Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlanetSide 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

PlanetSide 2 is the sequel to the 2003 MMOFPS PlanetSide from Sony Online Entertainment which remains one of the most notable and successful games in the genre.

So are people really paying for this game?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b45500a95f79
    deactivated-5b45500a95f79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The membership perks are so minimal it's hardly worth the price. And paying the equivalent of a full game ($60) provides you just a fraction of the content (only a few guns or pieces of armor for a single soldier). I understand that f2p is a different world in marketing and comparing it to other retail games may be apple & oranges. It just seems that they looked at tf2 and got confused.

It's a great game, but whenever I am on the edge purchasing something I feel the limits of what I can look forward to and enjoy solidify and I start to lose the interest and drive.

bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By bellmont42

Yes... lots of people are dumping money into this. $40 worth of station cash during a double SC sale will get you almost everything you want. They also made a great game and deserved my money.

If you plan on buying weapons then you should probably get them for vehicles as they give you more of an edge compared to what you can buy as infantry.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sungahymn

People always pay for something.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bellmont42: That's a different story, if the entire catalog was half the price of what it is now, I could totally see myself purchasing goods.

@bellmont42: I said it's a great game and they do deserve money.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

It's like every other game with items you can buy with real money: Do you want to spend 4+ hours grinding out the in-game currency just to afford one upgrade, or do you want to spend $20 and get the three or four best upgrades for whatever you want right now.

People are just super impatient and want to have all the best stuff right away. Though I have heard a lot of people in game say that if SOE adds in a respec option that gives you all your certification points you spent back for about $5, they would buy it immediately.

Fat_Irish7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fat_Irish7890

im 35 hrs in and have only earned 559 certs total. this is making me lose interest in the game cause you cant get good unlocks in a reasonable amount of time. then they set their prices in the store way too high so i dont have interest in buying stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The point of both planetside games is the gear. Trying to get it, play with it, and have fun with it. That is completely impossible in this game. Each class has several guns, armor, abilities to collect. A single gun itself, without attachments will require +10 hours of gameplay for a regular player. This 100 creds an hour statistic that SOE is putting out there is bull.

And people who play f2p usually don't have the money to buy full priced games. So by what logic do they follow that makes a couple guns the price of a used game?

I have never understood f2p market logic.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By granderojo

During the first 5 hours of the game I was earning about 25 creds an hour. Then I bought the one month plan and played another 4. Now I'm earning about 75 to 100 creds an hour. I don't mind the trickle really so much as I fucking hate the UI. I just spent 50 creds on getting the health pack for the engineer, not knowing that OH FUCK you can only have 1 utility item. I've already upgraded the ammo pack to the 4th slot, there is no way I'm replacing it with the health pack at this point.

Nothing in the UI after looking at it's menus for a good 15 minutes tells me that I can in the future have more than one utility slot. I can accept a fuck up if it existed in the UI that I am limited to 1 utility slot, but no where does it explicitly say shit.

That's bullshit.

As far as CoD progression system's in multiplayer shooters go, much like Super Monday Night Combat, I am finding myself having far fewer misgivings about Planetside 2's take on it other than the fucking terrible UI.

These games are RPGs now, if you don't like that sorry. It's a much more sustainable business model.

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By confideration

I paid some money to them. I like Planetside.

I'm also over 30, have a family, and limited time to game.

This is a good model, folks

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Kenobi said:

The point of both planetside games is the gear. Trying to get it, play with it, and have fun with it. That is completely impossible in this game. Each class has several guns, armor, abilities to collect. A single gun itself, without attachments will require +10 hours of gameplay for a regular player. This 100 creds an hour statistic that SOE is putting out there is bull.

And people who play f2p usually don't have the money to buy full priced games. So by what logic do they follow that makes a couple guns the price of a used game?

I have never understood f2p market logic.

F2P games can have well-designed business models; you simply already pointed out that this one isn't. The combination of things taking too long to unlock through gameplay and costing too much to unlock with money will simply cause a lot of people to stop playing the game, which is a shame.
    Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Leptok

I had a blast in the Beta, but didn't pay for anything. Kind of fell off for me. Needs more Metagame.

nelson1tom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have payed ~$400 and the purchases are cool, but aren't huge game changers. They mostly just allow for different play-styles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.