Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlanetSide 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

PlanetSide 2 is the sequel to the 2003 MMOFPS PlanetSide from Sony Online Entertainment which remains one of the most notable and successful games in the genre.

Planetside 2 - Looking grim...

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Rohok

... For fans of the original Planetside.

So apparently there's going to be killcams, one-man battle tanks, and pre-defined classes and class loadouts. Sounds nothing like Planetside to me.

Anyone else got this gut wrenching feeling in their stomach that Planetside 2 won't be the Planetside we knew and loved? It's starting to sound more and more like Battlefield and COD to me with this whole class unlock and vehicle unlocking crap concept. Not to mention a killcam. What new thing could a killcam POSSIBLY bring to the playing field that would be in any way positive and enjoyable?

God it's just disgusting what we've seen so far. Here's to hoping that for the first time in gaming and beta history the entire game is revamped, changed, and made into what it was supposed to be from the start. I always hold out hope that by some miracle the devs decide to go back on their Call of Duty gaming tendencies and give us a truly team-based, massive scale MMO shooter that we had with Planetside 1. Oh well, we'll always have ArmA 3 and Carrier Command to look forward to if SOE fucks this one up again.

I can provide some sources for some of my accusations if you'd all like, otherwise, check the videos in the GDC thread and make some judgements on your own.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

Actually, some linked vids would probably not hurt.

My initial opinion of your post is to dismiss you as someone who will never enjoy anything new ever again but I haven't seen the GCD vids yet so who knows?

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By UlquioKani

@Rohok said:

So apparently there's going to be killcams, one-man battle tanks, and pre-defined classes and class loadouts.

These don't seem so bad. The logic behind Kill cams make sense. I can understand why you might have a problem with the pre defined classes though. What did Planetside 1 have instead?

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rohok

Planetside 1 did not have a class system. You instead earned certification points as you gained more battle rank to be spent on certifications such as assault rifles, heavy weapons, rocket launchers, snipers, and various vehicles. If you wanted, you could certify in a stealth suit and a small, one manned light vehicle and use it to sneak into enemy territory and disrupt defenses before the main force got there. Or you could cert into medium armor and aircraft, or medium armor, aircraft, tanks, and other vehicles. It just depended on how many certification points you had. There was no concept of classes or anything, just certs, and it all depended on what "trees" you certified in. It was not linear progression to the point where you needed to cert into a specific class to unlock the next few things. Of course, in order to get the high-powered, anti material sniper rifle you first needed to certify with the smaller rifle, but that was different.

As for vehicles, all main battle tanks required at LEAST two people to operate. You had a driver and a gunner. This took a lot of communication and willingness to work as a team to be able to operate the vehicle. You couldn't just Battlefield 2 into a tank, drive up, kill some stuff by yourself and get points. You had to wait to get yourself a gunner before you set out- and most of the time, you had to join an armor column to have a chance of surviving air attack or ambush.

And killcams have no place being in a game like this. With killcams, you won't be able to sit still or use stealth or the element of surprise. The moment you kill somebody they'll know where you are and what direction you are headed in. This forces an ultra-fast paced call of duty gameplay that has no business being in a video game like Planetside, where REAL strategy and REAL squad tactics are required to take down an installation or capture a continent.

Some evidence to support my claims:

This is a statement by Brewko on the official forums in response to a thread expressing the same concern that I have on solo MBTs. Yes, you can still have a gunner who will operate the anti-aircraft gun mounted on top. Is it necessary? Not one bit. The problem with this is that it ALLOWS people to solo in tanks, which is a huge detriment to the spirit of the game, which is teamwork. Either learn to work as a team or go home, because nobody can fight a war solo. Source is here if you want to put it into context: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps/posts/list.m?topic_id=88000028342

This pretty much sums up how the driver and gunner will need to work together to balance out the tank. Now that the driver controls the main gun he's going to need to also have a gunner if he expects to survive for more than just one attack.

