Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

HDMI

grainger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By grainger

just out of curiosity is there any difference between th likes of a £10 cable and a £70 cable in terms of picture and sound quality, or is it only noticable on like £3000 t.v's??? just im using a cheap £15 one at the moment and i think the picture is excellent on both games and movies

Buzzer_Beater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Buzzer_Beater
    grainger said:
    "just out of curiosity is there any difference between th likes of a £10 cable and a £70 cable in terms of picture and sound quality, or is it only noticable on like £3000 t.v's??? just im using a cheap £15 one at the moment and i think the picture is excellent on both games and movies
    "
    If it's already excellent there is no need to spend more money for another one.
    grainger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By grainger

yes excellent point i was hoping for a comparison becuase what im getting at is if there is any disernable difference or whether cheaper is just as good, maybe i'll get onto the gadget show about this(Brittish consumer electronics programme)

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Vlademir

They are all the same. A $500 cable will work just as good as a $5 one. They all do the same thing. The more expensive ones may (sometimes but very rarely) be a little better than the cheaper ones but it will be almost impossible to notice the difference.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ltcoljaxson
    Vlademir said:
    "They are all the same. A $500 cable will work just as good as a $5 one. They all do the same thing. The more expensive ones may (sometimes but very rarely) be a little better than the cheaper ones but it will be almost impossible to notice the difference.
    "
    Yep.

The only time it really makes a difference is when the cable gets very long. Otherwise as you said a $500 cable is the same a $5 cable.
    grainger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By grainger

so basically the gold makes sweet FA difference haha

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ltcoljaxson
    grainger said:
    "so basically the gold makes sweet FA difference haha"
    Gold helps the connection a tiny bit. But it is too minimal to notice with HDMI (digital cable)

Gold connectors are more wise for analogue cables.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince

Yes there is a difference. It's hard to notice unless you know what you're looking for, but cables such as monster will never get destroyed physically and will never distort picture. A cheap cable will usually break at the connectors and the wire is much more susceptible to breaking inside the plastic coating.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ltcoljaxson
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Yes there is a difference. It's hard to notice unless you know what you're looking for, but cables such as monster will never get destroyed physically and will never distort picture. A cheap cable will usually break at the connectors and the wire is much more susceptible to breaking inside the plastic coating.
    "
    Yeah.

I used to post that the only difference is durability - but my fingers have grown tired posting about this type of thing.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince
    LtColJaxson said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "Yes there is a difference. It's hard to notice unless you know what you're looking for, but cables such as monster will never get destroyed physically and will never distort picture. A cheap cable will usually break at the connectors and the wire is much more susceptible to breaking inside the plastic coating.
    "
    Yeah.

I used to post that the only difference is durability - but my fingers have grown tired posting about this type of thing.
    "
    Mods need to be tough!
    Buzzer_Beater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Buzzer_Beater

I think the more expensive ones are stronger and are less likely to break down. That doesn't mean the cheap ones will break down. You just have to be really really careful.

grainger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By grainger
    Buzzer_Beater said:
    "I think the more expensive ones are stronger and are less likely to break down. That doesn't mean the cheap ones will break down. You just have to be really really careful.
    "
    well on a count that i never disconnect or mess about with my cable i dont think it's at much rish of getting knackered
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince

I still prefer monster cables.

Teqonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Teqonix

You certainly don't need a really expensive cable for HDMI. Since HDMI is a completely digital signal, the cable is either going to work, or it's not. Therefore, a "higher quality" (read: more expensive) cable isn't going to do much of anything for you (save for maybe durability). Get the cheapest HDMI cable you can find, I guarentee it will work fine for you.

It's really surprising how companies can still jack up the costs of cables so much - it's like they've hoodwinked the entire populace and made them think that you can only get good results with a billion-dollar cable. I guess that may have been true in the analog days, but not so much anymore with the transistion to digital..

GiantBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GiantBomber

And here I was thinking I HAVE to buy a "Monster" brand HDMI cable to get the best picture..

God damn sales reps... I used to be one...

RicaGil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RicaGil

HDMI cables are all the same, the diference is really the brand. Sony HDMI cables are much more expensive than an HDMI of an unknown brand. Monster brand HDMI cables are just more resistant and there might me some extremely minor changes in the image such as the colour but it is almost unnoticable.

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Will1Lucky

I've been using a cheap 3rd party £10 cable since christmas I bought for the new HDTV, I reguarly move the PS3 though between my room and the living room with the HDTV and the difference is already big enough I dont think there is a need for something better.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By heretrix

Since the signal is digital, there is no difference since you are basically transmitting 0's and 1's, basic data..If you are going to run the HDMI over a long distance then you might want to get a higher quality cable for that. For any runs under 20 feet, expensive cables are a waste of cash.

What I would like to see is a better connector on the HDMI cable. The current one is flimsy as hell.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By super_machine

The only difference is the cost and quality of the materials they use. Functionally they all work the same.

Stray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Stray

Like people pointed out, there's no difference in cables except durability. A good cable will last forever, and a cheap one wont. Well if you move it a ton.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince

It's important to point out that a good cable does produce a marginally better picture, if you know what to look for. Not always, but depending on your display it might.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.