Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phantasy Star Zero

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 25, 2008

A game in the Phantasy Star series, bringing the series to the DS for the first time

Phantasy Star O DS

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Famitsu have revealed the first footage for the DS title Phantasy Star Zero, showcasing highly impressive visuals and the multiplayer functions.

Trailer (repeated half-way through)

The game, in development by Sonic Team, is due for release in Japan towards the end of the year. No overseas release date has yet been announced.

Phantasy Star 0 DS 8/8/9/8 (33/40) Famitsu Review

Will the game get a western release?, ply your thoughts below.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

If this thing plays anything like the PSP version I played in demo form, it'll be a serious killer app for the DS. That'd be cool if it came out in the US. I could get my cousins something for Christmas that would give them more than a few day's playtime (they get bored of more 'fluffy' games quickly).

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_
    Linkyshinks said:
    "Yeah it definitely could be, the audience is there to soak it in if it did come out in th west. It's also pretty impressive looking for a DS game.  Sonic Team have definitely done a good job there. You get to see a little snippet of the PictoChat style form of communication that the game supports. That new functionality is cool."
    There's a thread full of screenshots over at NeoGAF. And heeeeere is a link.
    Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Chaos

Looks like a great game. I hope it does come over to north america

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Stevokenevo

looks really fine for a ds game.  i'll be super excited if this makes it outside of Japan. 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

Considering the 2000 poly limit, this is a really impressive engine.

UnsungHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UnsungHero

I would buy a ds just for this game...seriously.. I am big PSO and PSU fan..I need PS0 in my life

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

The only thing Im worried about is if its gonna be a Phantasy star in the vein of 1-5 i believe. Instead of in the vein of the crap stand alone MMO that was O and U.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gizmo

This is an MMO?

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BrickRoad

I'm a huge fan of the PSO series. I was going to get PSU Portable, but having played PSU Aoti to death I really didn't feel like replaying the same game on a smaller scale. This however does interest me, as the new levels look interesting, and it seems to have the improved gameplay of PSU fused with PSO. A new DS... PS0.... Chrono Trigger. Hmm, a shopping list for 2009 is starting to form.

UnsungHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By UnsungHero
    Linkyshinks said:
    "UnsungHero said:
    "I would buy a ds just for this game...seriously.. I am big PSO and PSU fan..I need PS0 in my life"

I take it from your avatar you were raised on the Dreamcast game also?"

Yup.....How i miss it sooo
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

There are rumours of a demo coming out Japan, well a Beta, on DSi Ware. I hope the Beta is not restricted to Japan only, but I guess it will be.

This game will be enhanced for DSi, the April 1st Update advert in Japan stated so. I actually think it may be a DSi exclusive. but I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#13  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Did you say Sonic Team? *vomits*

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By oldschool
    Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    "Did you say Sonic Team? *vomits*"
    It's okay, it's only Sonic they screw up.
    BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BrickRoad

I can't see it being a Beta, as the game has been out now for about 4 months in Japan. I heard it's a demo of the first level.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks

I'm tempted to just buy a import copy now, screw waiting for it to arrive officially, It seems there are loads of people in the West I could hook up with and play with easily. You only have to look at the numerous videos on Youtube to see how true that is.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pazy
    @Linkyshinks said:
    "  I'm tempted to just buy a import copy now, screw waiting for it to arrive officially, It seems there are loads of people in the West I could hook up with and play with easily. You only have to look at the numerous videos on Youtube to see how true that is. "

Ive had a play at it a while ago. Though it took me a while to figure how to get into the actual gameplay (the quest system in the town is all in japanese of course) it was easy enough to play without knowing japanese (though previous PSO/U/P knowledge is recommened). I stopped playing it before I really got into it, the camera was really annoying (it was almost like the old resident evil set camera thing mixed with a vertical scroller) and the movement and combat felt slited and slow. I went back to PSP on PSP to get my Phantasy Star fix (well that and the original emulated on DS). 

If you have a flash card if suggest giving the game a try before you import it, if its too slow to really enjoy it wouldent really be worth the import. 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Pazy said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    "  I'm tempted to just buy a import copy now, screw waiting for it to arrive officially, It seems there are loads of people in the West I could hook up with and play with easily. You only have to look at the numerous videos on Youtube to see how true that is. "

Ive had a play at it a while ago. Though it took me a while to figure how to get into the actual gameplay (the quest system in the town is all in japanese of course) it was easy enough to play without knowing japanese (though previous PSO/U/P knowledge is recommened). I stopped playing it before I really got into it, the camera was really annoying (it was almost like the old resident evil set camera thing mixed with a vertical scroller) and the movement and combat felt slited and slow. I went back to PSP on PSP to get my Phantasy Star fix (well that and the original emulated on DS). 

If you have a flash card if suggest giving the game a try before you import it, if its too slow to really enjoy it wouldent really be worth the import. 

"

Thanks for the insight.

I do actually have ample experience having been playing since the DC game. That is a shame... I think I will just download it now.

Thanks again ;)

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Marzy

I played the Japanese version about month back and I really enjoyed it. I managed to work my way through quite a bit of it, even though it was in Japanese. I'm hoping it will get brought over here.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " The only thing Im worried about is if its gonna be a Phantasy star in the vein of 1-5 i believe. Instead of in the vein of the crap stand alone MMO that was O and U. "
    i guess they were crap? I really enjoyed PSO and PSU, especially for the strong incentive of having a Party when doing the missions.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I just didn't like the online/fake online phantasy stars they pretty much have little to do with the old games in terms of gameplay or theme, id like them to update those games or release new games in that themeline.
    I actually found some of the phantasy star early games to rival nes,snes final fantasy games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.