Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

Tips of what team to roll with?

lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By lclay

Hey Duders,

I bought a PS Vita a couple months back in anticipation of P4G and have been playing it for a few days now - it is fucking fantastic.

I watched the entirety of the endurance run and so would generally like to have as much of a different experience as I can from Jeff and Vinny, this means I don't want to use Chie, Yosuke and Yukiko throughout like they did. I am pretty early on, just beat Yukiko's boss (first time :D) and so only have those four at the moment but I am thinking a lot about the future.

I like Yosuke a lot, he is my bro so I will keep him and I've heard he is a great combo with Teddie but I've also heard that Teddie can be a great healer so if I have him I could do away with Yukiko? Who should I use instead of Yukiko?

If any of you have suggestions for other teams I could use then let me know!

Cheers guys

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By nightriff

Use whatever team you like, kinda how I feel about the game. I personally like multiple healers so I rock a persona with awesome healing, Yukiko and Teddie along with Kanji cause I have never used him.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By SmasheControllers

Every character is great in their own way and as long as you can cover for your groups missing element, any team is viable.

In all these teams I'm recommending Yukiko is the go to healer rather than Teddie.

Yosuke, Chie and Yukiko. Team Combo = Twin Dragon

This team is the obvious one, be sure you can cover Elec, Multi-ice and Buff/Debuff.

Yosuke, Teddie and Yukkiko. Team Combo = Junes Bomber

This team is support spell heavy, Yosuke can buff the teams Hit/Evade while Teddie buffs the teams Attack and debuffs the enemies defense. If speced into it Teddie can also null enemy stat buffs and debuffs. Be sure you can cover Elec damage.

Kanji, Naoto, Yukiko. Team Combo = Beauty & the Beast

This team is about pure damage, since Naoto will cover all the elements have Kanji focus on Physical damage.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By wchigo

As far as I understand from what other people have said, Naoto (in vanilla P4) was great for dungeon crawling due to her Almighty spells but was generally a bit of a deadweight when it came to boss fights. I hear that's been rectified a bit in P4G as she's been given one of each of the elemental spells.

Generally speaking, I would say that for whatever team combination you would definitely want either Yukiko or Teddie at the very least. With Yukiko, she would act as the party's main healer and you could have either yourself or Yosuke (if you bring him along) act as a support healer in the event you couldn't keep up with the damage output of a boss with her healing alone. I haven't really used Teddie much but I think you may have to take on the role of healing as well. I've heard of some people using the MC as the main healer in these situations and having Teddie act as a back-up healer.

Aside from that, I think almost any party set-up CAN work, given you're willing to have to brute force your way through certain encounters. I went through vanilla P4 with the "default" party (Yosuke, Chie and Yukiko) and that will probably be my group for my first play through of P4G, and in my NG+ I will probably try and switch it up with Kanji, Teddie and Naoto.

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmasheControllers

Each party member is extremely powerful, the reason many go with the Original Team, is because they've been with you longer and are incredibly balanced, for lack of a better word.

Yosuke's the quickest member of the team and I consider him the jack of all trade. Wind is his element, he has decent single target physical damage and with Youthful Wind and Diarama/Diarahan he can act as a great support healer.

Chie is a physical powerhouse, she can do more damage with physical damage than any other member. Since she doesn't have access to multi-ice skills higher than Mabufu, I'd recommend not relaying on her for Ice damage. She has has two of the best physical damage skills in the game. Dragon Hustle is her special skill and is great for bosses, but due to her low SP I've never been able to cast it more than once.

As much as I dislike her, Yukiko is the best healer and the second best spell caster, second to Naoto. She has the highest magic stat and the largest SP pool, she gain access to her -dyne skills quicker than any other member and with Salvation she is a better healer than Teddie. Mind Charge and Burning Petals is the single most damaging group elemental combo.

Kanji is an interesting character, he has the highest Strength stat and largest HP pool. Unlike Chie he magic is still very capable dispite he low magic stat and since he doesn't Power Charge before an attack he will be able get more hits in than Chie. His special skill, The Man's Way, is good but I hardly use it.

It's hard to recommend how to spec Teddie, he can be a healer or a buffer/debuffer. Personally I spec him toward buffing, since his SP pool is much smaller than Yukiko he wouldn't be as good in the long run. Teddie's special skill is the worst of the group and I say don't even take it.

Naoto is one of my favorite members and is easily the most powerful. She has access to all elemental skills, light, dark, Almighty and Physical. It hard to mess up on Naoto, since so many of her skills are good. Shield of Justice is her special skill and is fantastic at keeping to team alive long enough to heal.

As I already stated above it's hard to have a bad team, the only thing you should keep in mind when picking is the Team Combo. Yosuke and Teddie, Chie and Yukiko and Naoto and Kanji make a team combo. EDIT: I wrote this on my iPad so sorry for the formatting...

lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lclay

Thanks man, that is super helpful - I think I'm gonna go with Yukiko for healing and Teddie for buffing and then just keep Yosuke because I like him. I'd like to take Naoto as she seems like a pretty awesome fighter but I just don't like the character very much and would probably avoid s-linking with her over anyone else.

Gnorbooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Team Bro all the way!!! Buffs for everything, debuffs, solid physical attacks, good casting, heals, combo attack, everything you would ever need without all the drama! I've always been a big proponent of Kanji over Chie, which I think he wins everytime in vanilla P4, but not exactly the case with the additions in Golden. Still, he's my homie, that strength stat is sickening, Primal Force has a higher crit chance then God's Hand, phat hook ups with -dyne level electricity, and that matarukaja buff is the icing on the cake since Dragon Hustle is pretty much super end game anyways. Team Bro pretty much lets the Main Character do whatever he damn well pleases, cause you're not having to pick up a lot of slack.