In PS2 the gunner role will be more of a defensive role than anything else; and having a dedicated gunner whose primary role is to fend off attackers is going to be critical in PS2. The vehicle owner will also be able to select which type of weapon he wants to give his gunner; so if there are a lot of aircrafts in the skies he could select a flak cannon, or select a rocket launcher to find off enemy tanks in the area. In PS2 if the driver see's an enemy he can immediately go in pursuit of his target without having to constantly tell somebody else where to drive so that he can line up his shot.

We realize that some players are accustom to having the passenger control the main gun which is great for a game like PlanetSide 1, but in PlanetSide 2 there's a skill system in place where you may need to unlock that gunner slot, or even unlock additional weapons for your tank. At this point my suggestion would be wait until beta launches and then give the tanks a try and see how you like them. At that point we'll have the PS2 forums up so you can always give us feedback based on actual experiences you've had from using the tanks.

The GDC videos are located here: http://www.giantbomb.com/planetside-2/61-29025/planetside-2-gdc-demo/35-538435/#8

Video three shows the tanks in the game. You can clearly see that he's both gunning and driving when he makes the comment about almost falling off the cliff. To further solidify my concerns, he makes this ridiculous, obvious comparison to Battlefield 3. He says "Also battlefield 3 has tanks", like he's obviously trying to draw connections between the two games to attract certain ADHD gaming crowds.

This is proof of the class system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t3c-XQgc1QE

It's about 40 seconds in, you can see he's got all the classes there with the items. They haven't shown whether or not there's custom classes or anything yet, so like I said, I'm still holding out hope for that. But as it stands, this game is heading toward more adrenaline based, ADHD COD combat and away from the highly tactical, strategic game that was Planetside 1. Things rarely change in games from initial alpha/beta footage to release, that's what's got me so worried. Speculation is rarely wrong when it comes to games like these, at least in my own first hand experience. Obviously this main battle tank bullshit is here to stay, and that's got me upset to begin with. Believe it or not that kind of vehicle interaction and coop was very essential to what Planetside 1 was. Getting your friend on voice and two-manning a Vanu battle tank, trying to maneuver away from tank shots and missile barrages while your friend keeps up the fire on an enemy vehicle nearby, you both are yelling into the mic orders for each other to carry out and there's plenty of fun and cooperation to be had.

It's just unnecessary for them to change some of these things. Completely unnecessary. They're fixing things that weren't broken. A lot of people were angry about the battlemechs they added in Planetside 1 because of the solo-minded COD player mentality the battlemechs had, and here they go, completely eliminating any REAL need to work as a team. Sure, the option is there, but the option to work by yourself should never be present in a video game like this. It defeats the purpose.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By emem

I never played Planetside, but what I've seen of Planetside 2 looks really impressive and more than promising to me. I will definitely give it a try.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

Just watching the trailer they released quite a while ago you could tell it was going to be a more "modern" FPS. It happens a lot, you go in expecting it to just be a graphically updated version of the game you love, and end up getting something entirely different or a bastardization. Like 1.6 compared to CS:S, BF2 compared to BF3, W:ET compared to Brink, etc etc. Rarely can a game deemed perfect or ideal in your mind be improved. The key is to just keep playing the old game and not stress over how a developer debased their series.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#7  Edited By Kidavenger

I really don't know how anyone could have faith in SOE to make a worthwhile game given their track history.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By ToxicFruit

It looks really good imo

But i have never played planetside 1 so i cant really have an opinion on if they are ruining the franchise

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

At first I was going to say that kill cams are NP, but then I remembered that my favorite thing to do was find really obscure areas of the battlefield to hide myself while sniping everyone. A kill cam would shit all over that.

One thing I will say is that the license system of Planetside 1 made it really hard to build a specific sort of character until you put in a significant number of hours. I'll hold out hope that the system they implement in Planetside 2 will allow for a significant level of customization but also make levels 1-10 actually fun.

seannao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By seannao

It's disappointing, but I suppose you'd have to think about how they're going to design the new game and consider ways to circumvent it since you'll still have to work within their rules. I'd like to think, at least from their talks on how they're trying to balance the DPS output of infantry weapons within certain ranges, that the most powerful things you can employ other than outnumbering the enemies would be to use detection powers and survivability upgrades to alter the amount of damage it takes to inflict.. in essence, doing stuff that throws off the supposedly equalized weapon balance in play.

