Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

My PS3 had a huge electric spark, I need help.

patchsaysboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well basically I was about to turn my playstation on when I noticed the standby light wasn't on and it wouldn't turn on at all. I unplugged it, fiddled around with and nothing happened. So I thought the fuse must have gone during the night or something so I replaced the fuse with the one from my old playstation (they're the same amp) and as soon as I plugged it back in again there was a huge electric spark at the back! I immediately switched it off at the wall and unplugged all wires connecting to it. I put it on my bed and the back of it smelt like fire. Is there any way that this can be salvaged or fixed so I can get the data? I spoke to my friend who's good with computers the other day and he said he can fix it for me but didn't say whether or not the system would format itself. I really need the data that's on my PS3 so any useful advice would be brilliant, thanks.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

You replaced a fuse inside the PlayStation? I see no reason why you couldn't just take out the hard-drive and make a copy of it on your PC.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm not certain, but if it's just the power supply that went, I think your data should be ok if you can get it working again.

patchsaysboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By patchsaysboo

I replaced the fuse in the plug ahaa, i'll have a word with my mate who's good with technology and see what he thinks he can do. Cheers

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This thread is pretty spooky.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Once the magic smoke comes out, things don't work no more. Hard to get that smoke back in there.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

If the damage is electrical or on the board this won't corrupt your HD unless the HD was fried from whatever you did.

So you can save the data if the HD wasn't fried. No way to know if that is the case just from you describing what happened, though. Sorry, all I can tell you is it's possible and any fixes he would do wouldn't affect the HD unless one of those fixes was replacing the HD entirely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.