Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pix'n Love Rush

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Jun 16, 2010

iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad 2D platform game. Retro glowing pixel style. 125 levels.

From iOS to PSN, What's Lost in Translation for Pix'n Love Rush

eonbluepatient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By eonbluepatient

In theory, Sanuka Games' port of the iPhone hit Pix'n Love Rush is pretty much a straight translation with the addition of the "On/Off Rush" mode. However, there are many subtleties that make it a different game in subtle ways. Before I launch into this, it's important to note that I've only played this version of the game on my PS3, and don't own a PSP - all comments apply to the game as played on the PS3; also, all comments to the iOS are based on performance of the game on iPhone 4.

First, the controls feel a tiny bit muddy, as if there is a very small amount of control lag which, at times, translates into frustrating falls or mistimed jumps. I admit, the part of the game I always enjoyed the most was the 5 minute rush mode, and after a while, I was able to get used to it, but there is definitely a bit of a personal calibration period that's necessary - the iOS version just felt sharper.

Second, if you ever encountered a level in the iOS version where you were struggling to fall between two platforms (I know I definitely had this problem on a few of the downward scrolling levels,) it's actually much worse in this version. I don't know why, but the interaction of Pixel the Cat with the edge of platforms in this version is just bizarre. There's a tiny period where the player is able to reverse course and walk back on a platform after deciding to walk off. Perhaps this is what Sanuka was able to do considering the iOS game had several platforms that you could walk from one to another if there was only one space between them? Anyways, long story short, this can cause the PSN version of the game to be extremely frustrating.

Third, the menus are very clunky and transitions take too long. Switching from any one item to another takes way longer than necessary. I know I'm reviewing the game on the PS3, but I would think the PSP would have enough processing power to compute a faster menu. Additionally, this spills over into cumbersome loading screens which significantly bog down the game - iOS users will notice this almost immediately. In the iOS version, as soon as a game mode is selected, the game begins within about two seconds, but in the PSN version, it took a full 8 seconds to load a 5 minute rush game including menu fade-outs, a loading screen, a fade-in, and bringing the level images together from the two sides. Cursed rush mode on iOS loads within a second of pressing the button whereas the PSN version take 6 plus seconds. These may not seem like a substantial gap, but, in a game designed for a quick, addictive replay, the PSN version just takes too long.

Finally, the controls feel jumpy at times. In a game like this that demands pixel perfect jumps to snag coins, defeat bats, and earn multipliers, timing is key. That timing seemed hindered by the double jump Pixel would do from one press of the x button. I lost a few games of cursed rush to this after first downloading the game, and have yet to seriously try it again as a result.

At the end of the day, the game is still fundamentally the same, which means it's going to provide you with a very addictive classical platforming game which has echoes of Pac-Man CE DX. The visuals and the levels are the same on both versions. The PSN version is ok, but the iOS version, at this point (and even without the new game mode, which undoubtedly will make its way to iOS) is vastly superior for pick up, put down casual gaming.

eonbluepatient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By eonbluepatient

In theory, Sanuka Games' port of the iPhone hit Pix'n Love Rush is pretty much a straight translation with the addition of the "On/Off Rush" mode. However, there are many subtleties that make it a different game in subtle ways. Before I launch into this, it's important to note that I've only played this version of the game on my PS3, and don't own a PSP - all comments apply to the game as played on the PS3; also, all comments to the iOS are based on performance of the game on iPhone 4.

First, the controls feel a tiny bit muddy, as if there is a very small amount of control lag which, at times, translates into frustrating falls or mistimed jumps. I admit, the part of the game I always enjoyed the most was the 5 minute rush mode, and after a while, I was able to get used to it, but there is definitely a bit of a personal calibration period that's necessary - the iOS version just felt sharper.

Second, if you ever encountered a level in the iOS version where you were struggling to fall between two platforms (I know I definitely had this problem on a few of the downward scrolling levels,) it's actually much worse in this version. I don't know why, but the interaction of Pixel the Cat with the edge of platforms in this version is just bizarre. There's a tiny period where the player is able to reverse course and walk back on a platform after deciding to walk off. Perhaps this is what Sanuka was able to do considering the iOS game had several platforms that you could walk from one to another if there was only one space between them? Anyways, long story short, this can cause the PSN version of the game to be extremely frustrating.

Third, the menus are very clunky and transitions take too long. Switching from any one item to another takes way longer than necessary. I know I'm reviewing the game on the PS3, but I would think the PSP would have enough processing power to compute a faster menu. Additionally, this spills over into cumbersome loading screens which significantly bog down the game - iOS users will notice this almost immediately. In the iOS version, as soon as a game mode is selected, the game begins within about two seconds, but in the PSN version, it took a full 8 seconds to load a 5 minute rush game including menu fade-outs, a loading screen, a fade-in, and bringing the level images together from the two sides. Cursed rush mode on iOS loads within a second of pressing the button whereas the PSN version take 6 plus seconds. These may not seem like a substantial gap, but, in a game designed for a quick, addictive replay, the PSN version just takes too long.

Finally, the controls feel jumpy at times. In a game like this that demands pixel perfect jumps to snag coins, defeat bats, and earn multipliers, timing is key. That timing seemed hindered by the double jump Pixel would do from one press of the x button. I lost a few games of cursed rush to this after first downloading the game, and have yet to seriously try it again as a result.

At the end of the day, the game is still fundamentally the same, which means it's going to provide you with a very addictive classical platforming game which has echoes of Pac-Man CE DX. The visuals and the levels are the same on both versions. The PSN version is ok, but the iOS version, at this point (and even without the new game mode, which undoubtedly will make its way to iOS) is vastly superior for pick up, put down casual gaming.

litrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By litrock

I agree with all of these.  It's kind of jank all across the board, which is weird as there should really be no excuse for all of that. The one thing that did make the transition was the audio/visual experience. That game looks god-damn AMAZING on a big TV cranked loud. Sadly, the play doesn't quite hold up, but ... 

Hard to argue with free (for me and other PS+ subscribers).

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By buft

is this available on xbox live indy games under the name Arkedo series 3 -  pixel? its one of the games i've been looking at for a while now.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Skald
    @buft said:
    " is this available on xbox live indy games under the name Arkedo series 3 -  pixel? its one of the games i've been looking at for a while now. "
    The two games are fairly different, but they do feature the same cat.
    Binarynova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Binarynova

Actually, my only issue with the game seems to be one you didn't mention. The resolution change from iOS to PSP means that levels don't fit vertically on your screen, so when you jump the screen has to scroll up to follow you. That and the fact that my iOS version has received even more updates and additions.

I'd love to see this make a comeback (at the right resolution with all the updates) on the PS Vita though. It's a fun game, and its only downfall on iOS is that Apple is allergic to buttons.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.