I'm with the OP on being upset on the game direction though. It's the difference between BF2 and Project Reality(which has moved on to ARMA for the most part..)

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StarvingGamer said:

At first I was going to say that kill cams are NP, but then I remembered that my favorite thing to do was find really obscure areas of the battlefield to hide myself while sniping everyone. A kill cam would shit all over that.

One thing I will say is that the license system of Planetside 1 made it really hard to build a specific sort of character until you put in a significant number of hours. I'll hold out hope that the system they implement in Planetside 2 will allow for a significant level of customization but also make levels 1-10 actually fun.

Being a free game now, I don't see it changing very much unless you plan on investing real cash. Hopefully not though.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By scarace360

Well fuck it im done with planetside 2 now.

John26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By John26

I made a account on this site just to explain to all of you now 'lost hope' players of why you should not give up hope.

Firstly you have yet to even play the final product. This game might at the latest not even come out to early 2013. Though it's looking for a 2012 date I believe.

Secondly 2003 was 8 years ago. The game was actually start being made in what? 2000. Planetside 1 plan was based off what gamers liked 12 years ago. Believe it or not. A different time.

I will dive into the kill-cam first. It has no affect on air craft(No where to hide in the skies), also none on tanks as everyone and their mothers can see you. If you are hiding in a corner, the person you kill is going to see you shooting at them. So the kill cam has no affect there. When you shoot as a sniper when invisible you appear for a few seconds anyways. Plus the kill cam is such a close up shot no one could ever see exactly where you are if you are sniping unless if you are near a object that stands out. Sure there may be that rare occasion where the killcam works against you, but in the end there will be some many players on the battlefield it's hard to single one person out. Also if you are flanking me or secretly attacking the base killing me is enough for me to know what is going on, the killcam is no way shape or form helps me to figure that out even more. It's common sense. With that logic do you think they should remove respawning in a mile radius of where you died?

Next the classes, they are not really restricted as you think. Picking classes is really just picking armor. Each class can pick from a lot of weapons. And with certs you can kind of mix and match from other classes. The system in PS1 was broken and there were lots of exploits. And you could never really tell what someone had up their sleeve which turned the game into a guessing game.

Finally the single driver. Okay here is a question for you to answer in your head. Ever go to sign up for a free trial for something and at the end they ask for a credit card or some sort of information you just don't feel like giving? What do you do? You usually stop and go do something else and never sign up. For new players and casuals what the single person for driving and gunning does is gives them more freedom and more roles to play in the game, if they went to a tank and discover they can't shoot the game turns into the start of a Halo match where the warthog driver is running the whole team over just because he wants only his friend to get in or worst they hate the idea and stop playing. Also can you imagine dozens of tanks driving around ramming each other, I can. Needing to communicate with that gunner is a big a deal and I am sure many newcomers would not want to go through another barrier of buying a microphone. Adding many roles for something as simple as a tank just adds unnecessary barriers. Tanks will have lots of customization and I am sure your second gunner will have a huge role to play, certainly if a cert is to turn the machine gun into a anti-vehicle weapon, or countermeasure weapon.

I really do not know how these three things mainly and others you have stated take away from Planetside 2 at all. It will still have arguably the best three-way war ever conceived in games. Three factions with such an enriched background and so vastly different. Each factions with a proud and dedicated community behind it which will make the rivalries amazing. There will still be massive battles, squads, and outfits. You are still going to see medics healing people and engineers putting down turrets. You are still going to see invisible people hacking away and you most certainly see Galaxy drops(My fave).

You have to embrace change. Gone are the days of firing from the hip and default weapons, and other things that made Planetside 1 good for its time.

Planetside 2 here we come!

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Vorbis

I hate the idea of one man tanks, I loved driving the Vanguard around and focusing on good positioning rather than getting kills. However a one man Vanguard will be easy Aircraft fodder as the second gunner controls the AA. So while there will be more one man tanks, they won't be much of a threat (think like a 2 man Prowler).

