Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

Is there a trick to the fishing?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hunkulese

I've read all the books and it still seems way too difficult and unforgiving. The bar shrinks super fast and every time I fish I'm just wasting bait.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By rjayb89

I just took my time with it. Whatever color is in the middle, only hold the X button down when it's in there. I know the bar in the middle gets smaller the longer you hold down that button but it eventually gets back to normal size. Anywhere else, you're just losing slack. One of the books help you reel things in faster when the triangle button appears and that made the experience, actually the only experience I had, easier to swallow. Maybe you're missing that or another book? Not sure how many there are, to be honest. I just know that I read everything on fishing before I ever starting fishing. Just be patient and vigilant.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hunkulese

Is it x or circle? It says to hold down circle and I've just held it down the whole time. Maybe that's my problem because I never even come close to catching anything.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hunkulese

So yeah that was my problem. I guess I must have ignored the first lesson and didn't realize you just held the button down while it was in the blue zone.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rjayb89

Oh, is it circle? I forgot, dude, sorry. Just hold it while it's in the green (?) bar in the middle, or in whatever the one that's shrinking is. Let go when it's not in that part.

AkumaXxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AkumaXxX

sorry .. I am way behind in terms of those minigames.. How do you even start fishing? :/ I've tried to ask people around for any clues but I just have no idea how to obtain the rod and all.. care to help? :)

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By StarvingGamer

@AkumaXxX: Talk to the kid outside the shrine in a green shirt to get some bug. Go to the Shiroku store at night and trade the owner the bug for a fish hook. Take the fish hook to the old man.

IIRC

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Hunkulese: Yup, as @rjayb89 explained, the number 1 trick to fishing is not continuously holding down circle.

Use the left analogue to keep the marker in the blue as long as you can, holding circle whilst it's there. As I got better, I'd be tapping circle every time the marker went past as I tried to wrangle it into the centre - and this helps you not lose ground to the fish.

Another tip is to save the fast-reel-in until you have a decent shot at having the marker in the centre for a couple of moments - following up the reel-in with some more normal reeling is the best way to gain a whole bunch of ground on the fish before it can recover.

Once you have those three things down, you're good. Don't hit circle whilst anywhere outside the blue, tap it on time where necissary and use the fast reel-in well. You'll get to the point where you can consistently capture 1 high-level fish / bait. I've only lost one or two guardians in all of my playthroughs.

Oh - and if you didn't know already, the amount of splashing whilst your bait is in the water indicates what fish is on the line. If it's splashing a whole bunch then you have something big - you can recast bait with no penalty, and you can tell how much it'll be splashing within 2-3 seconds of it being in the water.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By Jedted
    @StarvingGamer:  I'm not sure if i missed my opportunity to do this.  I've tried talking to a kid at the shrine(the one who talks about bugs) but he doesn't give me one.  I do have bug catching net which i got from the lady at the shrine. 

I'm currently in January, is it still possible for me to get the fishhook or am i too late in the game?  That old dude by the riverbank keeps talking about his lost fishhook. 
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Jedted: I think the bug you need is a tatsuhime ladybug...? If you have the net then you've already talked to the boy and should be able to catch them on your own. You just need to take the bug to the Shiroku store at night along with a few gems that you should have by now unless you've been selling them.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By Jedted
    @StarvingGamer said:

@Jedted: I think the bug you need is a tatsuhime ladybug...? If you have the net then you've already talked to the boy and should be able to catch them on your own. You just need to take the bug to the Shiroku store at night along with a few gems that you should have by now unless you've been selling them.

Can you only catch that bug at the shrine?  Since it's winter i can't catch bugs at the shrine but i can dig for them in the garden. 
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Jedted: Should be the same bugs at the shrine and your garden. I think.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By rentfn

Love this topic. I never knew how to get the fishing pole. Thanks a lot!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.