Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pillars of Eternity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 26, 2015

Pillars of Eternity is Obsidian Entertainment's isometric, party-based RPG set in the new fantasy world of Eora.

Kickstarter related: GOG selling Infinity Engine games

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By oraknabo

I just noticed this today. Maybe it's just a coincidence, because it's all part of their D&D sales series, but GOG.com has put nearly every game mentioned in the Project Eternity video (except Arcanum & the Fallouts, I think) up for sale.

In the wake of the Project Eternity getting a million dollars in a single day, I think there are a lot of people out there thinking about these titles and interested parties who never played most of them who want to see what all the excitement is about.

This was either a really smart move on their part or an incredibly lucky coincidence. Either way, I suspect they'll sell a lot of games this week.

BALDUR'S GATE 2 COMPLETE

BALDUR'S GATE: THE ORIGINAL SAGA

ICEWIND DALE 2 COMPLETE

ICEWIND DALE COMPLETE

PLANESCAPE: TORMENT

TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL, THE

Just in case anyone thinks this is spam, I have zero affiliation with GOG.com or Obsidian other than buying and liking games from both.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By AndrewB

As they point out in another article on their site, this was the day that Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition was supposed to be launched. I'm sure they wanted to get Baldur's Gate out there and sell it to as many people as possible before what some might see as the new "definitive version" is out. That article is a novice guide to installing all of the necessary mods to make Baldur's Gate a more modern game (running at 640x480 suuuuucks).

This group of games often goes on sale altogether, as well. When they do a D&D sale, they include every officially licensed D&D game they have, including the non-Infinity Engine games that are kind of duds.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I think it's time for me to try those priceless timeless PC titles that used to scare me as a child. I'm going to buy Baldur's Gate! Or should I buy Planescape?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AndrewB

@AhmadMetallic said:

I think it's time for me to try those priceless timeless PC titles that used to scare me as a child. I'm going to buy Baldur's Gate! Or should I buy Planescape?

Baldur's Gate! Or Both! If only one, then I suggest Baldur's Gate and eventually its sequel and expansion. Just make sure to at LEAST use the resolution hacker or, as I said, be doomed to 640x480 and not be able to enjoy the fantastic art style.

Unless, of course, you want to wait for the "Enhanced Edition," and probably not have to deal with that. Then I'd suggest Planescape, which has probably no chance of being updated.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oraknabo

@AhmadMetallic: It depends on what you like. I prefer Planescape as a more original story, but if you're really into traditional fantasy & D&D, you might like BG better.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AndrewB

@oraknabo said:

@AhmadMetallic: It depends on what you like. I prefer Planescape as a more original story, but if you're really into traditional fantasy & D&D, you might like BG better.

It also depends on how much Kevin Michael Richardson and David Warner you're into. For me, the answer is as much as possible. That's why I choose the Baldur's Gate series.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@AhmadMetallic said:

Both! Though, Baldur's Gate requires some modding to be approachable, whereas with Planescape all you need is a widescreen mod and a fixpack (and a UI mod that works with widescreen). You're probably good steering away from most of the other games in the promo. Icewind Dale and its sequel are pretty much all combat all the time, as is Temple of Elemental Evil. Neverwinter Nights was always more about the community made modules and multiplayer, and Demon Stone and Dragonshard are apparently just crummy character action game and RTS respectively.

Also I have a copy of Temple of Elemental Evil if anyone wants it. Just a heads up.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@oraknabo said:

I'm gonna buy both, but let's just say....I wanna play the "easier" one first, gameplay/UI-wise. Which one would that be?

@AndrewB: Why and when is there going to be a Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition? o.O

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AndrewB

@AhmadMetallic: I think Planescape is the easier of the two (Baldur's Gate is brutally difficult at times), but I haven't actually played a whole lot of it.

Also, the Enhanced Edition is being developed by Overhaul Games/Beamdog as a port/update of the original game, with some new original content (new kind of throwaway arena fighting area and a couple of new NPCs) and, probably more importantly, some of the gameplay improvements, updated systems, and classes/skills from Baldur's Gate 2.

No idea how it will turn out, but I'd almost be tempted to tell you to try that if this is your first experience with the game, though you can get a lot of that enhancement by owning Baldur's Gate 2 and using a mod that ports the original game to the new engine. Again, here it totally depends on if you want the "core" experience, if you're comfortable installing mods (most of those installs are fairly straightforward with a little readme file glances), or if you want to wait and see how the Enhanced Edition turns out. Seems like it'll be okay, but as someone who grew up with the original versions of the game, some of the stuff they're doing with it rubs me the wrong way.

Oh, also, it was just delayed 'till November. The 30th, to be exact.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By gike987

@AndrewB said:

As they point out in another article on their site, this was the day that Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition was supposed to be launched. I'm sure they wanted to get Baldur's Gate out there and sell it to as many people as possible before what some might see as the new "definitive version" is out. That article is a novice guide to installing all of the necessary mods to make Baldur's Gate a more modern game (running at 640x480 suuuuucks).

This group of games often goes on sale altogether, as well. When they do a D&D sale, they include every officially licensed D&D game they have, including the non-Infinity Engine games that are kind of duds.

Don't forget the Planescape: Torment mod guide.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

GOG confirmed today that they will be offering DRM-free codes through their service for anyone who pitches in towards the Kickstarter for Project Eternity.

Fucking. Sweet.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oraknabo

I just missed the last chance at the $20 deal the other day, but I think I'm still going to go for the $25 even though they have more money than they need. It's a tough decision--get a good deal now and then wait a long time or just get it at full price when it's done.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By xxNBxx

new 2.3mil stretch goals. Hope they get it. The additions sound like they will add a lot of replayability to the game.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Ben_H

I backed Project Eternity on day 1 and then proceeded to buy all the Icewind Dales, and the Baldurs Gate games. I have no time to play any of them. Haha worth it anyway. I just WINEd Icewind Dale on my Mac so I can play it during my break at school when I have readings to do.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By xxNBxx

Not much more to go to get the next goal.

The next stretch goal at $2.2 million adds a new region, faction, and companion along with French, German, and Spanish translations.

I would imagine that a lot of Europeans would like to get this goal met.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.