There's already a lot of complaints about the killcam and Higby has said it's still up for discussion. I don't see it staying in, along with the flick knife they seem to be what people dislike the most and SoE are actually listening to feedback.

Class system adds more customization than was possible in the first game, I don't see it as a bad thing as it was pretty broken, every Rexo had Medic and it was stupid. Having class roles will only make squad makeups easier to sort instead of yelling on teamspeak WHO CAN REVIVE?

I think they are looking at BF3 too heavily but that's not going to take away my enjoyment, it still looks amazing and best of all, no BFRs.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Kidavenger said:

I really don't know how anyone could have faith in SOE to make a worthwhile game given their track history.

Normally, here's where I jump in and try to all 'Mr. Nice guy,' but damn, i kind of agree. Although Planetside 2 looks really fun and i'll definitely give it a try, SOE has let me down sooooooooooo much. I wanted to love EQ2, but everything from the animation to the leveling just felt like it could've used another pass...or 12. I got into DCUO for a while, but grinding for the damn raid gear was worse than WoW ever was and don't even get me started on anything costume related. And, of course, there's also SWG, but...yeah...we all know how that went. While I did like some of the things that came after the NGE, it had the same problems EQ2 went on to have where everything just felt like someone sat down and said, "we'll come back to this and fix it later on," but obviously never did.

JuggaloAcidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By JuggaloAcidman

I think it looks awesome! Even if it's different... It still looks fun!

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Leptok

For me all of that doesn't matter as much as how in the first game everything felt pointless. You spend a day rolling across the map and go to bed, waking up to find that overnight it had all been captured back.

Have they adressed that at all? I hope they do something like if a point is capped, there is limited time to take it back and then it gets locked for a while.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Grimhild

@Leptok said:

For me all of that doesn't matter as much as how in the first game everything felt pointless. You spend a day rolling across the map and go to bed, waking up to find that overnight it had all been captured back. Have they adressed that at all? I hope they do something like if a point is capped, there is limited time to take it back and then it gets locked for a while.

That's actually the reason I can't get into most multiplayer FPS games and why I loved the first Planetside. In MW3/BF3 each match is basically just 32 players doing their own individual xp grind. Once the match is over, nothing has changed in the overall scheme of things except you have some new dog tags that nobody really cares about or an attachment for a weapon you won't use.

*old lady voice* Back in the old days of Planetside...

There would be days or almost a week on the Emerald server where continents were being contested over, and then there was the huge weekend pushes to reclaim or gain territory. As far as the OP's topic is concerned, the proposed tweaks to game play don't really bother me too much. Except for the kill cam since, as StarvingGamer pointed out, it kind of craps all over some stealth aspects of the game.

For me it basically boils down to:

100+ vs 100+(persistent territories) > Minor game mechanic tweaking.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Beaudacious

Yes its not PlanetSide 1, but after watching that 30 minute GDC presentation how can you not be excited for this game?

The Art Style looks fantastic, the scope from infantry to vehicle seems great, uber large scale battles are still there, territory captures are still as important as ever. Classes have been tweaked to be more approachable by all, and familiar to this generation of fps gamers. But i don't see anything limiting someone with a desire to play a certain way.

Its still too early to tell, but i'd say keep your chin up. What i'd really be worried about is the business model.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Leptok
    @Grimhild

Yeah, but those games are aiming for different things.

I can't remember was there ever a "win" state for planetside? They should find a way to let a aide win and then find a way to reward that. Everyone who was around for the win gets an unlockable or something for that faction.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic

This is a very interesting thread and I enjoyed reading all the posts in it. 

Sadly I've never played Planetside and I have no idea what it was like, but from your posts everybody I can see that it was a truly revolutionary teamwork-based MMO FPS that took everything Battlefield 1942 introduced and confidently amplified it into a much grander experience. 
    I am all for these games that challenge me, make me think, force me to seek my teammates and work with them, and come out on top after a long fruitful series of teamwork-driven actions against the enemy. I've actually started to grow interest in Planetside 2 after I realized that Battlefield 3 is a lost cause to the casual Modern Warfare target audience. 

