's where they're getting that number. I guess I'll just have to wait and see when it comes out.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By jakob187

@Rmack said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@metalsnakezero said:

I never watched that.

*looks up BlazBlue Quick Look*

I made it to the end of the first round of the first fight...turned it off...and began doing what the kids call "smh".

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FateOfNever

@kerse said:

@Reddy1124 said:

@kerse: Apparently, the story mode is 30-40 hours. http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2012/07/02/persona-4-arenas-story-mode-in-console-version-to-be-30-40-hours-long/Which is INSANE for most games, let alone a fighting game. But Arc System Works is known for their story modes in their games. (BlazBlue)

Whoa! If that's true that really is insane, but awesome.

Edit: Hmm wonder if its just like, you could play through the story as each character and that's where they're getting that number. I guess I'll just have to wait and see when it comes out.

Probably. The BlazBlue games have had a story mode (and this started in the Guilty Gear series as well) of each character has a story mode to go through, but there are different branches to the story depending on how fights go (so for example, at least in the past, if you win a fight, you'll go down one path, but if you lose a fight, it could lead to a different path. Or some of the crazier examples deal with if you won the fight a specific way it would take you down a different path.) It was actually kind of really bad in the first BlazBlue game because most of the conditions were just win or lose a fight, but some losses would just be game over while some losses would lead to actual story, so it left you having to waste a lot of time throwing fights just for the possible chance it might lead to something, and if it didn't, having to do the fight over again. I heard it got better in Continuum Shift, but, I never played that one. That said, since that's sort of been their track record with their fighting games, I'd expect something like that, every character having a lot of different story that you can see, some of which may be alternate endings, some of it may be 'the true story', and sometimes getting to see things in the story from alternate perspectives.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Animasta

@FateOfNever: ASW isn't doing the story stuff though.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gaminghooligan

sweet thanks for the heads up op!

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36  Edited By Cincaid

@FluxWaveZ: Dude. You have 7,730 wiki points on the game's page. You have 494 posts on the game's forum (which is 322 more posts than Hailinel, who is #2 top poster). I'm pretty sure you'll be disappointed no matter how they handle this release/quicklook, unless they're throwing out confetti announcing it the game of the year right off the bat. :)

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FateOfNever

@Animasta said:

@FateOfNever: ASW isn't doing the story stuff though.

I'm really glad I was watching the video when I read that, as I was sitting here thinking "ASW?" and a moment later they said "Arc System Works" on the video and I went "oooooh, right!" Never really heard anyone call them ASW before.

Just because ASW isn't writing the story (oh thank goodness because really, while I enjoy the story and characters from GG and BB, those stories are fuckin' crazy to try and comprehend) doesn't mean it won't be worked into the game in a similar manner. Not that it has to be like that, it is entirely possible they end up with something else and I'd be fine with it if it were, but, I also wouldn't be surprised one ounce if it ends up being done similar to how GG and BB presented their story modes. I'd actually kind of be happy to have something different from the past ASW games story modes.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Animasta

it's definitely still VN style but I have to doubt there's gonna be fights you have to lose and shit

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Cincaid said:

@FluxWaveZ: Dude. You have 7,730 wiki points on the game's page. You have 494 posts on the game's forum (which is 322 more posts than Hailinel, who is #2 top poster). I'm pretty sure you'll be disappointed no matter how they handle this release/quicklook, unless they're throwing out confetti announcing it the game of the year right off the bat. :)

You're very wrong because I won't be disappointed. I simply won't care; you can see my exact sentiment of indifference towards the Catherine review if you read its associated comments. Their opinions are their opinions and they're entitled to them just as much as anyone is; I won't freak because they didn't like a game I did.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.