Naoto is still a weird one in Golden. At least in my experiences with her so far. She is still an absolute beast at dungeon clean up with light/dark/boosts/almighty. And honestly that's how I've always liked her. Her magic stat is solid, and right behind Yukiko's, but Naoto doesn't have any bonuses with a particular element. So no extra 75% damage boosts in passives. Which means you have to use accessories and Mind Charge to even get her up to decent damage levels against bosses, and thats still ehhhhhhhhh. I'd rather have a pure bruiser like Kanji or Chie for boss fights then her. And well, I've never had a problem doing some grinding, so I always enjoyed just rolling the dungeons with Naoto, and plucking her out when it comes down to Boss Time. Teddie and Yukiko are pretty much interchangeable for whatever you would rather have. Slightly better heals and damage? Yukiko. More support and better utility? Teddie. I feel Teddie's biggest problem is that he gets too many awesome options and it can be tough what direction to go with him. Too strong!

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnorbooth said:

Team Bro all the way!!! Buffs for everything, debuffs, solid physical attacks, good casting, heals, combo attack, everything you would ever need without all the drama! I've always been a big proponent of Kanji over Chie, which I think he wins everytime in vanilla P4, but not exactly the case with the additions in Golden. Still, he's my homie, that strength stat is sickening, Primal Force has a higher crit chance then God's Hand, phat hook ups with -dyne level electricity, and that matarukaja buff is the icing on the cake since Dragon Hustle is pretty much super end game anyways. Team Bro pretty much lets the Main Character do whatever he damn well pleases, cause you're not having to pick up a lot of slack.

Naoto is still a weird one in Golden. At least in my experiences with her so far. She is still an absolute beast at dungeon clean up with light/dark/boosts/almighty. And honestly that's how I've always liked her. Her magic stat is solid, and right behind Yukiko's, but Naoto doesn't have any bonuses with a particular element. So no extra 75% damage boosts in passives. Which means you have to use accessories and Mind Charge to even get her up to decent damage levels against bosses, and thats still ehhhhhhhhh. I'd rather have a pure bruiser like Kanji or Chie for boss fights then her. And well, I've never had a problem doing some grinding, so I always enjoyed just rolling the dungeons with Naoto, and plucking her out when it comes down to Boss Time. Teddie and Yukiko are pretty much interchangeable for whatever you would rather have. Slightly better heals and damage? Yukiko. More support and better utility? Teddie. I feel Teddie's biggest problem is that he gets too many awesome options and it can be tough what direction to go with him. Too strong!

I love Kanji, but I never felt it necessary to have more than one Physical fighter in my party and since I always have Izanagi to cover Elec damage I always picked Chie. I desperately want to to get rid of Yukiko because I hate her, but Teddie's a better Support fighter than healer and I don't want to be healer. Yosuke is usually always in my party. My team always varies it depends on the dungeon.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'd go with OG crew the

Gnorbooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashecontrollers: I feel yeah. I usually go for a super balanced party (though with late game personas MC pretty much becomes debilitate/physical attack machine) as well. Though there is something kind of comical rolling into a boss fight with essentially three bruisers and a healer. And then preceding to wipe the floor with the boss in like three turns. I've come to love Teddie, and will opt to use him more then Yukiko these days. Mainly for that defense debuff. Makes it so I don't have to debilitate as much and can concentrate on damage more. But Yukiko after five bike rides....becomes something godly. Makes me salivate for a MC/Kanji/Teddie/Yukiko party (I should make that happen next play through). Teddie filling in for heals while Yukiko mind charges and becomes a phat black mage. Yum. And Yosuke is Yosuke. Master of nothing, but pretty damn solid at everything. Gotta respect that.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

My team in the original Persona 4 was thus:

1. Yu, because I had no choice in the matter.
    2. Yosuke, because he's a versatile character.
    3. Yukiko, because I need at least one dedicated healer.
    4. Naoto, because I like her character and wanted to force it as much as I fucking could.
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: YU!? God I hate that name so much and not cause it's not Charlie, I always preferred Souji. It's sounds better.

@gnorbooth: Yosuke was always super useful and although most spec out of healing for him, I always liked from as a Sub-Healer. Youthful Wind and Diarama!

Also something I've been meaning to ask in general does Apt Pupil and Revolution stack?

Gnorbooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashecontrollers: My first playthrough of Persona 4 was the only time I ever left a heal on Yosuke. If I ever needed off-heals, well that's why I'mma Fool. Brosuke needs that Brave Blade to make me feel alive! And that Youthful Wind! And Wind Boost/Amp!

After a quick google search it seems that they do stack. I assumed they would since Apt is a passive spell, and Revolution would just build on top of that. Which seems to be the case.

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnorbooth: Garudyne, Magarudyne, Brave Blade, Diarama, Youthful Wind, Wind Boost, Wind Amp and Evade Elec is what I go with for Yosuke. My builds have always been pretty weird, I keep Hamaon for Chie and Mudoon for Yukiko...

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Always be using Teddie. I actually stuck with the default team. I may have tried experimenting more but at a point that would require grinding my not used characters up. So I made a point of it to mix it up more for Persona 3.

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immortalsaiyan: Persona 3 had so many more characters and the starting team MC(Fire), Akihiko(Elec/Physical), Yukari(Wind/Healer) and Junpei(Fire/Physical), doesn't cover all the elements unlike the P4 team MC(Elec), Yosuke(Wind), Chie(Ice/Physical) and Yukiko(Fire/Healer). I'm only counting the MC's main persona, obviously since they can switch they can cover any element.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.