Like I said, I have not played the first game and I don't know how drastic these changes are, but with the reasonable arguments  @John26: provided and the fact that what you consider shameful dumbing down are things that are the LEAST of my "dumb contemporary FPS designs" worries, I'll still give this game a chance. 

However it always saddens me when a franchise moves on from the things that made the original games so memorable, and therefore I feel your pain  @Rohok: .. I hope Planetside 2 to you won't destroy that competitive teamplay-driven joy you anticipated the way Battlefield 3 did to me.

doomocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By doomocrat

I'm worried about the F2P model ruining PS's fantastic cert system, but the new features don't look so bad. One man MBT's are a disappointment, but that will probably scale out to the larger vehicles.

The Magrider cannon being on the bottom hull gives me every tingly "OMG HIGBY NC LOVER" feeling possible though. But as of now, we know most of our concerns are unfounded, right?

k4el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By k4el

@Rohok said:

So apparently there's going to be killcams, one-man battle tanks, and pre-defined classes and class loadouts. Sounds nothing like Planetside to me.

Anyone else got this gut wrenching feeling in their stomach that Planetside 2 won't be the Planetside we knew and loved? It's starting to sound more and more like Battlefield and COD to me with this whole class unlock and vehicle unlocking crap concept. Not to mention a killcam. What new thing could a killcam POSSIBLY bring to the playing field that would be in any way positive and enjoyable?

God it's just disgusting what we've seen so far. Here's to hoping that for the first time in gaming and beta history the entire game is revamped, changed, and made into what it was supposed to be from the start. I always hold out hope that by some miracle the devs decide to go back on their Call of Duty gaming tendencies and give us a truly team-based, massive scale MMO shooter that we had with Planetside 1. Oh well, we'll always have ArmA 3 and Carrier Command to look forward to if SOE fucks this one up again.

I can provide some sources for some of my accusations if you'd all like, otherwise, check the videos in the GDC thread and make some judgements on your own.

Oh no modern shooter design concepts in a modern version of Planetside.

You're right though, I'm worried they're trying to make a modern warfare clone too. 100s of players on huge persistent maps? Pffffffffffff Infinity ward did it, copy cats. Leveling system that works on and off line? MW3 had that right?

We should definitely make speculative posts and be as negative as possible.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rohok

@k4el said:

@Rohok said:

Oh no modern shooter design concepts in a modern version of Planetside.

You're right though, I'm worried they're trying to make a modern warfare clone too. 100s of players on huge persistent maps? Pffffffffffff Infinity ward did it, copy cats. Leveling system that works on and off line? MW3 had that right?

We should definitely make speculative posts and be as negative as possible.

Except I'm right.

Kexpakki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kexpakki

The class system is ok, its just gives people a playable stating set they can play with before they cert into something. and you can get all the certs on a single character so you don't have to switch out for a different role, you just have to select another loadout.

and yeah the more powerful gun should be given to the gunner on a tank and let the driver control the crappy gun(apart from the magrider where the gunner has to control the main gun because it doesn't rotate)

Anomareh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Anomareh

It's not Planetside.

Planetside was fucking awesome.

This is a CoD/BF MMO made by SOE that has flop written all over it. The people that want to play CoD/BF are just gonna play CoD/BF, not some F2P knockoff.

No idea why they're calling it Planetside as it has nothing in common with Planetside except the generic sci-fi universe I guess? (Which who remembers or gives a shit about ir?) Calling it Planetside only serves to piss off fans of the original as the name doesn't really mean shit anymore. Guess SOE just likes trolling it's customers though.

I was disappointed at first, but then I remembered it's SOE and no fucks were given.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Subjugation

Game looks good to me.

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Erk_Forever

The real question for the detractors/butt-hurt: why on earth would anyone expect the same thing that didn't before to work this time? Stop whining. I want to play an MMOFPS.

Feikken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Feikken

Go play Planetside 1 if you don't like the changes

I'm going to play the shit out of PS2 with all of my old PS1 pals

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Erk_Forever

@Feikken: I want to flag you; for awesome. Too bad that isn't a thing.

Anomareh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Anomareh

@Erk_Forever: They're not expecting the same game. They're expecting a sequel that's at the least slightly related to the original. The only thing PS2 has in common with PS1 so far is the generic ass sci-fi universe. It'd be like calling the next ArmA game BF4.

People would proceed to give less fucks if this game was called Generic Ass Sci-Fi MMOFPS 3000 rather than Planetside 2. You call it Planetside and people expect it to have some semblance of Planetside.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@Anomareh: Have you even watched the livestream from E3?

Sure, there's classes. That's it. Killcam etc is all gone. And to me, it sure as fuck looks like a huge, massive scale, MMOFPS with teamplay as the absolutely crucial ingredient for victory. I only played 20 hours or so of PS1, but my take from the cert system was that it wasn't liked at all..? I don't mind unlocks anyway.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Regarding F2P by the way, I think they said over a hundred times during E3 streams that it is simply customization and short term boosts. You can't buy certs/unlocks or whatever.

By the way, I don't know what y'all are basing linear progression on. Links pls?

Anomareh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Anomareh

@RIDEBIRD: So Battlefield and Call of Duty are really apart of the same franchise because they both have urban maps?

If I was shown that livestream with zero context, I would have guessed it was a sequel to Battlefield 2142 or something. I get no whiffs of Planetside.

I don't really care that this game is being made. I don't know if it'll be bad or good. I don't even think a spiritual successor to PS1 would even be successful in this day and age or if I'd even want to play it. I just have absolutely no idea why it's being called Planetside 2. The name carries zero weight and it's obviously not a Planetside game.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@Anomareh: ?

You have still not stated any reasons what so ever why this is not Planetside, just said that it it's not. I don't get it. Looks like a very spiffed up modern version of Planetside to me. You have to factor in that teamplay is not exactly that big of a deal when it's being played in a booth, but I saw several gal drops and stuff like that. It totally reminds me of my short period with that game because there's simply not been any game like that since.

Anomareh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Anomareh

@RIDEBIRD: So you need me to reiterate everything that's been said in this thread already? (specifically 's posts)

Think I'll take a pass on that.

It looks like a total conversion sci-fi mod for BF3 to me.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@Anomareh: I can see why solo tanks is a worrying factor for y'all, but it really is very very very very very far from BF at all. It's a persistent world with tons more players. That's the whole thing about the original game and PS2, and it's still unique and fantastic, cert system be damned.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rohok

@RIDEBIRD said:

@Anomareh: I can see why solo tanks is a worrying factor for y'all, but it really is very very very very very far from BF at all. It's a persistent world with tons more players. That's the whole thing about the original game and PS2, and it's still unique and fantastic, cert system be damned.

Solo tanks bother me because it takes the teamwork factor out of Planetside 2 armor battles. The idea of solo-controling a tank is just a ridiculous attempt to satiate the thirsts of ADHD boys who don't like to rely on a teammate to pin shots on enemy armor. In real life it takes more than one person to operate an MBT. I've really stopped caring about the game as I have no need nor desire to play it since I made the original post, I play ArmA 2 and will be buying ArmA 3, so I can get my teamwork tanks there, and leave Planetside 2 to people who actually enjoy that type of game.

The game may appeal to non-Planetside fans, but that's exactly why it's disappointing. Though I doubt anyone who played Planetside or any other SOE game was expecting much from them anyway. Planetside 1's cert system was awesome, and everyone who played it loved it. There are no reasons not to. It's just funny that people are okay with less freedom and less customization, and in some cases, argue for it- just like in this thread. That baffles me.

But regardless, Planetside is dead to me. I'm sure many people will be suckered into playing the same ol' game time and time again, but not me.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@Rohok: It's cause we want it to be good, basically. I have no reason to believe it wont. Very glad I wasn't a Planetside fan then, but I've never ever been the type of player that gets mad overy my fav game getting mainstreamed or whatever. Except for Dead Space 3, but that looks like complete shit.

Apparently some type of cert system is in though, it is not straight unlocks at all. I have no idea how it compares to the original though

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Spoonman671

This thread makes me want to kill myself.

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Erk_Forever

@Anomareh: Minus the weapons, vehicles, over-all concept of a three way persistent war, capturing of bases and resources use; you're right, it has no semblance of Planetside because there are solo tanks and ADS. The real question I have is what would a REAL sequel to Planetside have?

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By shirogane

May i point out that since the initial post a lot of stuff in the game has been changed, and that the game is still in Alpha? You're already freaking out like an idiot when the game is in alpha, hell back when you made your initial post a majoirty of the game wasn't even working properly.

Snipefrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Snipefrag

Its not as doom and gloom as you portrait, give it a try when it comes out. I think you will be surprised.

Anomareh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Anomareh

@Erk_Forever: So Battlefield and Call of Duty REALLY are apart of the same franchise. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

@Shirogane: What big budget games (let alone MMOs) from the last decade have changed drastically from alpha? Bet you only need 1 hand to count them.

@Snipefrag: There is no doom and gloom here friend. Just a bunch of people telling other people what they should like when those people really have no opinion of the game besides the fact that it's not a Planetside game that happens to be called Planetside.

Pretty sure the people that are upset are only upset because they're calling this game Planetside. Anyone who was a fan of the original and played it for any amount of time is likely smart enough to know that a spiritual successor to Planetside just wouldn't work now-a-days. Not to mention, even if it did get made, no one would want to play it because they'd be forced trying to explain what teamwork is to a bunch of raging 13 year olds with ADHD. Planetside was big when 13 year olds didn't play PC games.

Pretty sure there's barely anyone that actually gives any fucks about this game past it's name. If this game was called Space Wars in Space 6486 this thread would have never happened.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pinworm45

I'm not surprised at all. It seems like games are constantly moving away from the things I liked about them, and towards more simplicity. But I'm over it now. You'll get to this stage of not caring any more one day, and then just be able to some what enjoy everything in all its mediocrity.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By shirogane

@Anomareh: If we're going to talk MMOs, they change AFTER release. WoW of today is NOTHING like vanilla WoW. Star Wars Galaxies had a major change. And how many big budget games actually show you their alphas? We have no clue what they even looked like in that state.

Also, there are a lot of people who played the original Planetside who are really looking forward to this game.

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Erk_Forever

@Anomareh: I really dig the way you ignored the question. What would a real sequel to planetside be? PS, BF2 was more like call of duty be fore call of duty was like call of duty. You know, then EA came and fucked everything up; their similarities ARE striking nowadays, however, that is for the most part irrelevant to your claims that Planetside 2 is not a real sequel to planetside. So I reiterate, what would a real sequel to planetside consist of. I really want to know. What makes something a sequel?

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#48  Edited By Giantstalker

The original Planetside was a subpar shooter with some interesting MMO mechanics layered on top. Looks like they're addressing the first part while keeping true to the second, I have no issue with this.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Vorbis

@Rohok: The cert system was horrible if you take 5minutes to look at it, everyone had the same HA/Rexo/Medic/Eng certs which bred the perfect lonewolf soldier. Changing it to a class system promotes teamwork as you can no longer do everything on your own.

As for your other issues, kill cam is gone and MBTs can now be modded to allow passenger gunners. SoE is actually listening to vets and are even giving us priority beta access.

Anyway, you forget the thing that made PS1 so great was the community, it's returning for PS2 in droves. Every day old CR5s and Outfits are returning to PS1 in wait for PS2.

Other than the pacing, the only major change is the shooting and that was/still is straight up broken in PS1.

Anomareh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Anomareh

@Shirogane: I know they change after release. You said we should give it a break because it's in alpha, implying that big budget games change significantly between alpha and release.

@Erk_Forever: I ignored the question because you're either a really bad troll, haven't bothered to read the entire thread, or lack the ability to read in the first place. The similarities between CoD and BF are nothing but superficial and differ greatly when it comes to mechanics which is exactly the point of the comparison.

The fact remains, if this game wasn't called Planetside, no fucks would be given. This forum would have 1 thread from someone asking what's up with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.